Sponsored by:

Tax on collector cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mashman
Because there are too many people who depend on meager handouts from the government for their existence. The pity is that they don't realize that it is the government that is keeping them dependent on it.

This is why the left is so he11-bent on amnesty for illegal immigrants, with one stroke of the pen they could create 10+ million new citizens dependant on government assistence, willing to vote for whatever Democrat happened to be running.
Those depending on handouts are your nations greatest natural resource....LOL. Cheaper then child labor in China. You already pay them why not get them to bend a few coat hangers in a factory? If a 9 year old in China can do it I'm sure a 35 year old leach can also do it.

I've always felt that those relying on handouts should have to work in labor factories making things we have to import. Make them work for their handout.

The middle class seem to support everyone....they make the rich richer and get taxed to support the poor. Nothing is left...

Last edited by jdp6000; 02-14-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Redwing01
When you purchase a collector car here in Ontario (25 yrs or older) you need to get it appraised , you pay the tax on the higher amount.
Purchase - 10 grand , appraised @ 12 grand , you pay the tax on the 12 grand. It's a joke.
Pretty much the same everywhere AFAIK.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:30 AM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

No special collector taxes here yet,(just a matter of time before one of those desk jockey leeches copies anther jurisdiction's idea)just pay your HST on purchase,for older vehicles they generally take your word for it's value but do have a reference database to keep you honest.One good program here is the collector car plate one,$26/month for registration and insurance for my '74.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The idea is correct. Here is the quote: The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.”
Alexis de Tocqueville

They have been doing that for 100 years now!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:29 PM
KevinG
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PRNDL
We have a very similar (identical?) tax law in North Carolina. The assessed value of an antique vehicle is limited to $500, which makes for a nominal property tax. Your regular driver vehicles are assessed at more or less market value. If NC changed the property tax law I would give some very serious thought to selling my vette.
I'd just move out of state. After hearing about VA, NC and SC's personal property tax laws, I eliminated them from where I will be moving to. TX here I come within 24 months
Old 02-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 148 Posts

The ultimate collector car tax will be capital gains upon sale. Not very realistic in recent years, but just wait until hyper inflation kicks in and most all of our cars actually increase in value...above what we have spent. The new sources of revenue experts at the IRS will undoubtedly be right on top of this...like ugly on ape. It's already in their publications, so you better save your receipts.

Last edited by Faster Rat; 02-14-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:07 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

as PRNDL posted, if you have an antique plate in north carolina the tax value is $500, which results in a tax of $5.01. i don't like paying taxes any more than the next guy, but i can live with that amount. however, i do pay $150 tax and another $60 for the license plate on my truck-that pisses me off!
Old 02-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Sxrxrnr
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mashman
Because there are too many people who depend on meager handouts from the government for their existence. The pity is that they don't realize that it is the government that is keeping them dependent on it.

This is why the left is so he11-bent on amnesty for illegal immigrants, with one stroke of the pen they could create 10+ million new citizens dependant on government assistence, willing to vote for whatever Democrat happened to be running.
You left out the really big number. Once a citizen you can import your relatives who automatically can go on the dole,,,,,please forget all the so called signing any promises that you will be responsible for them and that they will not be a burden to the government..

A friend of mine who was married to an American got her citizenship after a couple of years. She immediately sponsored her mother and father who once upon landing in the USA, signed up for Medi-Cal (mother then had breast cancer surgery and father had a heart bypass on the taxpayer), section 8 housing so that they get a 2,000 dollar monthly apartment for some 800.00, tried for food-stamps(were told something like a 2 year wait to qualify,,,surely that will change soon) and a myriad of other government services like SSI of some 800 dollars monthly for each parent. Her mother and father own 3 homes in China where they go back to live several months each year and then return the USA to keep their green card active. So much for not being a burden to the American worker who pays the freight and sacrifice their quality of life as the Politicos in charge buy votes with their largess at someone else expense.

I won't bother to rant about the 11 million plus, plus, plus illegals and what they cost us,,,,,except to say that doing the work that Americans refuse to do, does keep our cost of a head of cabbage to 2 bucks.

She now my friend has sponsored her adult sister and her husband and children who now are on a waiting list,,,,will take awhile but eventually will be here too.

So let's legalize via amnesty 11,000,000 million plus more illegals(the legals are already killing our government programs,,,welfare, education, health care and criminal justice,,,not to mention their 1000's of American crime victims) who will be voters who will continue to vote these programs(and we know what party that will be),,,,,and the beat goes on.

