Sponsored by:

New tyre life?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 05:57 AM
cue487023
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New tyre life?

I am part way through my C3 restoration and have decided to take the body off. I want to set the chassis and drivetrain up including new rims and tyres. It may be a couple of years until everything is complete (due to finances and time constraints). I have heard that tyres have a definate shelf life and degrade over time. If they are not exposed to the elements in a garage, how long are the tyres good for??? any comments/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Colin
Old 12-21-2012, 07:04 AM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tires are usually good for 6 years or so if not driven too much. Mine have great tread but I have to replace, for safety reasons, shortly.

Why would you buy tires and rims now if you are going to take a few years? Spend that money on parts needed for the body off and make the tires/rims a last purchase. You can use the old tires and rims during your frame off resto. Doesn't make sense to buy new stuff now if you can't use it for two or three years. JMO.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Have you considered calling your local tire shops to get a set of take-offs?

If you are going the aftermarket wheel route, hopefully they will still be in style by the time you finish

I jumped the gun myself on wheels/tires, but she is about ready to come off the jackstands and I didn't want to spend money on tires twice.

Here's why its good to have you wheels and tires availible for mockup. Better to find this kinda stuff out during the build phase.

Get notified of new replies

To New tyre life?

Quick Reply: New tyre life?