Sponsored by:

Loose mirror

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 01:38 PM
San Diego Ron
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Loose mirror

My '77 has loose driver's side mirror. Have looked at past posts and learned mirror should pull off from plastic tabs exposing loose bolts that can then be tightened without removing from door. Glass part is loose but will not pull loose from housing. I have used small pry bar behind glass and this didn't help. Mirror is manual and has no inside control.

Could someone please help before I break something.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:59 PM
dgood
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I pulled my mirror off when I painted it, I took the two bolts off inside the door panel and removed the mirror. Looking up into the mirror there was another bolt that was used for tightening the top part of the mirror.

Never heard of doing it from the outside.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:26 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,609 Posts

No idea what posts you saw but as stated above you have to remove the complete mirror from the door by opening the interior door panel.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:34 PM
San Diego Ron
Instructor

OK, the door panel has to come off, what about the window glass, is it going to be in the way? Even with mirror removed from door how can I get the glass of mirrow back into position...it is also loose in there with something probably broken? Thanks for any help.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:38 PM
dgood
Burning Brakes

You don't have to take the window out I don't think. It would make it easier. Just use a bunch of extensions and I think the nut is a 3/8s. Once you get the mirror off, you will be able to see the nut the holds the top part of the mirror on. I have never taken mine apart so I can't help you with that.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:42 PM
dgood
Burning Brakes

Have someone hold the mirror while you take the nuts off, I would hate for you to drop it. You do have to have the window all the way up to get to the nuts that hold it to the door. There is a plastic/rubber seal between the mirror and door, don't loose it and while you have it off, clean it up so you never have to do it again.

Make sure there are no kids around while you are doing this, it can be very frustrating and you will swear. If you can, break your wrist, you will be able to get your hands up in there a lot easier and it will make the job go so much quicker
Old 03-04-2013, 03:13 PM
San Diego Ron
Instructor

OK, I'm going in...let you know how it went and what i find
Old 03-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Purchase the 77 assembly instruction manual (AIM). It shows how the mirrors were installed. Helps knowing how they were installed before taking one off.

AIM also shows where the lower window stops are located in the event you have to lower the door glass at tad to reach the mirror nuts.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:36 PM
San Diego Ron
Instructor

Wasted day and still have loose sport mirror. With door panel off unable to get anything on the one nut behind door glass I could see to loosen it...the other one is in never never land and never did see it. Looks to me that window needs to come out and not getting into that just yet...Hey Buba, got any duck tape to spare? ...and I did crack the mirror.

Get notified of new replies

To Loose mirror

Quick Reply: Loose mirror