69 Road Race inspired Coupe...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 10:02 PM
2ndGen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 Road Race inspired Coupe...

Well just when I was getting wrapped up with the Sunray DX Clone,

I decided to take the giant leap and go into "coupe" territory with another build...

I have always stuck to verts, and in particular 68 verts, so I am Rockin my boat here!!

So, how about a 69 Road Race Coupe????

Here she is, just painted....

I found a cool Blue color, and I think the paint scheme fits the coupe body just fine....

This one will have an industrial no frills look with Painted Rallyes, fitted with Goodyear Blue Streaks to match the white of the car, and some other cool details that will follow in the next few weeks.....

Fuel cell, roll cage, and all other race items will remain as usual..

More to follow shortly...

Enjoy..

Old 03-04-2013, 10:27 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Beautiful paint as always! Yes it suits a coupe very well. The blue while different looks great with the white. I'll be curious to see this one done as the wheel and tire choise is different than the 2 usual choises.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:46 PM
2ndGen
Advanced

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
Beautiful paint as always! Yes it suits a coupe very well. The blue while different looks great with the white. I'll be curious to see this one done as the wheel and tire choise is different than the 2 usual choises.
The color is a really nice Grayish mettalic Blue. It is a GM color from the 70's.

It looks very nice against the white..

As far as wheels, I really wanted to give this car an urban, rugged, no frills look...

It should come together nicely...
Old 03-05-2013, 12:45 AM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Old 03-05-2013, 06:19 AM
bkvette3
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 82 Posts

As always - just beautiful BK3
Old 03-05-2013, 06:30 AM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

I love the red pinstripe, makes it pop. Gorgeous work, as always.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:51 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 857 Likes on 628 Posts

Stan, a question hopefully not too far off topic. I am curious as to the ground clearance difference between the Hooker sidemounts on this car as opposed to the Stahl's you used on the Red a White car. I am contemplating a move to the Stahl's and you are the only one I can think of that has experience with both. Beautiful work as usual Stan. Thanks,

Bill
Old 03-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Tin_Can_Terminator
Advanced

That looks great !!

I am in the works of building a 1968 Scuderia Filipinetti tribute car out of my 1980 vette. I will have the white front with the race stripe and the #3 decals and all other decals. I will also have the side pipes. just got the wheels and tires. I am not shooting for a replica but just a tribute car. I will add a few custom tweeks here and there. I will post a pic when I get time.

TCT
Old 03-05-2013, 10:13 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Love the color and the graphics! The white side pipes are really cool too! I'll bet it's gonna come out nice!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:06 PM
vsquires
Intermediate

I like the color combo a lot. Are you going to put numbers on it?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 PM
2ndGen
Advanced

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
Stan, a question hopefully not too far off topic. I am curious as to the ground clearance difference between the Hooker sidemounts on this car as opposed to the Stahl's you used on the Red a White car. I am contemplating a move to the Stahl's and you are the only one I can think of that has experience with both. Beautiful work as usual Stan. Thanks,

Bill
Hey Bill, Ground clearance is about the same,as the Stahl pipes are also 4", so no worries there.

The Stahl pipes are a bit shorter, and the headers are shaped differently.

I would not hesitate the swap..
Old 03-05-2013, 10:16 PM
2ndGen
Advanced

Originally Posted by vsquires
I like the color combo a lot. Are you going to put numbers on it?

Yes, the car will get a number, and some period correct sponsor decals..
Old 03-05-2013, 10:24 PM
GPGG70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndGen
Yes, the car will get a number, and some period correct sponsor decals..
Whats the rule of thumb if I where to put period correct sponsor decals on my car if i did a race theme. Just curious.
BTW I'm watching this car/thread.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:35 PM
2ndGen
Advanced

Originally Posted by GPGG70
Whats the rule of thumb if I where to put period correct sponsor decals on my car if i did a race theme. Just curious.
BTW I'm watching this car/thread.
As far as choosing which ones to use, I have looked at many original race cars, and for the most part stick with sponsors that were used during that time on vettes.

If I use anything more modern, it is because someone let me use a certain product on the car, for the build..(usualy paint materials)

The cars I do for my self are not clones, per say, but what I feel would have been a realistic car built at the time.. So, I stick with a theme, and try to be as accurate as possible in the style of decal, etc...
Old 03-05-2013, 10:43 PM
GPGG70
Drifting

As far as choosing which ones to use, I have looked at many original race cars, and for the most part stick with sponsors that were used during that time on vettes.

If I use anything more modern, it is because someone let me use a certain product on the car, for the build..(usualy paint materials)

The cars I do for my self are not clones, per say, but what I feel would have been a realistic car built at the time.. So, I stick with a theme, and try to be as accurate as possible in the style of decal, etc...
Thank you very much for the information. So it's safe to say if I where to use XYZ oil company sticker from that time era, they being XYZ oil co wont object to having one of there stickers on a old rebuilt corvette.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:59 PM
2ndGen
Advanced

Originally Posted by GPGG70
Thank you very much for the information. So it's safe to say if I where to use XYZ oil company sticker from that time era, they being XYZ oil co wont object to having one of there stickers on a old rebuilt corvette.

I dont think you will have an issue.. If anything, you are advertising for them for free

When I did my first "GULF" car, everyone at the local Gulf station would get a kick when I went there to fill up..
Old 03-05-2013, 11:19 PM
GPGG70
Drifting

I dont think you will have an issue.. If anything, you are advertising for them for free

When I did my first "GULF" car, everyone at the local Gulf station would get a kick when I went there to fill up..
Great!! Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To 69 Road Race inspired Coupe...

Old 03-06-2013, 06:54 AM
69Pman
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Really cool project and paint scheme! Just a question about the car itself.. what was the car when you first acquired it? Did you drop a different motor under the hood or just keep the original? And what else do you plan on doing to the car, ie. suspension, rear end, etc.? I ask because I would love to have a project like this where I could take a 69 that's in pretty rough condition and turn it into a vintage racer. This would be a great thread to get an idea of how to start.
Phil
Old 03-06-2013, 04:10 PM
RickyBerg
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Beautiful!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:12 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Pman
Really cool project and paint scheme! Just a question about the car itself.. what was the car when you first acquired it? Did you drop a different motor under the hood or just keep the original? And what else do you plan on doing to the car, ie. suspension, rear end, etc.? I ask because I would love to have a project like this where I could take a 69 that's in pretty rough condition and turn it into a vintage racer. This would be a great thread to get an idea of how to start.
Phil
This thread will get you started.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...ck-it-out.html
After you read through it click on the member profile and go to threads started by this user. Stan has posted several build threads and you will get lots of info and ideas from the threads. You can as google "2nd generation automotive restorations" and look throught his webside at the road race inspired Corvette pictures.

Quick Reply: 69 Road Race inspired Coupe...