Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do..."misplaced" engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 08:06 PM
jschulz30
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stay calm and listen to the owner. Getting into a pissing match will not help anything. Certainly, take note of any offers that he makes to resolve the problem. You need to know what the value of a matching numbers car and a non numbers match car for your year. The owner needs to compensate your for that loss in value with either free services or cash. If you are happy with his offer sit on it for a few days and see how you feel. If not contact him after a few days and tell him his offer is not satisfactory. All else fails hire an attorney.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:26 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Stone73
It is unfortunetly no joke...going to their shop tomorrow to speak with the owner.

Mike...the service order was for clean block and magnuflux, remove and replace freeze plugs, cam bearings remove and replace, Bore .030 and Hone...nothing more
Simple. Tell them you are going to sue them for the $10k difference in the lost value of the car, plus the cost of a vintage replacement block.

(yes I know 10 is ridiculous)
Old 12-19-2012, 08:35 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by LeMans Pete
I was trying to be nice.
Mike wasn't.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by A7X
Mike wasn't.
My own car is also a '73 L48. I was being honest.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:02 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately, legal help probably isn't the best idea, as fees could end up higher, than the engine build. If you know an attorney willing to stop over their with you for little cost, maybe all you need. Know a guy that bought a new Harley, and the engine seized up when he got it home. He wanted a new bike, but they would only agree to rebuild the engine. He has a law degree, and wrote H/D a letter. Got his money back, and got a Kawasaki cruiser. Guy's done with H/D after this. Nothings good here, but would at least expect a free engine from your shop, with no numbers on it.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:13 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

No, Mike... You were being a jerk. The shop stole this guy's engine and is trying to make it go away. This is about as bad as it gets for "auto repair shop abuse". And I, for one, would fight it tooth and nail. The shop has NO leg to stand on: the engine is "missing" while it was on their watch; and they deserve to have the kitchen sink thrown at them.

This is grand theft...plain and simple. You should get much more than the 'actual value' of your loss; or you can go for a criminal charge against the owner. Take your pick.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
No, Mike... You were being a jerk. The shop stole this guy's engine and is trying to make it go away. This is about as bad as it gets for "auto repair shop abuse". And I, for one, would fight it tooth and nail. The shop has NO leg to stand on: the engine is "missing" while it was on their watch; and they deserve to have the kitchen sink thrown at them.

This is grand theft...plain and simple. You should get much more than the 'actual value' of your loss; or you can go for a criminal charge against the owner. Take your pick.
Day late and dollar short, as usual. My comments are in post #7.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:36 PM
Scratch
Team Owner

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'09

Well that sux...I was wondering how this would be, if it was a truly rarer car/motor version
Old 12-19-2012, 11:19 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

they should have a record of what block went to what customer. if you dont have paperwork documenting your block, no matter how big the shop or how carefull they are , you dont have much to go on , also without documentation, the legal folks wont help either.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:24 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
Unfortunately, legal help probably isn't the best idea, as fees could end up higher, than the engine build. If you know an attorney willing to stop over their with you for little cost, maybe all you need. Know a guy that bought a new Harley, and the engine seized up when he got it home. He wanted a new bike, but they would only agree to rebuild the engine. He has a law degree, and wrote H/D a letter. Got his money back, and got a Kawasaki cruiser. Guy's done with H/D after this. Nothings good here, but would at least expect a free engine from your shop, with no numbers on it.
had this happen with a new boat motor, got my money back and also bought a different motor, killed a 2 week vacation that I bought the new motor specifically for, totally sucks.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:38 PM
Stone73
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
they should have a record of what block went to what customer. if you dont have paperwork documenting your block, no matter how big the shop or how carefull they are , you dont have much to go on , also without documentation, the legal folks wont help either.

I have documents and photos of engine...vin stamp
Old 12-20-2012, 01:25 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

excellent
Old 12-20-2012, 01:40 AM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 797 Likes on 447 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I too am so sorry to hear of this.
I do not know where I would go to get it resolved.
I feel it would cost me allot of time and $$$$ just to
get back what I already had before their screw up.
You loose a grub screw not an engine block
Please keep us informed.
A call to the Attorney Generals office in your state inquiring about
shop fraud and deceptive business practices worded
correctly may get an investigation started.
If you find others in a similar situation, you could
get an attorney and initiate a collective law suit.
He'll either settle or go belly up and close the doors.
Marshal
Old 12-20-2012, 02:28 AM
thegavel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry 'bout your situation, mate.
I'd be doing "Gorilla imitations" on the owner's desk then I'd be sitting in
their office until this was resolved (or in the parking lot with a VERY large sign) But that's just me and probably wouldn't help much.

As others have said, see what explanation and solution these CLOWNS offer you
and go from there.
Keep us posted of your progress,
CHEERS & Merry Christmas from Downunder,
Gav
Old 12-20-2012, 02:44 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Even if having the numbers matching engine doesn't make that much of a difference in value now, who's to say what a difference in value it might make in 10 years? 20 years? 30 years? There are '68 427 'vettes out there with NOMs because, in 1972, nobody thought it would make much difference. How much value have they lost? Just something to think about, that's all.

The funny thing is, it really only has any value to the OP. To anybody else, it's just another old SBC block. Why would someone steal something of so little value, and are still relatively plentiful? That doesn't make much sense. Maybe they screwed it up, and don't want to own up to it.

Scott
Old 12-20-2012, 06:24 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=AdamMeh;1582611546]They don't misplace motors. If it truly is not there, they used it for someones order.

I worked ina shop that would do that from time to time. They are behind on someone's engine and your's is setting there finished. So the other guy gets yours and it gives them time to get one done for you. Doesn't compute matching numbers.
I'd ask them who has picked up a .030 block in this time frame. There is a chance it's on someone's engine stand and not together yet. That person may like their own engine back.

I'd recommend keeping the main caps when ever you drop off a numbers matching block, or any special block for that matter. For the bore and hone they can use a few caps from some other block setting there.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:32 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe they didn't "steal" it.....maybe they screwed it up in the machining process.....?

Still SUCKS!!!

Get notified of new replies

To What would you do..."misplaced" engine

Old 12-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
...The shop stole this guy's engine...
Nothing has been said about theft. Based on what the OP has posted, he continues to try to determine exactly what may have occurred.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:06 AM
johnnyw
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe none of these post are from an attorney. I bet that if you do have a question an answer session with one you will come away with a whole different feeling about what you can really do about this. I am always amazed at how I think things should be and then get really professional advice and it's changed my thoughts about how to proceed. Not that anything short of a lot of money or your motor back is going to matter. It really sucks and I agree I would be ready to go at it with the whole crew at the shop.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:13 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyw
I am always amazed at how I think things should be and then get really professional advice and it's changed my thoughts about how to proceed.
Yeah it's funny how common sense/decency and the law don't always coincide!

Quick Reply: What would you do..."misplaced" engine