Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 427 a/c roadster/what is is worth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:08 PM
corcam
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 69 427 a/c roadster/what is it worth?

I am in the process of working on a deal for a 69 427/390 roadster, green with tan interior and top, basically every option including speed warning and rear window defrost, four speed, car is thought to have 40K actual miles and it appears to have maybe its original paint, has a tank sticker but have not yet been able to see how legible it is to help document car but have been told some areas of it are missing. Car is in decent shape and shines pretty well but has quite a few stress cracks and interior is completely original and decent but driver seat is torn and original top plastic is clouded, it is a very original car that has been stored a long time so some of the mechanics have deteriated a bit so I am wondering if I should treat the car as a survivor and leave its cosmetic condition alone or should the car be painted and some other cosmetics be redone, engine compartent is original but very dirty and dusty. What is a fair offer considering these facts? Looking forward to your opinion. thanks!

Last edited by corcam; 12-18-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:16 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Lots of good high quality pictures would sure help. Does the car have it's original engine and drivetrain? There is lots of gray in your description. What's "missing"? "Quite a few stress cracks", "drivers seat torn", "top plastic is cloudy", "mechanics have deteriated a bit" everyone sees things a little different. What's the frame look like? Is there rust issues? You might think this car is in pretty good shape while some of us may think it's a mess and needs total restoration. That's why pictures and more details will get you a much better response.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:17 AM
jaxlt1
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 63 Posts

I have a 68 427/400 SURVIVOR. Feel free to contact me to discuss. Pictures are a must.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by corcam
...What is a fair offer considering these facts?...
What is the owner asking? It isn't clear whether this car is actually for sale. You say only that you are trying to work out a deal for it.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 12-19-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Scratch
Team Owner

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'09

OK...I'll bite.
$20K for somewhat decent driver, $25K+ for decent all original driver, $35K+ for nice condition, all original but needs some level of restoration needs.
How'd I do
Old 12-20-2012, 06:22 AM
jaxlt1
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Scratch
OK...I'll bite.
$20K for somewhat decent driver, $25K+ for decent all original driver, $35K+ for nice condition, all original but needs some level of restoration needs.
How'd I do
Not bad.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:07 AM
exposingtime
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

427's with 4 speed and factory AC are hard to find cars. Roughly 5% of the total production for 69 left the factory with a 427 engine, 4 speed trans and factory AC. How many of those cars are still around today?

The car you are looking at might need 10k worth of paint and body work, 5k on interior work and another 5-10k of mechanicals.

Is the car running and driving? What would be required to get it on the road? Ha it been in a state of neglect or has it just been stored? Big difference.

A nicely documented restored driver with original engine, trans and rear as well as matching numbers components would probably be worth north of $50k even in this market.

Gary
Old 12-20-2012, 09:07 AM
Scratch
Team Owner

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'09

Originally Posted by jaxlt1
Not bad.
Thanks tried to capture the spirit of the thing
Old 12-20-2012, 09:53 PM
corcam
Instructor

Pictures are not going to be available at least for awhile as it has been put back in storage by the owner who is having trouble understanding why it is not worth the forties he paid for it 10 years ago due to the economy and the fact that its condition has has worsened somewhat due to its sitting in a dusty non climate control out building for about 10 years. Car appears to be completely original including paint which has the stress cracks in the normal places but still shines well and it is believed to have 38k actual miles and when i first saw the car 6-8 years ago is was a very nice car, interior is for sure original and door panels and dash are very nice and seats and carpet have hardened over the years but only the drivers seat is torn at the bottom, the top which I believe could also be the original one has the back glass clouded and the car you can just tell at one time was excellent but those of you who know can tell how these cars get sitting for years and they just run down and get "dusty and musty". It runs and drives well as it has just had a tune up, brakes and other misc to get it up and going but it has the typical minor stuff such as radio not working, a/c blowing out of the wrong vents and other minor stuff that can be repaired, the headlights work and it has great chrome, all matching numbers and engine compartment is original other than added cruise control and motor compartment is very dusty from sitting around. This car could clean up rather easily and be left alone and in my opinion be a true survivor because of its originality and still be a very good looking car or on the other hand could be painted, weatherstrip replaced, seat cover fixed, engine detailed etc etc and there goes the spending spree so I realize it depends on each individuals opinion. I could be wrong but the car strikes me @ $20-23$ but maybe i am short arming it a bit because it is a rare car I feel because having pretty much every option available and the legibility of the tank sticker will of course have a big impact. I feel the car fully restored is worth $45-50 but I have no experience in survivor cars so what would it be worth left alone and what is survivor defined as for sure as I feel this car is a candidate? How much good or bad does the green with saddle combo affect the price as I realize this combo it not always on the top of everyones list Sorry again for the novel and thanks again for the replies
Old 12-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Personally, for the kind of money you guys are talking here. I'd find a knowledgable Corvette person, and have him come along with you for a few bucks. Probably the best money you'll ever spend. He's gonna want to drive it though, as should.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:25 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

corcam....

Just a little advice for you-- I suggest that you revise your perspective from someone who really likes the car and wants to know why they should not buy it, to the perspective of one who is a bit uninterested and wants to know why they SHOULD.

With this mindset, you take the position that you need to be convinced of its value TO YOU [what value it has for the owner should be of no concern to you]. Thus, you are not predisposed to purchase the car or to even make an offer on it........ Unless you see the condition of the mechanical aspects, the structural integrity, and the cosmetic appearance that adequately impresses you.

It may sound superficial, but going in with a "Prove it to me!" attitude can keep you from making a very bad mistake.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:18 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Pass on this one or - at the least - put it on hold for a while. You mention "true survivor" then start talking about restoration. You can't have both.

Take some time to think about whether you actually want the car.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:58 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Let me begin by saying the owner is a fool for paying $40k some 10 years ago and then putting the car in dusty, humid storage. What he paid is of no concern to you. The condition of the car is.

Next let me say that buyers of true "Survivor" cars form a very small and dedicated pool of knowledgeable car collectors. You do not seem to fit that category. Original, unrestored cars can have a myriad of mechanical problems due to a lack of maintenance and generally make poor drivers.

Then let me say the car is really not all that rare. They made over 10,000 of the 427/390 cars in '69. All the other optional fluff such as convertible, A/C, etc...really does not change things much.

Finally, if you are thinking of restoring the car you will have to spend way more money at the concession stand than your price of admission. When you leave the "Shark Theater" at the end of the restoration movie, you will feel like you have been robbed. Just make sure you enjoy the movie.

I bought my low mileage, original, sitting in lousy storage, 427/390 car over 8 years ago...for $25k and have spent another $30k on mechanicals, doing at least the in-and-out work myself. For new paint and interior, I could easily spend another $20k. I would be lucky to sell my $75k investment for $50k in today's lousy market. Your results may vary, but I doubt it.

Good luck with whatever you decide, but Mike appears to be right on...put it on the back burner for now and think about it. The owner appears willing to let it rot for another decade or so.

Get notified of new replies

To 69 427 a/c roadster/what is is worth?

Quick Reply: 69 427 a/c roadster/what is is worth?