C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What and where to LOOK when buying a 1972 corvette..

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 01:51 PM
funa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What and where to LOOK when buying a 1972 corvette..

Just wanted to know what,where and how to look for a corvette. Is there a thread for this?

thanks!

looking at a 1972 corvette today. Just wanted to know WHERE and the possible weak links to c3's.

THANKS AGAIN!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:40 PM
funa
Advanced

Thanks for the help C3 peeps.
I think i need to stick to a C5 and camaros.

after researching the c3, i am out of my league with the "birdcage" and mystery rust issues.

Thanks for all the help and replies.

Name:  oFXJY.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  123.9 KB
Name:  kIFuL.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  119.8 KB
Old 12-27-2012, 11:03 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Where are you located, I am sure that there would be some knowledgable members who could go with you and check a '72 out. It's not all that hard to spot. A C5 is definitely a different beast which combines performance and creature comforts. They are relatively inexpensive and as others will tell you bound to drop further when the C7 arrives. Good luck with your search and let us know what you ended up picking up.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:24 PM
funa
Advanced

Originally Posted by gdh
Where are you located, I am sure that there would be some knowledgable members who could go with you and check a '72 out. It's not all that hard to spot. A C5 is definitely a different beast which combines performance and creature comforts. They are relatively inexpensive and as others will tell you bound to drop further when the C7 arrives. Good luck with your search and let us know what you ended up picking up.
thanks for you reply. I am in Las vegas. if anyone is selling a c3 With chrome bumpers... let me know. I am keeping my eye on the 1972 for sale here locally.

I just need to study more on thes c3's..

thanks
Old 12-28-2012, 10:38 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

1st i call and ask
1. how long have they owned it and what repairs have they made? what does it need?
2. tag on it/drive?
3. rust ahead of rear wheels on frame?
4. cracks in paint/body?
99% fail to give me good answers and i don't go.
If it sounds real real good, too good, tell them some excuse, like your car broke down, and offer $20-100 cash on the spot if they drive it over(they keep the $$ even if i don't buy it). Liars will not bring the car.
I bought 2 cars this way, they delivered it, and they honestly described it. One, my 72 c3 i gave $100 toward a rental car as he came 100+ miles.

Last edited by Matt Gruber; 12-28-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:43 PM
funa
Advanced

Originally Posted by Matt Gruber
1st i call and ask
1. how long have they owned it and what repairs have they made? what does it need?
2. tag on it/drive?
3. rust ahead of rear wheels on frame?
4. cracks in paint/body?
99% fail to give me good answers and i don't go.
If it sounds real real good, too good, tell them some excuse, like your car broke down, and offer $20-100 cash on the spot if they drive it over(they keep the $$ even if i don't buy it). Liars will not bring the car.
I bought 2 cars this way, they delivered it, and they honestly described it. One, my 72 c3 i gave $100 toward a rental car as he came 100+ miles.
its a 1972 coupe a DEALER got from the auction.. no history..
Old 01-03-2013, 06:56 AM
PhilaScott
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by funa
Just wanted to know what,where and how to look for a corvette. Is there a thread for this?

thanks!

looking at a 1972 corvette today. Just wanted to know WHERE and the possible weak links to c3's.

THANKS AGAIN!
I would offer the following advice.
You will not be qualified to buy a 72 until you look at a least a dozen of them up close either for sale, or at Shows. I would suggest going to an NCRS event as a spectator and watch/learn as they go over a car to delivery level specifications. THEN you will have excellent first hand knowledge of what to look for. Either educate yourself first -- or bring someone with you who knows these cars. Same would apply for ANY OTHER VINTAGE CAR... Otherwise, you're playing with fire.

Rust is just the tip of the iceberg...
Complete wrong engines, body parts and other stuff are very typical.
Finding a "good" 72's is possible.. but they won't be the $ 5,000 cars... they will be $10 to $20..., probably $15 and need $2k to $3k
Look on this site for quality cars and sellers.

Last edited by PhilaScott; 01-03-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:36 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

if...you buy a car that spent all its life in the south west....no rust, and there's a bunch of em
Old 01-03-2013, 09:28 PM
funa
Advanced

thanks for the replies. Still debating and seeing how the c3 market works..thanks again. more info still appreciated.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:02 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

its not a market, but an addiction.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:42 PM
aks801
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is actually a really good topic, as there are more than a few of us who are looking to get "addicted" but do not have the specific knowledge yet on how to properly evaluate and then price a vintage Corvette. And there must be too many considerations to try and succinctly put them into a thread response. I do think the suggestion sounds good to go to some shows and stay close to come NCRS judging.

I am getting pretty close to convincing myself to jump in later this year by acquiring a '70-'72 and (gulp) doing an off-frame resto.

