Sponsored by:

Corvette America Dash frustration

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 06:59 PM
1977stroker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette America Dash frustration

I started an old thread on this but since I know have photo's I thought I would share my frustration. $1200 on CA dashes and they aren't useable, in any form or fashion. Their manufacturing specs are so far off, it is beyond belief. I'll walk everyone through picture by picture.

Here's my new lower dash pad

Here is the dash pad laid out to check the screw center to center measurements

center to center measure 0" - 8 1/2" - 15 1/2"

here brand new dash number 1 and the screws centers

0" - 7 1/16" - 15 3/4" - the far screw is off 1/4" - the middle screw is off 1 7/16" - so far off the entire upper mounting pad doesn't even correspond with the lower dash. 1 7/16" off center - it doesn't even seem possible to mismanufacture a part that badly - but wait, it gets even better.

So I buy another new upper dash pad

check the screw center to centers

0" - 8 3/4" - 15 7/8" - one screw is off 1/4" - one screw is off 3/8"
again horrible manufacturing specs. But I want to get my car together so I mark the correct centers and slot out the mounting holes

I now install my top dash and lower dash and hers what I get

Here's why

So now I have to drill out the rivets on the mounting pads and move it back 5/16".

To recap, I had to re drill 2 of the 3 screw holes in the upper pad because the centers were so far off, and if that isn't bad enough - one of the pads had to be relocated. Absolutely horrid workmanship and quality.

And to top it off, here is the air vent hole

7/8" smaller than the OEM dash pad.

$1200 in dash components and the quality control could not be worse.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:10 PM
imariver
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks like they bought a "lot" of cheap items, real cheap, thinking that they could make a few bucks.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:24 PM
1977stroker
Advanced

Originally Posted by imariver
Looks like they bought a "lot" of cheap items, real cheap, thinking that they could make a few bucks.

I was under the impression that they manufactured this stuff in house, and if that is the case they better consider cleaning house. I'll bite the bullet on the cost of these parts and reorder the whole works from Knoch. But, rest assured the sales they are going to lose will be far worse than what they fleeced me on this garbage.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:25 PM
AJC 69 BB
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Corvette America is junk always has been always will be. Your problem you are describing is nothing new to them! They know they have problems in fitment and quality. Yet they keep on selling the same S*** to unsuspecting customers. I would send all that junk back and demand a refund. Do not know how long ago you purchased it but you can always try!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:56 PM
1977stroker
Advanced

If I had more ambition I would show the map side, picture by picture. I've only shown half the headaches. The map pocket centers are decent, but again would need to be re drilled and the pillar side mounting pad would need to be relocated to get a reveal that is even remotely acceptable.

I'd spend the time and effort to re fabricate these parts to make them work, but even then I'd be left with air ducts that would be inoperable and cobbled into the holes.

Someone mentioned a bad run, but that is not the case. I bought 2 upper dash pads, not only are both bad, but both vary. So they have made multiple runs that are bad beyond comprehension.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:06 PM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear about your woes. But I've gone to school reading this thread. I was planning to to use CA to purchase a complete interior for my '80 next summer. But I'll go elsewhere now. Best of luck and thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:11 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by 80Baby
Sorry to hear about your woes. But I've gone to school reading this thread. I was planning to to use CA to purchase a complete interior for my '80 next summer. But I'll go elsewhere now. Best of luck and thanks for the heads up.
Good info for those of us just getting started into this stuff!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:31 PM
1977stroker
Advanced

I wish someone had warned me, it would have saved a ton of time, money and frustration. I believe the only other source is Al Knoch and I'll post how I make out on their parts. I asked previously for feedback and it seemed positive.

What shocks me about CA isn't how poor the craftsmanship is, but how China made, comically, unbelievably poor it is. It is almost beyond comprehension. Come on, they can't even get a rectangular hole for the air vent correct or even in the ballpark. I can't believe it never occurred to someone to check if the damned hole was the right size?
Old 11-16-2012, 12:44 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,065 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Originally Posted by 1977stroker
I was under the impression that they manufactured this stuff in house, and if that is the case they better consider cleaning house.
Corvette America do make the dash pieces in house, and they make them in Pennsylvania, not China.

Those dash pieces seem to be hit and miss, fit wise. Once in a while, you'll get ones that fit perfect, but usually not.

I'll bite the bullet on the cost of these parts and reorder the whole works from Knoch.
I'm not sure that Al is making is own dashes. He might be now, but I think he use to sell the Corvette America ones.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:17 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Wow! Those pieces are unbelievable useless pieces of junk!!! How could they think anyone could be fooled into thinking they are okay to use?!?!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:29 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
Wow! Those pieces are unbelievable useless pieces of junk!!! How could they think anyone could be fooled into thinking they are okay to use?!?!

That's pathetic.....

