Can You Drive a Corvette in Snow? - A Few Old Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:09 PM
ugadog
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
Can You Drive a Corvette in Snow?
Depends on who “you” happens to be. We have plenty of folks here in Colorado who shouldn’t be driving their SUV in snow, much less any rear wheel drive vehicle. You can see dozens of them and their SUVs in the ditch every weekend on the way to the ski slopes. On the other hand, for many folks, there is not a car made that could not be driven satisfactorily in the snow.

Driving in snow is more a function of the driver, rather than the vehicle.

That said, a collector car does not belong in snow or rain.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:28 PM
texas jim
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The pictures and stories are great! I've been in texas now f/ 31 years, but grew up in New York. There were two Corvettes in our neighborhood, my brother's '58 and Pop-Eye's '63 split window. Both 'Vettes were driven year around and both the only transportation the two owned. My brother's '58 had a newer 327/360 or 365, can't remember which, w/ 4:88 gears and a 4 speed. He bought it from a guy who drag raced it and my brother put it on the street. The convert. top was in rough shape and the paint was chipped up, but it ran like heck. Pop Eye's 'Vette had flared fenders and one in the rear was hanging off some and one of the mufflers rode alittle low. LOL! The bumps and bruises on the 'Vettes were from the winter driving and most all the miles on them were put on in the good old urban NYC. The pot holes tend to get bigger in the winter and the cars take a beating. My hat is off to you guys who drive a 'Vette in the cold country, wherever it may be. It takes extra work in the tough months and also time to prep f/ those freezing months. My 'Vette has never been in any cold weather and has always been kept inside at night, and sometimes I feel guilty about the great shape cars are in here inthe hot and dry climate.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:42 AM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by ugadog
Depends on who “you” happens to be. We have plenty of folks here in Colorado who shouldn’t be driving their SUV in snow, much less any rear wheel drive vehicle. You can see dozens of them and their SUVs in the ditch every weekend on the way to the ski slopes. On the other hand, for many folks, there is not a car made that could not be driven satisfactorily in the snow.

Driving in snow is more a function of the driver, rather than the vehicle.

That said, a collector car does not belong in snow or rain.
The same thing can be said for driving on a smooth, open, dry, daytime Interstate. Some people couldn't drive if they were in the middle of a 10 lane highway and they were the only one on it.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:51 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

As mentioned, you CAN drive a C3 in snow. But, if you have any other vehicle to drive, that would be a better choice. A C3 on snow/ice is about as 'nimble' as an S-10 pickup with no weight in the back and totally bald tires.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:04 AM
ashes0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Name:  9kNKq.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  86.6 KB

Its my daily driver haha. If I'm going somewhere, this is how.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:35 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

The same thing can be said for driving on a smooth, open, dry, daytime Interstate. Some people couldn't drive if they were in the middle of a 10 lane highway and they were the only one on it.
Yeah they'd find someone/something to hit
Old 11-17-2012, 07:43 AM
bkvette3
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 82 Posts

Sorry guys, I can't be convinced. I have never drove any of my sports cars in winter. I know they are just a car. But the winters we get in Saskatchewan, Canada are brutal - wicked cold and tons of snow. And the amount of salt tossed on the road - unbelievable - guess that explains the 4 -5 year old vehicles starting to rust out around here. Always had a DD to sacrifice in the winter. Hate winter - moving to FLA.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:56 AM
ugadog
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, probably would be going the wrong direction.

This thread reminds me of my good buddy years ago who rode his motorcycle in the snow. He wrapped a cable round and round the rear tire and off he would go. He tried unsuccessfully to convince me to do the same with my bike ... but I had a habit of actually using my brain about once per year in those days. He finally wised up a few years later and bought a car.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:06 AM
Trae1976
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
As mentioned, you CAN drive a C3 in snow. But, if you have any other vehicle to drive, that would be a better choice. A C3 on snow/ice is about as 'nimble' as an S-10 pickup with no weight in the back and totally bald tires.
That's a really close description of my DD, which made my surprise snow adventure in the C3 a little more familiar.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:20 AM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by CQRT
Maybe 89 . . .Wickenburg to Prescott ?
Could Be! I have driven that road before, and it was a lot of fun. Never had a view of it like this, so you could very well be right.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:25 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