Pogo was of course correct,,,"we have met the enemy and the enemy is us".

Would love to hear any argument from an opposing point of view that can justify such moronic behavior of our government.

Last edited by Sxrxrnr; 02-14-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-14-2013, 04:13 PM
CTVETTE78
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This governor has been creating more and more ways to take $$$ from working people to fund entitlement programs; this is just one more. Just last week they announced that Amazon purchases will now be taxed.

If it goes through, I will register all of my cars to my daughters address in another state. Screw em. It sucks living in a blue state.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:07 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sxrxrnr
You left out the really big number. Once a citizen you can import your relatives who automatically can go on the dole,,,,,please forget all the so called signing any promises that you will be responsible for them and that they will not be a burden to the government..

A friend of mine who was married to an American got her citizenship after a couple of years. She immediately sponsored her mother and father who once upon landing in the USA, signed up for Medi-Cal (mother then had breast cancer surgery and father had a heart bypass on the taxpayer), section 8 housing so that they get a 2,000 dollar monthly apartment for some 800.00, tried for food-stamps(were told something like a 2 year wait to qualify,,,surely that will change soon) and a myriad of other government services like SSI of some 800 dollars monthly for each parent. Her mother and father own 3 homes in China where they go back to live several months each year and then return the USA to keep their green card active. So much for not being a burden to the American worker who pays the freight and sacrifice their quality of life as the Politicos in charge buy votes with their largess at someone else expense.

I won't bother to rant about the 11 million plus, plus, plus illegals and what they cost us,,,,,except to say that doing the work that Americans refuse to do, does keep our cost of a head of cabbage to 2 bucks.

She now my friend has sponsored her adult sister and her husband and children who now are on a waiting list,,,,will take awhile but eventually will be here too.

So let's legalize via amnesty 11,000,000 million plus more illegals(the legals are already killing our government programs,,,welfare, education, health care and criminal justice,,,not to mention their 1000's of American crime victims) who will be voters who will continue to vote these programs(and we know what party that will be),,,,,and the beat goes on.

Pogo was of course correct,,,"we have met the enemy and the enemy is us".

Would love to hear any argument from an opposing point of view that can justify such moronic behavior of our government.
Hop over to PR&C for a bit. There are quite a few self-proclaimed geniuses over there who will be more than happy to set you straight for your narrow-minded, intolerant, extremist, and bigoted ways...
Old 02-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Sxrxrnr
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by birdsmith
Hop over to PR&C for a bit. There are quite a few self-proclaimed geniuses over there who will be more than happy to set you straight for your narrow-minded, intolerant, extremist, and bigoted ways...
When the facts are against you, argue the law. When the law and facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell,,,,or as too many are wont to do when not blessed with the wit to do otherwise, pull out the race card, or the extremest card, or the bigot card, but never a cogent response to the debate. Worked for OJ(for a short time).

Oh hell, I lost my head again and forgot to say that my wife, son and granddaughter are Chinese and they too are po'd,,,,except for my granddaughter, she's too young to voice an opinion(yet).

I'm done.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Sxrxrnr; 02-14-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 PM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

I really feel for you guys

Down here in Oz we pay 3% of the purchase price in stamp duty (tax)
on the purchase price for secondhand vehicles and here in Queensland,
the annual vehicle registration for a V8 is over $1000 regardless of
age. It is similar in other states. Western Australia is the only state that
I know of that has a special rego rate for vintage vehicles. Not sure
what the rate is.

We also pay 48.5c/L tax on our fuel which is around $1.55/L for 91 oct.
and $1.65/L for 98 oct. inc. tax.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:43 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I'd just move out of state. After hearing about VA, NC and SC's personal property tax laws, I eliminated them from where I will be moving to. TX here I come within 24 months
If that kind of stuff bothers you, do your research thoroughly before moving. We have friends in Austin who are selling their home because the property taxes are so high. States without income tax are nice (if you have income ) but the government needs to raise money one way or the other.

And for everyone worried about all of them there teet suckers living free and high on the hog of en my hard earned middle class tax money..... don't internalize all that hate, anger and envy. It will eat you up from the inside.

I didn't even register my car as an antique until I got my second or third tax bill. First one was something like $90 and I figured, ok, i can deal with that, but then when they bumped up my assessed value (apparently from my insured value) and my tax bill was over $200 I just registered the car as an antique vehicle and told the greedy bastards to eff off... They weren't happy with $90? OK, how do you like $5.01?

Quick Reply: Tax on collector cars