Detroit Autorama 2013 (Picture Heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 12:33 PM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Detroit Autorama 2013 (Picture Heavy)

Again, this year nothing less than amazing. Leading off with our own forum member Cruisin Davey G.

Got my own shot with Chip and Ms Pirelli, was able to meet Linda Vaughn (Ms Hurst), Courtney Hansen (Power Block and Overhaulin), Mike Curtis (Coddington and Overhaulin), Charlie Hutton (painter from Coddington and Overhaulin) and some others. Great time as always.

Enjoy!

Terry

Old 03-10-2013, 01:15 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! There's some amazing work that went into those cars. But when I see customized Corvettes, it just makes me realize what a fantastic job the designers did on them. I almost never like the customized ones better than the ones off the assembly line.

And what was that yellow thing that opened in the front???
Old 03-10-2013, 01:26 PM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

It is a Dodge Deora concept vehicle from the 60's that never hit the streets. It was Dodge's version of the El Camino or Ranchero. I don't know why it never made it. The designer moved from Chrysler to Mattel and took his design with him to the Hot wheels line-up and also made a plastic model of it.

Terry
Old 03-10-2013, 01:41 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Great pics!!
Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-10-2013, 02:01 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by my 76 ray
Wow! There's some amazing work that went into those cars. But when I see customized Corvettes, it just makes me realize what a fantastic job the designers did on them. I almost never like the customized ones better than the ones off the assembly line.

And what was that yellow thing that opened in the front???
While I may not care for the end result I do appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into those customs. Thanks for the pics.

Regarding Courtney Hansen, she's not too hard on the eyes and she may be very nice, but after hearing her talk on those shows I'm convinced that if you cut off her head she wouldn't be any dumber.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:01 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Great pics, lots of nice cars, thanks for posting Terry
My cousin was there also
Old 03-10-2013, 03:52 PM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HOOAH
Again, this year nothing less than amazing. Leading off with our own forum member Cruisin Davey G.

Got my own shot with Chip and Ms Pirelli, was able to meet Linda Vaughn (Ms Hurst), Courtney Hansen (Power Block and Overhaulin), Mike Curtis (Coddington and Overhaulin), Charlie Hutton (painter from Coddington and Overhaulin) and some others. Great time as always.

Enjoy!

Terry

Terry--

Thanks for the photos... CDG, your car is the bomb!!! Love the look (plus the custom interior)...

Rogman
Old 03-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Many of those very nice cars are spoiled by the big wheel fetish of today.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi H,
Thanks VERY much for taking the pictures and also for posting them
Some beautiful craftsmanship in those cars!!!!!
I was struck by the 55/56 (?) Ford convertible. I liked the look of the Halibrands!
Thanks Again!
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-10-2013, 07:30 PM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

A nice show indeed. I spent the day there yesterday (Saturday). It was good to see the place so packed with people, indicating an improving economy to me.

I spent a lonnnnggggg time ogling the Lemans Blue '69 convertible pictured in this thread. It came from Delaware for the exhibit.

A spectacular body off restoration and a great display too. It is a 427/390 with high options. I saw power windows, side exhaust, A.I.R., air conditioning, rear window defrost and (I think-can't remember) leather seats. I REALLY liked this car. A stand out as far as I'm concerned.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went to the Autorama show when they first first started doing it, and really wasn't that impressed with it. Looks like it really evolved now, and considering putting one of my cars in it, but not sure how much of pain it is, even though I'm only 20 min from Cobo. I have a retired car freind nearby, so have a ride. Have to look into it a bit more. Mark
Old 03-10-2013, 08:09 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Nice photos (I agree with Paul on the wheels). Thanks for posting!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:39 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by HOOAH
It is a Dodge Deora concept vehicle from the 60's that never hit the streets. It was Dodge's version of the El Camino or Ranchero. I don't know why it never made it. The designer moved from Chrysler to Mattel and took his design with him to the Hot wheels line-up and also made a plastic model of it.

Terry
The Dodge concept was built by the Alexander Brothers who back in the day were pretty well known for building some iconic customs.

