Radiator Support Panel - Size

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 02:28 AM
BigBadBorry
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radiator Support Panel - Size

Greetings from DownUnder,

Seeking advice in the actual width of the radiator for my 1970 (was 350 - now a 383).

The original radiator is approx 24" wide and the support panel has two steel blanks spot welded in place either side of the radiator. The rhs being approx 7" wide and the lhs being approx 5" wide.

I've just taken delivery of a new 3 core aluminium radiator and it is part number correct according to the supplier however she is 31" wide. This will mean I have to cut out the two blanking panels.

So, what gives with the two panels and smaller size (24") radiator?

Any light shed upon this would be appreciated.

Have a great Christmas, I hope Santa fills your stockings with some nice goodies :-))))
Old 12-24-2012, 05:30 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

You Vette is a 4 speed car? If so it used the Harrison aluminum "Corvette" radiator, it would also have a aluminum tank on the passenger side inner fender panel. This radiator was used in small block 4 speed Vettes only. The bottom radiator mounts on 2 rubber "O" shaped cushions and it sounds like the replacement radiator is for a air conditioned/auto transmission/big block Vette. You can buy a new support or look for some saddle mounts to weld to your present core and "bodge" in the new incorrect style radiator (I see your in OZ so you will probably have to do whatever you can.) If you think you could get lucky, the radiator support for a 74 and later Corvette would mount your radiator and bolt into your Vette.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:48 AM
BigBadBorry
Instructor

Hey, Thanks for the quick an accurate reply.

Yes, she's a 4sp (for now) and was giving me high water temp. The new radiator is significantly larger and with three core, should keep the heat-demon at bay.

I'm adept and fabricating so hopefully installing this will not be a big issue.

Thanks again for your advice and info.

Best wishes from DownUnder,

Boris :-)
Old 12-24-2012, 07:41 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Boris,
With a small block and an aluminum radiator cooling shouldn't be a problem, even 'down under'.
It would be good to make sure your fan and fan clutch are operating properly, that the shroud is complete and installed properly, and that all the seals are on the radiator (4 sides), top of the core support, between the lower valance and the core support, and that the small chin spoiler is in place under the valance.
This all insures that the fan is actually pulling the air through the radiator and not around it.
Even with a modified engine (383) the radiator has to have the air flow to cool the engine's coolant.
Regards,
Alan
Old 12-24-2012, 09:52 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

if you're using the mechanical fan, the sb shroud will not cover the entire bb radiator, so you'll lose a large amount of cooling surface. i don't know if the bb shroud would line-up with the sb fan. it may be a good time to switch to electic fans.
i just switched a munci to a th400, and used a bb auto trans radiator. i cut out the side plates on the sb rad support and welded lower mounts into place. i mounted a 2003 ford focus fan to the rad with some L shaped brackets. the fan centered perfectly due to the plastic ford mounting tabs. during installation i discovered that the left side upper control arm interfered with the fan, so i had to shift the fan over about 1 1/2 inches to the right by cutting off the right side tabs. fits great now.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:00 AM
BigBadBorry
Instructor

Thanks for the replies and ideas.

I will be mounting twin 12" fans on the front of the new radiator (wiring is already in place).

I'm confident (ok, hopeful) that the existing fan shroud will suffice and given the considerable increase in cooling area, the heat will be kept down to a more manageable level.

Again, thanks for the input - really appreciated.

Boris :-)
Old 12-24-2012, 11:14 AM
69vette19467
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If your 70 is a 4-spd non-AC car, the original radiator was probably a Harrison stacked-plate aluminum unit with an overall width of 22-3/8". I'm guessing that the horizontal opening in your rad support would measure about 21". Could you measure the open width of your support? I've got a somewhat similar problem that you could help me with.

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator Support Panel - Size

Quick Reply: Radiator Support Panel - Size