Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette America Dash frustration

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 03:51 PM
C02VETTE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two C3 Corvettes. One i am restoring in my spare time and the other a driver for now until the first one is completed. I have a Corvette America book on my coffee table that i flip through every once and a while. Good to know. I have to question other products they carry.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:07 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

I have numerous boxes of Corvette America parts in my shop, awaiting their turn. I hope to God they fit, because I don't (and I'm sure) many others don't want to experience, what 1977 Stroker experienced. There's nothing more frustrating than paying a healthy premium for Corvette parts and not having it fit correctly. There is no excuse whatsoever for a poor fitting part. That's what QA or Quality Assurance is all about.

Lets face it, most of us are old guys, (well at 53, I'm getting there!) and we don't have the time to d!ck around with poor fitting parts, trying to figure out, if you're really sane, while you're doing it, then finally, doing what 1977 Stroker did, measuring the parts, taking pictures and posting this valuable information! (Thanks Bro!). I don't blame him one bit for being pissed and rightfully so! Nearly every minute of my time is very valuable and I place a premium on that.

1977 Stroker, we want to know how it all turned out, when you get the new piece. Inquiring minds, want to know!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:03 PM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Had almost exactly the same issues. Bought the parts 4 years ago, seems that there's no evolution in a positive way.
My issues with the dash parts
Old 11-16-2012, 06:17 PM
1977stroker
Advanced

Originally Posted by dembo
Had almost exactly the same issues. Bought the parts 4 years ago, seems that there's no evolution in a positive way.
My issues with the dash parts

That is crazy, if it wasn't for the different color interior a person would swear those are the same pictures. Like deja vu all over again.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:26 PM
1977stroker
Advanced

Originally Posted by tomgaz
Man i spent almost $2000 on new interior about 6 months ago. I hope i dont run into the same problem. On a good note my guages mounted to the lower dash without a problem.
A word of advice. Don't spend a minute on installation until you lay everything out on a bench. Flip the upper dash upside down and line up both dash pads and the center console. Trust me it's much easier to make adjustments ahead of time. I would also suggest "dry fitting" the lower pads [before you install the gauges and hook up the wiring] with the upper dash in place.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:44 PM
tomgaz
Racer

Well i bought a car with no interior so i have nothing to go on.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:40 PM
George zeus
2nd Gear

Default Dash pads are garbage. So cheap

These are CRAP dash pads. Covered with brittle type of vinyl don't stress the corners too much it will crack. Use your imagination for a nightmare to install. Have to be so careful. Do yourself a favor go have it covered by your upholstery guy or gal before you have to install. Mine is for a 1981 maybe your year is made differently. But doubt it.

To be specific about the lack of quality in these dash pads.The space in the pad for the speedo/ tachometer was too small and the spots where the hole are to be drilled to mount the unit are not accurately measured for the hole to be centered. To get the unit to fit and be able to drill the holes it was set a little back on.the top and a little forward at the bottom. Using a heat gun would not work that would only melt the cheap covering vinyl??
Its more like the label wrapper on a 2 liter Coke bottle only a little thicker. Seriously when you see the edges where the vinyl is cut it is so thin snd trimmed poorly so close to what is visible around the instrument cluster that when I was massaging it into the bottom right corner the vinyl?? started to split. But 99% will be covered by the bezel.
Anyway here in Vegas it's hot and won't last long. It's my personal car If it was a customers car I would have to take it to my upholstery guy and have it covered. And on top of all the other difficulties the bezel with clear plastic cover for guages has to be mounted and the side holes don't line up with the pad holes. I lined it up as good as I could and the screw stressed the hole so much the plastic cracked out. I ordered a new bezel and will epoxy my own area on a pad for a screw. I'm doing great considering what I have to work with. Did I mention the areas for the vents one side those vent mounting holes don't line up either. All the defects will be covered up and structurally strong.
It will look perfect and last for a little while. I work with guys from shops here in Vegas and I know they would not put up with this dash. They would hack it in in a hour and destroy it. If anyone buys one of these set aside time and take care with figuring.
Knowing how I am I will pull it out and cover the dash with snakeskin or something when the time is right. This thing is cheap not stout like the OEM.
Additionally I have bought things from Corvette America and this was the only piece of junk.
Word to the wise stay away from Corvette Mods this company is the rudest and unprofessional. Someone set up a website just to complain about Corvette Mods. The people at Corvette America are very good people. I have to tell it like it is on this dash pad its ridiculous to work with. If I did not know Corvette America says it's made here in USA I would think MADE IN CHINA that says it all. Very cheap materials and craftsmanship. Corvette America dropped the ball on this one.

Last edited by George zeus; 03-21-2020 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Additional details
Old 03-20-2020, 04:27 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

Even though this is an 8 year old thread....I ordered a 'custom carpet and paint matched' 2 bin rear cargo door combo for the 82 CE. I asked the C/A salesman on the phone for a picture of my exact part. "we don't have one". "Rest assured this part is color keyed to match exactly the interior of the CE....yup! his mouth was moving. (40 Year Customer I might add!)
1. Wrong color entirely...CE's are code 59 silver beige metallic inside too....this was charcoal brown.
2. The carpet is supposed to match the car....the carpet was the right color, the quality and thickness of the carpet was HALF of the original one....looked like FABRIC not carpet....let alone the 'extra thick plush carpet' of the original.
3. The plastic was CHEESY. Had all the 'quality' of a McDonald's happy meal toy.
4. $200! for garbage.

Still awaiting my money back.

Unkahal
Old 03-21-2020, 11:38 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Pretty old thread indeed.

If you have a dispute or poor transaction to report, please start a thread in the tRansactiin Feedback section.

Quick Reply: Corvette America Dash frustration