chirping exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 04:19 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Default chirping exhaust

Hi,
Long time since I have been on here. I got back from overseas on leave and wanted to take my 72 out. I cranked it up and it has started chirping out of the exhaust. Weird sound. Only way to describe it is the sound of a belt chirping. It does not get faster or louder when the rpms go up but when I pull it from P to D the chirping gets less. Only comes from the left side. (hooker sidepipes). The engine is running smooth with no missing. I cant hear anything weird coming from under the hood. I put a piece of hose to the left side valve cover and dont hear any chirping. My hope is that the suspension settled or something after being sitting for a year without being driven and that the left side pipe is rubbing against the frame or body somewhere. Does that sound probable or is there some other test I can do to check any engine piece?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Manuel Azevedo
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea I would guess a pipe rubbing somewhere. You could try holding a rag for second over the end of each side pipe and see if the sound changes any.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:00 PM
blueray72
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Start with checking all the exhaust and flange bolts..make sure they are tight. Then check for a broken gasket.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:37 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

So annoying, the sound does change when I hold a rag over the pipe. The chirping goes away when the engine is under load or being revved so it has to be a pipe rubbing just ever so slightly.

and to top it off my starter was dead this morning. ugh. I get 2 weeks before I have to fly back to Korea. I wasn't supposed to be spending it screwing with a car.

Get notified of new replies

To chirping exhaust

Quick Reply: chirping exhaust