I had to drive my 68 coupe all year long for 4 1/2 years after a divorce. I could not afford a second car. I had a 327/350 4-speed with 3.70's. I drove it through two of the worst winters that Cleveland,Ohio had, around 1977-1978. I could start up on ice and snow better than anyone, but when I got up to 25 mph, it would get squirrelly in the back end. I think that an automatic might have been better in the snow. I finally got a 69 camaro to drive for $200.00! I had to change my frame in 1988, with the 2nd wife's help. Lou.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:28 PM
79L824SPD
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember back in the early 70's a guy who lived up the street had a Corvette with snow tires and a trailer hitch also. He used it to pull his 2 snowmobiles around. I was only 13 yrs old at the time and thought it was the coolest thing.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:53 PM
couperdecar
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bkvette3
Sorry guys, I can't be convinced. I have never drove any of my sports cars in winter. I know they are just a car. But the winters we get in Saskatchewan, Canada are brutal - wicked cold and tons of snow. And the amount of salt tossed on the road - unbelievable - guess that explains the 4 -5 year old vehicles starting to rust out around here. Always had a DD to sacrifice in the winter. Hate winter - moving to FLA.
Ya just got to pick and choose your days my friend. I'm on night shifts on Nov23 , 24th , and 25th. I'm betting money I'll be taking my vette to work those nights. ( it gets a good wash after I've had it out)

And don't move to FLA ! There will be 1000 other C3s driving around in Jan. down there. Stay here and it'll just be us two!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:19 PM
longbros
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my 70 big block in the snow, sitting in my driveway in 1974. The Corvette was my weekend car, so I did not drive it very much in the snow, just a few times. My daily driver was my 1969 GTO, you can just see the rear fender of it in this picture. Notice the car all the way at the back of the driveway. It was my 1953 Hudson Hornet Convertible. Sure wish I had it now, worth more than a lot of big dollar Corvettes now. By the way, I know where all three cars are now, and they are all restored, alive and well!
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-18-2012, 08:52 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

IMO, one ever really ever DRIVES in snow, ice, slush, and especially BLACK ICE......one just steers and prays......
Old 11-23-2012, 06:04 AM
bkvette3
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by couperdecar
Ya just got to pick and choose your days my friend. I'm on night shifts on Nov23 , 24th , and 25th. I'm betting money I'll be taking my vette to work those nights. ( it gets a good wash after I've had it out)

And don't move to FLA ! There will be 1000 other C3s driving around in Jan. down there. Stay here and it'll just be us two!
Hello Ron - After our second major dump of snow here in Regina - are you still piloting your '79 to work??? BK3
Old 11-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Yankeededandy
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by longbros
Here is my 70 big block in the snow, sitting in my driveway in 1974.
I just love these old pictures and the personal stories that go with them.

Martin

Get notified of new replies

To Can You Drive a Corvette in Snow? - A Few Old Pictures

Old 11-24-2012, 04:02 AM
couperdecar
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bkvette3
Hello Ron - After our second major dump of snow here in Regina - are you still piloting your '79 to work??? BK3
LOL . I'm into midnightshift number 1 , and .....the car isn't here. I was driving it around on Wed. during the day though. Maybe put 40 miles on it running errands around town. By the time I got it home it was raining pretty good. Washed it in the driveway, put it in the garage and within 15 mins the driveway was white. I shoveled the driveway twice that night. Major snowblowing job today. I'll probably let the city clean the streets before I venture out again. I've seen to many vehicles without winter tires get stuck the last couple days to push my luck.

Ya got to pick and choose those 'good' days.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

Tires weren't as wide back then either which helped the cause. I don't think anyone pretends to think a C5/C6 with their wide fat meats would be anything but a disaster in snow. Plus the 4wd revolution, nor FWD cars hadn't become popular yet. So, it was gong to be either the corvette, or maybe the catalina (or another rear wheel drive car)...
Old 11-24-2012, 09:43 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by longbros
Here is my 70 big block in the snow, sitting in my driveway in 1974. The Corvette was my weekend car, so I did not drive it very much in the snow, just a few times. My daily driver was my 1969 GTO, you can just see the rear fender of it in this picture. Notice the car all the way at the back of the driveway. It was my 1953 Hudson Hornet Convertible. Sure wish I had it now, worth more than a lot of big dollar Corvettes now. By the way, I know where all three cars are now, and they are all restored, alive and well!
[IMG][/IMG]
If all those cars are in the driveway, I can only imagine what you have in the garage

Quick Reply: Can You Drive a Corvette in Snow? - A Few Old Pictures