Sponsored by:

82 power antenna on the fritz??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 01:29 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 82 power antenna on the fritz??

I started my car today the first time in a long time and when I turned the radio on the factory power antenna worked as normal. Well later tonight I was playing around with the fuel pressure and every time I started the car the power antenna would go up and down until the last time. The motor was continually running but the mast was up. I ended having to push the mast down to make the motor quit running. When turned back on the mast only comes up 3 inches. Keep in mind this is a factory NOS unit that I put in last fall. What do you think happened and can it be fixed??
Old 02-24-2013, 08:49 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alconk
I started my car today the first time in a long time and when I turned the radio on the factory power antenna worked as normal. Well later tonight I was playing around with the fuel pressure and every time I started the car the power antenna would go up and down until the last time. The motor was continually running but the mast was up. I ended having to push the mast down to make the motor quit running. When turned back on the mast only comes up 3 inches. Keep in mind this is a factory NOS unit that I put in last fall. What do you think happened and can it be fixed??
Thats weird! Were you playing around in the storage compartment where the power antenna relay is?
Old 02-24-2013, 12:39 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jdp6000
Thats weird! Were you playing around in the storage compartment where the power antenna relay is?
Nope! The only thing I can think of is that the nylon mast came off the gearing??
Old 02-25-2013, 01:51 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Well I took apart the assembly and it looks like the nylon line popped out but the quest is how in the heck does it go together. I have checked the web and found nothing??
Old 02-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Have you thought about leaving it up, say, 6" or so, put a black vacuum cap on the top, buy a long piece of black heat shrink tubing from Harbour Freight or elsewhere to cover cap and mast, shrink nice and tight and be done with it. I got tired of mine breaking about every 6+ years and did not have the "strength" to replace it one more time. So, just did that.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine has very strong reception all the way down. No plans of fixing it as I like it down. Wonder if an aftermarket antenna would install and last a bit longer?
Old 02-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Arkyvette
Mine has very strong reception all the way down. No plans of fixing it as I like it down. Wonder if an aftermarket antenna would install and last a bit longer?
Two of mine were aftermarket. They just seem to die for some reason.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:24 PM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

I keep telling you guys. The only one almost exactly the same is out of an 92 or 93 or94 Cadillac. Its in the rear of these cars. Because the Cadillac fender is on an angle the top of the shaft the mast is in is cut on a 60-70 degree angle. The cut is the difference. The solid crome ring out of a 1997 Mecury Sable is the perfect length to make up for the 60-70 degree angle cut on the caddy power antenna. It screws right in for a nice finish.

I know. My friend owns a scrap yard. I had to go through about 20 of these before I found the right combination.

You will never replace just the nyon. I was never able to find one the exact thickness.

Jim

Jim

Last edited by jdp6000; 02-25-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:39 PM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

I believe it was this design

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delco-power-...8f7e6d&vxp=mtr

Unfortunately I can not find the Mercury Sable beauty ring.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:31 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

I found the problem, at the end of the nylon mast is a metal hook that attaches to the gear wheel. Right where the metal and nylon connect it broke. I have ordered a replacement mast from one of the vendors here on the site. We'll see hoe it goes.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:33 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Larry82
Have you thought about leaving it up, say, 6" or so, put a black vacuum cap on the top, buy a long piece of black heat shrink tubing from Harbour Freight or elsewhere to cover cap and mast, shrink nice and tight and be done with it. I got tired of mine breaking about every 6+ years and did not have the "strength" to replace it one more time. So, just did that.

I like that but I'm gonna fix mine. If it does it again, then yea maybe.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:53 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

I actually own a 93 Cadillac DeVille and YES the antenna is basically the same. I've owned this car for many years (don't drive it much anymore). But I've rebuilt that antenna many times over the years. Cold winters, ice and age are tough on them. The metal hook on the end does break, so does the point where the metal end attaches to the nylon chord. There is a hard flexible wire in the center of the nylon chord down at the bottom and eventually, the nylon becomes brittle with age, then cracks develop, which they all will eventually do, the wire rusts through due to water migrating down the mast (expecially if it doesn't close 100% tight or the drain is plugged (make sure your antenna drain works properly) and then it breaks free. A replacement mast and chord is about $25 (DeVille or Corvette) and isn't too difficult to replace if you have moderate mechanical skills. There is a website called antennaMastsRus and they sell the kits as cheap as anyone. Good luck.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To 82 power antenna on the fritz??

Quick Reply: 82 power antenna on the fritz??