Sponsored by:

What would you do..."misplaced" engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The problem with the Lawyer will be his fee. The costs to be able to establish the loss in value because of the missing engine. What is the liability coverage with the shops insurance? A number of expensive research to be done.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:42 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Riiight. It's just MISSING. Well....if the shop owner can't find/produce it, he's used it for something else or it's been stolen from his shop. Either way, it is theft, plain and simple.

I already told the OP to go have a 'civil' talk with the owner to find out what he knows and what HE proposes to do about it. What more do you want? No one else has given the guy any tangible advice...they just want to commiserate with him about the 'missing' engine.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:53 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Riiight. It's just MISSING. Well....if the shop owner can't find/produce it, he's used it for something else or it's been stolen from his shop. Either way, it is theft, plain and simple.

I already told the OP to go have a 'civil' talk with the owner to find out what he knows and what HE proposes to do about it. What more do you want? No one else has given the guy any tangible advice...they just want to commiserate with him about the 'missing' engine.
Here is some useful advice - contact the BBB & BAR about the matter...
7T1 is right - blowing up won't get the engine back....only cause more problems...

Old 12-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Not a criminal case, the culpable mental state for theft is "knowingly". It would be very difficult to proove he knowingly exerted control over the property of another, without and beyond any expressed or implied consent. Closer to recklessly or negligently neither of which will fulfill the requirements of theft.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:31 AM
spot99
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Indiancreek
Not a criminal case, the culpable mental state for theft is "knowingly". It would be very difficult to proove he knowingly exerted control over the property of another, without and beyond any expressed or implied consent. Closer to recklessly or negligently neither of which will fulfill the requirements of theft.
This legalize speak is why many bad guys get away with doing bad things. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, guess what? It's a duck.

Dunno what I would do in the OP's position other than tell the shop to find the block or I will visit upon them the wrath of ten thousand wild motherf*ckers.

Just my opinion. One can't mess with another mans Corvette. Word.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:59 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 258 Likes on 206 Posts

There are a surprising number of posts in this thread from a really small amount of information from the OP. we don't even know the car year to give you value advice.

from the OPs limited amount of info. looks like he sent it to a machine shop for block rebuild prep. so he is doing the rebuild after getting it back, and is probably somewhat knowledgeable.

there is value loss in losing a original engine. depends on the true value.. and he would have to prove it. most likely the value loss is equivalent to a lawyer fee and court costs ( 1-2K) plus time and other expenses. so no sense even advising him to go straight to court. you can only sue for actual money damages. one might win penalty money if he can prove that the shop was trying to cheat him, but that is near impossible. and most likely the shop will try to make it right with a proper amount of quiet motivation.

with just a little bit of negotiation, the op will probably get a nice rebuilt short block out of the deal.

They will find it, or give him another one.. you just have to be persistant and negotiate.

to state that the machine shop is going to write him a 10K check, is reaching for the sky.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
It's not misplaced, it's been decked, rebuilt and is under the hood of some punk's Camaro. Happens all the time. You did specify in writing that they are NOT to deck the block under a $10K penalty?
Many years ago, a single but older woman neighbor and a late 60's beautiful red convertible Vette. She took it into a shop for some work and when she got it back, a different motor was in it. Never did find out what she did. I think she just let it go.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by spot99
...This legalize speak is why many bad guys get away with doing bad things...
Indiancreek's response is literate and one of the more rational so far. Bad guys get away with doing bad things because they hire good attorneys.

Originally Posted by joewill
...There are a surprising number of posts in this thread from a really small amount of information from the OP...

Last edited by Easy Mike; 12-20-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry82
Many years ago, a single but older woman neighbor and a late 60's beautiful red convertible Vette. She took it into a shop for some work and when she got it back, a different motor was in it. Never did find out what she did. I think she just let it go.
Despite what we want to believe very few engine shop owners or managers give a rat's a*s about 'numbers' which matches pretty closely the car owners themselves.

Finding a shop that knows the difference is difficult, finding a shop that can track a component from start to finish and reliably preserve said numbers is even more rare.

AFAIK, it cannot be done in a large big volume style shop that most people use.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:47 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

What about taking it to small claims court if the shop doesn't come up with an acceptable remedy?
Old 12-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Stone73
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I met with the owner this morning and the issue has been resolved...I appreciate the advice from the forum.

Although I was absolutely livid when we first met, the more rational and patient me worked out what I feel is a fair resolution. It included a better block, machine work and financial considerations. As to whether or not it made up for the actual loss of a numbers matching engine...I do not know, but I am content.

The original engine block is gone....can't produce something that is not there. I do feel after speaking with the owner that a mistake was made by an employee. I also do not feel it ended up being used for other purposes.

I guess the important info or advice I can pass along is that when you take an engine or any part for repairs or reconditioning...be sure to document. Take pictures, write down on work orders your vin...block number..date code or other info to identify your parts. This will help in the resolution of problems.

I am not going to name the shop or the owner, as I feel the issue has been taken care of.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:52 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Glad you are satisfied but if you don't mind what exactly did you get as far as motor?
Old 12-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Scratch
Team Owner

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'09

Well we knew you would get some sort of compensation...if you are satisfied (as much as can be) then, good for you
Old 12-20-2012, 04:07 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Stone73
I am not going to name the shop or the owner, as I feel the issue has been taken care of.
Given what you have said here, I don't think you need to name the shop - betting I know who it is.

Glad they were able to make you happy in the end.

Adam
Old 12-20-2012, 04:34 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Stone73
a mistake was made by an employee. I also do not feel it ended up being used for other purposes.
Aside from being sold for scrap what cold have happened to it?
Old 12-20-2012, 05:07 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

What could have happened to it? Well, unto itself, a '73 L48 block is worth about as much as two dead flies. So, there was no value to it except as the original engine for that car. Probably went out as a core, or, as has been noted, went to someone else waiting for a 350 block. He doesn't know and this will remain a mystery for our time.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:25 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry72
What could have happened to it? Well, unto itself, a '73 L48 block is worth about as much as two dead flies. So, there was no value to it except as the original engine for that car. Probably went out as a core, or, as has been noted, went to someone else waiting for a 350 block. He doesn't know and this will remain a mystery for our time.
OK, OK, I'll 'fess up! I showed up at the shop and offered the shop owner 3 dead flies for it, and he just couldn't pass it up! (Sucker! I would have gone to 3 1/2 dead flies for it if he knew how to haggle!)

Seriously, though, c'mon, dish! Tell us a little about what he did to make you happy. Damn, we are a nosy bunch, ain't we?

Scott

Get notified of new replies

To What would you do..."misplaced" engine

Old 12-20-2012, 05:25 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You're welcome.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Stone73
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I suppose the 4 dead flies and some machining was a good deal...
Old 12-20-2012, 08:07 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
You're welcome.
lol.. wow.

Quick Reply: What would you do..."misplaced" engine