Old 11-16-2012, 10:04 AM
mooncricket
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm dealing with CA sail panels, rear center strip and forward console. It is absolutely nothing short of criminal that they sell this ****. They are STEALING peoples money by selling this garbage. Getting ready to give up and try some Al Knoch pieces. The CA stuff came with the car or I wouldn't even have bothered.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Top Flight Automotive
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 93 Likes on 36 Posts

I was under the impression that they manufactured this stuff in house, and if that is the case they better consider cleaning house. I'll bite the bullet on the cost of these parts and reorder the whole works from Knoch. But, rest assured the sales they are going to lose will be far worse than what they fleeced me on this garbage.
Dear 1977stroker:

If there are issues with products that we manufactured we will certainly stand behind them. Since there is no contact information in your profile would you please provide the following:

1. Your Name and Address
2. Where you purchased the items
3. When you purchased the items
4. A phone number and/or email address where you can be reached

Thanks and we look forward to hearing from you directly.

Corvette America
Old 11-16-2012, 11:33 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Originally Posted by Corvette America
Dear 1977stroker:

If there are issues with products that we manufactured we will certainly stand behind them. Since there is no contact information in your profile would you please provide the following:

1. Your Name and Address

Corvette America

Dear Corvette America - I dare say I speak for most Corvette owners when I say...

We would GLADLY pay more for PERFECT parts....tested and trouble free. It is a major PITA to work on these dashes and then waiting for parts, returning parts.....etc. We love our cars.

Seriously - raise the price if you must - but we need HIGH QUALITY parts. These are not Honda's....these are our pride and joys!

Please consider this - Thank you.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:41 AM
71 f/w driver
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, fill your frustration. I purchased their leftside lower dash pad. Couldn't get it to fit, broke apiece off the mounting tab for the tach. one of the mounting holes didn't line up with my existing upper dash pad. Glad I didn't order the upper dash pad. The new leftside dash pad now sit on shelfing. May try to rework in the summer when we have a really hot day.
MIKE
Old 11-16-2012, 11:59 AM
Top Flight Automotive

Originally Posted by MrJlr
Dear Corvette America - I dare say I speak for most Corvette owners when I say...

We would GLADLY pay more for PERFECT parts....tested and trouble free. It is a major PITA to work on these dashes and then waiting for parts, returning parts.....etc. We love our cars.

Seriously - raise the price if you must - but we need HIGH QUALITY parts. These are not Honda's....these are our pride and joys!

Please consider this - Thank you.

Dear MrJlr:

Thank you for the response and the advice. We do try very hard to produce and maintain the highest quality possible for our products while offering them at a fair price. And as mentioned above we also stand behind our products if one doesn't meet the expectations of a Corvette owner. Additionally ALL Corvette Owners are invited and welcome to visit our manufacturing plant in Reedsville, PA and see exactly how each item is manufactured.

Hope your current tour is going well .... great song list!

Corvette America
Old 11-16-2012, 12:05 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Dear MrJlr:

Thank you for the response and the advice. We do try very hard to produce and maintain the highest quality possible for our products while offering them at a fair price. And as mentioned above we also stand behind our products if one doesn't meet the expectations of a Corvette owner. Additionally ALL Corvette Owners are invited and welcome to visit our manufacturing plant in Reedsville, PA and see exactly how each item is manufactured.

Hope your current tour is going well .... great song list!

Corvette America

Thank you for the response

We just have so few vendors to pick from.....we need the best

Again thank you

(SRV Forever!)

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette America Dash frustration

Old 11-16-2012, 01:13 PM
1977stroker
Advanced

Dear 1977stroker:

1. Your Name and Address

Corvette America
I'll forward that info to your customer service department.

Standing behind your product is fine and issues are part of doing business. But, there has to be some level of quality control, before the sale. The fact that you stand behind your products does not excuse the time and frustration this causes the consumer of these parts. We're aware of these issues and are working to resolve them - goes much further than - return that crap and we'll issue a refund.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Top Flight Automotive

I'll forward that info to your customer service department.

Standing behind your product is fine and issues are part of doing business. But, there has to be some level of quality control, before the sale. The fact that you stand behind your products does not excuse the time and frustration this causes the consumer of these parts. We're aware of these issues and are working to resolve them - goes much further than - return that crap and we'll issue a refund.
Dear 1977stroker:

We apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to receiving your information. It would also be of benefit to us if you would please reference our discussion on this thread when you do so. I might add that you can call 1-800-458-3475 and speak to someone directly concerning this matter and provide the information.

Thanks,

Corvette America
Old 11-16-2012, 03:42 PM
tomgaz
Racer

Man i spent almost $2000 on new interior about 6 months ago. I hope i dont run into the same problem. On a good note my guages mounted to the lower dash without a problem.

Quick Reply: Corvette America Dash frustration