Sponsored by:

Florida Vintage and Antique Vehicle License for your Old Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 11:42 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Default Florida Vintage and Antique Vehicle License for your Old Corvette

If you have a Corvette that is older than 30 years in Florida, you can get special rates on your license renewal. However, it isn't what it seems.

The statutes state that it is $10.25 per year for antique vehicles defined by 320.086 but when you get your registration, it is over $30.

http://archive.flsenate.gov/statutes...s/0320.08.html

320.08 License taxes.—Except as otherwise provided herein, there are hereby levied and imposed annual license taxes for the operation of motor vehicles, mopeds, motorized bicycles as defined in s. 316.003(2), tri-vehicles as defined in s. 316.003, and mobile homes, as defined in s. 320.01, which shall be paid to and collected by the department or its agent upon the registration or renewal of registration of the following:
(1) MOTORCYCLES AND MOPEDS.—
(a) Any motorcycle: $13.50 flat, of which $3.50 shall be deposited into the General Revenue Fund.
(b) Any moped: $6.75 flat, of which $1.75 shall be deposited into the General Revenue Fund.
(c) Upon registration of any motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or moped there shall be paid in addition to the license taxes specified in this subsection a nonrefundable motorcycle safety education fee in the amount of $2.50. The proceeds of such additional fee shall be deposited in the Highway Safety Operating Trust Fund to fund a motorcycle driver improvement program implemented pursuant to s. 322.025, the Florida Motorcycle Safety Education Program established in s. 322.0255, or the general operations of the department.
(d) An ancient or antique motorcycle: $8.50 flat, of which $3.50 shall be deposited into the General Revenue Fund.
(2) AUTOMOBILES OR TRI-VEHICLES FOR PRIVATE USE.—
(a) An ancient or antique automobile, as defined in s. 320.086, or a street rod, as defined in s. 320.0863: $10.25 flat, of which $2.75 shall be deposited into the General Revenue Fund.

(b) Net weight of less than 2,500 pounds: $19.50 flat, of which $5 shall be deposited into the General Revenue Fund.
(c) Net weight of 2,500 pounds or more, but less than 3,500 pounds: $30.50 flat, of which $8 shall be deposited into the General Revenue Fund.
(d) Net weight of 3,500 pounds or more: $44 flat, of which $11.50 shall be deposited into the General Revenue Fund.

320.086 Ancient or antique motor vehicles; horseless carriage, antique, or historical license plates; former military vehicles.—
(1) The owner of a motor vehicle for private use manufactured in 1945 or earlier, equipped with an engine manufactured in 1945 or earlier or manufactured to the specifications of the original engine, and operated on the streets and highways of this state shall, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department and upon payment of the license tax for an ancient motor vehicle prescribed by s. 320.08(1)(d), (2)(a), or (3)(e), be issued a special license plate for such motor vehicle. The license plate shall be permanent and valid for use without renewal so long as the vehicle is in existence. In addition to the payment of all other fees required by law, the applicant shall pay such fee for the issuance of the special license plate as may be prescribed by the department commensurate with the cost of its manufacture. The registration numbers and special license plates assigned to such motor vehicles shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with “Horseless Carriage No. 1,” and the plates shall be of a distinguishing color.
B](2)(a) The owner of a motor vehicle for private use manufactured after 1945 and of the age of 30 years or more after the date of manufacture, equipped with an engine of the age of 30 years or more after the date of manufacture, and operated on the streets and highways of this state may, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department and upon payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08(1)(d), (2)(a), or (3)(e), be issued a special license plate for such motor vehicle. [/B]In addition to the payment of all other fees required by law, the applicant shall pay the fee for the issuance of the special license plate prescribed by the department, commensurate with the cost of its manufacture. The registration numbers and special license plates assigned to such motor vehicles shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with “Antique No. 1,” and the plates shall be of a distinguishing color. The owner of the motor vehicle may, upon application and payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08, be issued a regular Florida license plate or specialty license plate in lieu of the special “Antique” license plate.
(b) Motor vehicles licensed under this section which have been issued a permanent license plate prior to October 1, 1999, shall maintain such plate unless the vehicle is transferred to a new owner. Motor vehicles licensed under this section which have been issued a “Collectible” license plate prior to October 1, 1999, may retain that license plate until the next regularly scheduled replacement.
(3) The owner of an ancient or antique firefighting apparatus, former military vehicle, or other historical motor vehicle 30 years old or older which is used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display may, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department and upon payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08(2)(a), be issued a license plate as prescribed in subsection (1) or subsection (2). License plates issued under this subsection shall be permanent and valid for use without renewal as long as the vehicle is in existence and its use is consistent with this subsection.
(4) Any person who is the registered owner of a motor vehicle as defined in this section and manufactured in the model year 1974 or earlier may apply to the department for permission to use a historical Florida license plate that clearly represents the model year of the vehicle as a personalized prestige license plate. This plate shall be furnished by such person and shall be presented to the department with a reasonable fee to be determined by the department for approval and for authentication that the historic license plate and any applicable decals were issued by this state in the same year as the model year of the car or truck. The requirements of s. 320.0805(8)(b) do not apply to historical plates authorized under this subsection.
(5) A former military vehicle that is used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display is exempt from the requirement to display a license plate or registration insignia if the exemption is necessary to maintain the vehicle’s accurate military markings. However, the license plate and registration certificate issued under this section must be carried within the vehicle and available for inspection by any law enforcement officer.
(6) For purposes of this section, “former military vehicle” means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle’s size, weight, or year of manufacture, that was manufactured for use in any country’s military forces and is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:46 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Default Corvette Shipping Weight by Year

