No action - Need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 05:57 PM
BEJ
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

Default No action - Need help

So after installing my re-done interior, new dash wiring harness, rebuilt motor and transmission, I am finally ready to start my 75 for the first time in nearly two years. I make sure to check and double check everything. Fluids good, distributor installed and lined up properly, ground strap connected, good charge on battery, etc. etc. etc. Put the key in the ignition. . .nothing. When I say nothing, I don't mean that the engine turned over and didn't start, I mean nothing. Absolutely nothing. So, what could it be? Maybe I wired the starter incorrectly? Does anyone have a picture they could share? I am deflated and would appreciate any help. As alway, thanks for your input.

Bryan
Old 11-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Do you have wiring diagrams or an AIM?
Old 11-09-2012, 07:39 PM
BEJ
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Raphiki
Do you have wiring diagrams or an AIM?
I have both. The wiring diagram shows the black and red wire going to the B terminal and the purple wire going to the S terminal. My starter has three terminals and neither are labeled B or S.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:37 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Looked at my wiring diagram for our '77 (should be the same as your '75?) Large black (+ bat) to large post, small red to starter large post, purple to small solenoid post, small black wire in your starter harness to ground (trans bolt, back of head, etc). If they have not been changed out, you should be able to tell by the size of the connectors. They will only fit one place correctly.

Someone please jump in here if I have posted something incorrect for his '75.

Adam

Hope this helps,
Adam
Old 11-09-2012, 09:51 PM
gkz
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BEJ
So after installing my re-done interior, new dash wiring harness, rebuilt motor and transmission, I am finally ready to start my 75 for the first time in nearly two years. I make sure to check and double check everything. Fluids good, distributor installed and lined up properly, ground strap connected, good charge on battery, etc. etc. etc. Put the key in the ignition. . .nothing. When I say nothing, I don't mean that the engine turned over and didn't start, I mean nothing. Absolutely nothing. So, what could it be? Maybe I wired the starter incorrectly? Does anyone have a picture they could share? I am deflated and would appreciate any help. As alway, thanks for your input.

Bryan
Any power at all? Key buzzer, courtesy lamps?
Old 11-10-2012, 02:34 AM
joshtried
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I agree with gkz.. How old is the battery? you said this project has been sitting for 2 yrs.. how old was the battery before it got put down for the project?
Old 11-10-2012, 05:26 AM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gkz
Any power at all? Key buzzer, courtesy lamps?

If no power at all, start at the battery and start tracing down where your power stops. If you have all other power minus starter, you can look at that. Is it wired correctly, is your fusible link good?
It will all start with where and if you have power going to anything. If so, post a pic of your starter wiring and someone will jump on quickly if it is wired correctly.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:04 AM
BEJ
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by scottw

If no power at all, start at the battery and start tracing down where your power stops. If you have all other power minus starter, you can look at that. Is it wired correctly, is your fusible link good?
It will all start with where and if you have power going to anything. If so, post a pic of your starter wiring and someone will jump on quickly if it is wired correctly.
Key buzzer, courtesy lights, everything interior works. Exterior lights work, fan works. The battery is older but has a good charge. It has been kept on a tender while the car was apart. I will be looking at the starter today. I must have wired it wrong. I will report back with my findings.

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:16 AM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

Neutral safety switch??
Old 11-10-2012, 11:41 AM
chadronvette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, same thing happened to me, it was the neutral safety switch that was out of adjustment from the install of the new trans.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:56 AM
BEJ
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

So after checking the starter I found that I didn't have it grounded. I had the ground wire hooked up on the large terminal where the bat and red wire go. So, grounded it and still not luck. Then the neutral safety switch post reminded me. My car's PO had cut the neutral safety switch wires and connected them together. When I was putting the interior back together, I un did his work. So, with this in mind, I pulled the shift plate and ran a jumper for those wires. Now the starter engages. I think the battery is dead because I can't get it to turn over, but at least I got that far. Thanks for all of the help.

Bryan
Old 11-10-2012, 11:56 AM
pik
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remote Starter solenoid installed at some point in past?
Old 11-10-2012, 02:49 PM
BEJ
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

So, the plot thickens. Now that the starter is wired properly, I turn the ignition and I hear the starter click, but that is it. I thought maybe the battery was just dead, no cca. I pulled the battery and took it to the local auto parts store. They tested it and told me that it has a full charge and 664 cca. Ok, battery is not the problem. Come home and think maybe the starter is just done. Get on my back, pull the starter and bench test it. Motor good, solenoid good and override clutch good. What next? Any advice? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 11-10-2012, 03:33 PM
vairxpert
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Did you try buckling your seat belt? Grasping at straws, but if you rewired everything is it possible you hooked your seat belt interlocks back up?
Old 11-10-2012, 03:35 PM
BEJ
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vairxpert
Did you try buckling your seat belt? Grasping at straws, but if you rewired everything is it possible you hooked your seat belt interlocks back up?
Don't have the seat belt interlock.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:23 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If the battery is good and the solenoid clicks repeatedly when the ignition is turned to start then the problem is most likely a poor ground or battery connection or a battery cable that is corroded internally.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

..is the started shimmed properly? Could it possibly be bound up once installed? Try spacing it out a bit and see if she turns over.

Get notified of new replies

To No action - Need help

Old 11-10-2012, 07:37 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Put a breaker bar on the balancer bolt and make sure the engine still turns first.
A car parked for years could possibly have rust where it will make the most problems. I wonder if the rings could rust themselves to the cylinder bores?
Old 11-11-2012, 11:02 PM
BEJ
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

First, I will address some suggestions. The starter wasn't shimmed when I removed it so it is not shimmed now. Also, the motor turns, it was just rebuilt.

So I did some more investigating. I know the starter works, bench tested it. I know that i have power coming from the battery and that I am getting power through the red wire to the fuse box and into the car. I checked the connections at the steering column and all appears to be ok. I have power to all the functions in the interior, including all of the lights and buzzers associated with the ignition switch. However, when I turn the key, I get no power to the starter. I connected the starter to the car's power and tried to get it to turn but got nothing. The starter was not mounted at this point, I don't know if that would make a difference. At this point I am at a loss. I don't understand how the neutral safety switch comes into play here. The PO had cut those wires and soldered them together. I reattached them, but when the starter wouldn't work, I made a jumper to put them back together in the hopes that it would help. Didn't. What am I missing here? I really need some help. I have wiring diagrams and the AIM but to be honest, they don't really tell me a lot. I am very confused and would really appreciate an assist.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 11-12-2012, 07:47 AM
BEJ
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

anyone?

Quick Reply: No action - Need help