HOOAH thanks for the pictures. The quality of the cars is nothing short of amazing whether they appeal to ones taste or not.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Redwing01
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Just got home from the Autorama myself, don't know how you found a clear spot to take pics cause every time I tried there were people walking thru the shot!!! Lol
Was one awesome show this year and a much larger crowd as well
Great pics , thanks
Old 03-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Cruisin Davey G
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detroit Autorama 2013 (Picture Heavy)

OK ..... I Guess I'll 'Chime' in here.

1st off, I'd like to thank Terry for posting some real nice pictures.

I'll just ad one more .....

The 'Riddler' Award Winner:

When they Pushed this one onto the Carpet Thursday Morning, I knew right there, this was the 'Winner'. If it didn't win, there was something wrong. There was a real nice Black 'Mid-Year' Corvette in the Riddler Running & even made the Great Eight, but it's hard for a Vette to win Autorama's Riddler Award.

As for other Comments made on this 'Thread'.

All of the 'Stock' Vettes are nice. BUT, you can only take so much. Everytime I go to a Vette Show, I see rows & rows of pure Stock Vettes. It's almost a 'Cookie-Cutter' syndrom. BUT, like a good Car Enthusiast, I like them all & respect others in their tastes & preferences.

As for the comment about the Wheel Size. Yes, I agree, some of those wheels do not go with certain cars. The rims on Mine are 17's & just the right size for the look I was after. I tried 20's & it made it look like a 'pimp-mobile' So, as far as wheels go. Keep it real & You can't go wrong

As for the post about putting a ride into Autorama. All I can say is, it is a lot of work, but enjoyable, if you let it. You almost have to have help & the more ther merrier. Having an enclosed trailer helps, because it's Michigan, & you never know what the weather will be like.

I would also like to thank everyone on this Forum for their kind words about my '72 & for all of your help & suggestions on how to 'get 'er done'. It was a fun project, complete with good & bad times.

So now, the 2013 Detroit AutoRama is all but a memory, but good memories.

I had a 'Blast' there, but I'm not as young as I'd like to be & it was tiring.

All in All, AutoRama is possibly one of the Greatest Shows Around !

Take care everyone & thanks again !

CRUISIN' DAVEY G !
Old 03-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Stroh
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 152 Posts

Hooah! You rock. Awesome shots Terry. Thanks for posting. I'm completely jealous... The Foose and a lot of eye candy. I shoulda went with you.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Thanks for sharing, 72 vette is so beautiful, great pictures!
My 73 Camaro was worked on by the 1983 Ridler award winner, Ron Barum, and painted by the guys who spent countless hours sanding the winner to perfection. Sadly Ron and his wife died towing the car to the Houston show that yr. Anyway, I love customs.

Get notified of new replies

To Detroit Autorama 2013 (Picture Heavy)

Old 03-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Cruisin Davey G
Instructor

Default 2013 Detroit AutoRama

Originally Posted by Stroh
Hooah! You rock. Awesome shots Terry. Thanks for posting. I'm completely jealous... The Foose and a lot of eye candy. I shoulda went with you.

Speaking of Terry Getting A pic with Chip. My son got one with him too, standing with the car. Unfortunately, I wasn't around at the time.

Chip also signed my center console.

Cruisin Davey G !
Old 03-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Cruisin Davey G
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sunstroked
Thanks for sharing, 72 vette is so beautiful, great pictures!
My 73 Camaro was worked on by the 1983 Ridler award winner, Ron Barum, and painted by the guys who spent countless hours sanding the winner to perfection. Sadly Ron and his wife died towing the car to the Houston show that yr. Anyway, I love customs.
Yeah, Ronnie Barnum was a great guy. He worked on one of my vettes back in the 80's Super Guy. Remember his shop well, over on Quarry Road. He's Missed, fer sure.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:12 PM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Received 960 Likes on 597 Posts

Congratulations, car looks amazing.

I think it is hard to comprehend how much work goes into some of the cars that are shown there.

Thanks for all the photos guys.

Quick Reply: Detroit Autorama 2013 (Picture Heavy)