Because Florida uses weight to tax your car for registration, you need to have the official weights. Normally this is on the title or previous registration, however, if you are getting a car from a state that doesn't include weight on the title, or is so old that the title precedes when they put weights on, then the tax collector will look up the weight.

Unfortunately, their computer may not show the weight or the correct weight. So for your benefit, there are some pages of a book to use for the weights.

1955 - 1966 Corvette weights

1967 - 1977 Corvette weights

1978 - 1990 Corvette Weights

Last edited by Procrastination Racing; 02-02-2013 at 12:16 AM. Reason: add title
Old 02-02-2013, 06:22 AM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I recently inquired about this very subject, as I need to renew my plates on the 69. They automatically charge you the antique rates based on the car year. I do not care for the blue plate, and as I prefer the personalized plate, I pay the additional $15.00 for having it say what I want.
I do not know of anyone who has been hasseled for using a blue plate, I do not like that they officially restrict how you can use an "antique".
Old 02-02-2013, 07:50 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by c69vete
I do not know of anyone who has been hasseled for using a blue plate, I do not like that they officially restrict how you can use an "antique".
I`ve never heard of any restrictions, other than those imposed by the insurance company.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:21 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by oldgto
I`ve never heard of any restrictions, other than those imposed by the insurance company.
i have the blue antique plate on my 78 and most older cars in our area do also. i have never been hassled by any law enforcement person for that. the restrictions faced are those spelled out in your insurance policy as far as i have experienced, and even there there is a certain leaway as long as it is stored in a locked garage and used for any car club or car activity like going to and from a show regardless of the distance traveled (take my word for it the distance doesn't matter at all, but thats a story for another day in my case, lol), or a parade, etc. if you don't have a classic car policy, you don't have the restrictions but you don't have agreed price recovery either.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:06 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

interesting: '63 convert is 139# lighter than a '67, wonder why? thanks for the printouts
Old 02-02-2013, 07:18 PM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Its all good. Guess there was just a misunderstsnding on my part.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:21 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
If you have a Corvette that is older than 30 years in Florida, you can get special rates on your license renewal. However, it isn't what it seems.

The statutes state that it is $10.25 per year for antique vehicles defined by 320.086 but when you get your registration, it is over $30.
The list of specific fees are itemized on your registration card.

Originally Posted by c69vete
I recently inquired about this very subject, as I need to renew my plates on the 69. They automatically charge you the antique rates based on the car year. I do not care for the blue plate, and as I prefer the personalized plate, I pay the additional $15.00 for having it say what I want.
There are no restrictions in Florida for the Antique, Custom Vehicle, Horseless Carriage, or Street Rod plates.

You can register it as Antique for a cheaper price, but still use a regular "My Florida.Com plate

Get notified of new replies

To Florida Vintage and Antique Vehicle License for your Old Corvette

Quick Reply: Florida Vintage and Antique Vehicle License for your Old Corvette