Onward!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi aks,
If you're thinking of an off the frame restoration, and...
If you get some knowledgeable help when you buy your car, and...
If the car you buy doesn't have a rusty birdcage or frame, and...
If there car you buy is very complete, and...
If you have a plan and are methodical and thoughtful as you begin the restoration...
the restoration can turn out to be a real pleasure, and a satisfying experience.
Many people who give up on a restoration discover that the car they bought is in much worse condition than they thought and thus requires work beyond their abilities and finances.
Money spent upfront on a complete car in good condition quickly pays off as the work begins.
Regards,
Alan
Old 01-05-2013, 04:30 PM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Best advice I could offer is to find someone that has gone thru the process of restoring a Corvette and see if they could look at the car with you and give their opinion of what needs to be done and how much it would cost. You'll find very helpful people here on the Forum that could assist you. Looking forward to your first post with pictures of your "new" Corvette. Good luck!

Old 01-05-2013, 06:55 PM
funa
Advanced

great replies! i am still studying this market. thanks
Old 02-01-2013, 06:51 PM
funa
Advanced

what is that coming from the console ?????? stain on rug...

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3587437181.html
Old 02-02-2013, 10:04 AM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

Stain the result of some sort of leakage at the oil pressure gauge.
Don't ask how I know...
Carter
Old 02-02-2013, 01:34 PM
blueray72
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
its not a market, but an addiction.

Get notified of new replies

To What and where to LOOK when buying a 1972 corvette..

Old 02-02-2013, 01:37 PM
blueray72
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by funa
what is that coming from the console ?????? stain on rug...

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3587437181.html
wouldn't know till you took a real close look. If it's oil, most likely the oil temp supply line leaked near the gauges....or the driver was a hard core hot rodder and drank a quart of 10w30 for breakfast and spilled some.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:32 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

For those that really like the looks of a C3 and are thinking about purchasing one, here are some things to consider:

1. Your first order of business is to decide why you want the car and what you want to do with it. This will help you narrow the field of which years/models/options to include in your search and which ones to eliminate.

2. You also need to answer some basic questions. How much am I willing to spend on it? (initial purchase price PLUS expenses to get it into the condition you desire) Will it be a 'driver' car or just for show? Do you want to work on it (DIY) or will you need a shop to do all work on it? Do you want it to hold its value during your ownership, or are you OK with some financial loss [on total investment]? Do you want to modify it or keep it 'stock'? {If you are going to mod it, don't spend a premium on a completely stock car when you purchase it.} Are you buying the car just as a "prized possession" [Midas complex] or for award purposes only?

3. Based on your answers to the above questions, pare out the years/models that are out of your reach or not of interest to you. Try to identify specific model years and primary options of your desire to focus on. Then, start looking and learning about cars with those characteristics. Also consider what body/interior colors would be acceptable to you.

4. Getting a C3 painted is very expensive and time consuming. If you need to have a pristine paint job, buy a car in that condition already; you will be way ahead from the standpoints of "time" and "money".

5. Stick to your initial gameplan. If you change 'horses' after you've purchased a vehicle, it will just cost a lot more time and money later.

6. If money/value is a big deal to you, purchase a car that is desirable to MANY people. A fantastic, pristine NCRS award winning car is certainly a great thing to own. But, if you need to sell it, there will be a very limited market and you can easily lose money if you NEED to sell it in the future.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:38 PM
blueray72
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
For those that really like the looks of a C3 and are thinking about purchasing one, here are some things to consider:

1. Your first order of business is to decide why you want the car and what you want to do with it. This will help you narrow the field of which years/models/options to include in your search and which ones to eliminate.

2. You also need to answer some basic questions. How much am I willing to spend on it? (initial purchase price PLUS expenses to get it into the condition you desire) Will it be a 'driver' car or just for show? Do you want to work on it (DIY) or will you need a shop to do all work on it? Do you want it to hold its value during your ownership, or are you OK with some financial loss [on total investment]? Do you want to modify it or keep it 'stock'? {If you are going to mod it, don't spend a premium on a completely stock car when you purchase it.} Are you buying the car just as a "prized possession" [Midas complex] or for award purposes only?

3. Based on your answers to the above questions, pare out the years/models that are out of your reach or not of interest to you. Try to identify specific model years and primary options of your desire to focus on. Then, start looking and learning about cars with those characteristics. Also consider what body/interior colors would be acceptable to you.

4. Getting a C3 painted is very expensive and time consuming. If you need to have a pristine paint job, buy a car in that condition already; you will be way ahead from the standpoints of "time" and "money".

5. Stick to your initial gameplan. If you change 'horses' after you've purchased a vehicle, it will just cost a lot more time and money later.

6. If money/value is a big deal to you, purchase a car that is desirable to MANY people. A fantastic, pristine NCRS award winning car is certainly a great thing to own. But, if you need to sell it, there will be a very limited market and you can easily lose money if you NEED to sell it in the future.
This hits all the points. Nicely done

Quick Reply: What and where to LOOK when buying a 1972 corvette..