Sponsored by:

1979 Hood Latching Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 06:15 PM
FHPauly
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 Hood Latching Problem

Have a problem with my hood latches.....only the drivers side will release/open. Does anyone know a trick to get the passenger side to pop open?
Old 12-14-2012, 12:41 AM
Aussie79
Racer

They are adjustable, have a look at the first (drivers side) latch and note the large flat plate with all the holes in it on the cable that traverses across to the passenger side, those holes are for adjustment of slack in the cable, yours is too slack, re-adjust in to a closer hole so the play is out of the cable. If there is no more adjustment then you need to replace the cable, it has stretched over the years beyond function.

Cheers, Dennis.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:14 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Check the adjustment on the crossover cable.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:10 AM
FHPauly
Intermediate

Default First Opening

Thanks for the tips guys.....now this may sound simple to some of you veterans out there, but how do I get it open the first time to do the cable adjustment. Like I mentioned before, I get the drivers side to pop open but can't get the passenger side to open. Can it be accessed from under the car by putting it up on a rack?
Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 AM
76Vett
Instructor

Originally Posted by FHPauly
Thanks for the tips guys.....now this may sound simple to some of you veterans out there, but how do I get it open the first time to do the cable adjustment. Like I mentioned before, I get the drivers side to pop open but can't get the passenger side to open. Can it be accessed from under the car by putting it up on a rack?
My 76 did the same thing. I had a friend pull the hood latch and hold it while I pressed down on the area of the latch with the palm of my hand and quickly let it pop up - done that a few times and it opened. Maybe I just got lucky. Made adjustments and works fine now.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:35 AM
spot99
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you can get the drivers side open enough, you should be able to peer in and see a lever (for the lack of better words). It should have a bunch of holes in it. Grab your favorite bent hangar and hook it thru the topmost hole and pull toward you. (paint damage may occur) If it doesn't release the pass side then your cable is toast.

This is what's so fun about C3's. I love 'em.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:39 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

When you get it open, make sure the male part of the hood latch is lubed and not frozen up! You should be able to push the plate on top of the spring up and down by hand.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:12 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spot99
If you can get the drivers side open enough, you should be able to peer in and see a lever (for the lack of better words). It should have a bunch of holes in it. Grab your favorite bent hangar and hook it thru the topmost hole and pull toward you. (paint damage may occur) If it doesn't release the pass side then your cable is toast.

This is what's so fun about C3's. I love 'em.
That will work if the cable isn't damaged. My brother-in-law has a '79 with that problem and I was able to lift the driver's side enough to get my hand in and pull the cable. His was damaged, but that still worked. Depending on what damage there might be to the cable it may not work.

The other thing that will work but is hard to describe without a picture, is to remove the rubber plug in the windshield wiper well on that passenger side and use a screwdriver to press on the lever that the cable pulls.

Good luck.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:45 PM
FHPauly
Intermediate

Originally Posted by my 76 ray
That will work if the cable isn't damaged. My brother-in-law has a '79 with that problem and I was able to lift the driver's side enough to get my hand in and pull the cable. His was damaged, but that still worked. Depending on what damage there might be to the cable it may not work.

The other thing that will work but is hard to describe without a picture, is to remove the rubber plug in the windshield wiper well on that passenger side and use a screwdriver to press on the lever that the cable pulls.

Good luck.

That second suggestion works great!!! I also found a youtube video where a guy shows how to do this....it was way to easy. Thought something had to be wrong.....went out and bought a lottery ticket.
Here is the link to the video.....thanks for the help guys.

www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DZ4BhkZ26nTQ

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 Hood Latching Problem

Quick Reply: 1979 Hood Latching Problem