Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Cover for 79 L82

Anyone tried this product?

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette?frame=4.1631
Old 12-19-2012, 10:10 AM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Not sure about that product, but I used a cap on our '77 (came with the car). Warped after 2 or 3 hours in the AZ sun. Glad I didn't buy it.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

"...installs in under one hour..." is extremely optimistic.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:06 AM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
"...installs in under one hour..." is extremely optimistic.

If your dash is cracked up, you will need to smooth out the surface - read as trim down, cut, sand, remove vinyl etc. Our pad was shot and I ended up removing virtually all of the factory vinyl covering to make the cap fit. Wasn't a big loss as it was junk to begin with. Maybe Wilcox can offer some feedback on this part and the fit / finish of it.

Again, our car is a '77 so they are obviously different - just throwing out what experience I have had with caps. With what I learned, instead of buying a cap, I would use that money towards new dash pads.

Good luck with it!
Adam
Old 12-19-2012, 03:47 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 301 Likes on 215 Posts

My dash was cracked on my 80. I thought about the cap but after a few searches found out it dosen't fit well in certain areas and looks like a cap. I went with a new dash pad. In my opinion that is your best bet. It costs more and is harder to to install but in the end looks better.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:08 PM
texasbaehr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do it!
I don't know anyone that has sucessfully installed one of these on any vehicle and was satisfied with the result. I have seen a few and all looked like crap. Once its on there is no going back because its glued on with silicone adhesive so the dash is trashed if you remove it.
I just bought a carpet dash cover for mine to hide the cracks until I get around to redo of the interior.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:56 PM
CTVETTE78
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I’m going to disagree with the naysayers on this one. I used that cap on my 78 and I’m very happy with the results. I will say however that the installation can be a bit difficult to do right.

First off, I recommend that you remove the dash pad from the car and do this job on the bench. You will need a LOT of clamps and more RTV than is provided with the cover. I chose to do a section at a time on three consecutive days to allow the glue to completely set before removing the clamps. I did the top section first followed by the driver’s side then the passenger side.

The gauge panels fit fine when I was done, probably because I clamped the cover very well in those areas as the glue set. The headlight switch was a pain to reinstall. The speaker area on the dash top is perforated. I chose to cut out that area to re-install the original speaker grills and if I were going to do it again I might not bother with that. The speaker grills did not snap back into place with the cap installed, I had to modify the grills adding some countersunk screws to retain them.

The finished dash is harder to the touch than a new pad for sure, but I’m fine with that considering the difference in cost. I have had a number of positive comments on how nice my dash looks.

Get notified of new replies

To Dash Cover for 79 L82

Quick Reply: Dash Cover for 79 L82