Sponsored by:

C3 Value / Adding Value

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 01:20 PM
coreyt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 Value / Adding Value

hello everyone, I recently picked up a 1975, numbers matching, Coupe L-48, 3 speed automatic with 83,000 miles, . i worked a trade, my sailboat and 1,500.00 bucks for the vette. so far that means i'm about 3,500.00 into this car. My main goal is to Cruise around town looking kick a** but i want to make sure when it comes time to pass this along that i get what i put into it.

the exterior of the car is in rough shape. it defiantly needs stripped and repainted. are there colors that are more desirable than others?

the engine is in pretty good condition but its an L-48, i am pretty mechanically inclined and would enjoy uping the HP. does this have much effect on the value of the car either in a positive or negative way?

the car has an aftermarket hood scoop, i sold the hilborn style scoop in favor of a lower profile fiberglass scoop. any ideas as to added HP?

as a hole the mechanics of the car are in good shape. the car is pretty original and just needs regular maintenance to make her happy.

does anyone know the scoop with the rear bumper. i dont believe its the original bumper, confirmation?

the interior is in pretty good shape after i rebuilt the original gauges a lot of which were either broken or not hooked up. someone updated the radio which is kind of a bummer but i didn't plan of restoring it.

any advice on things i should update / leave as is would be awesome, thanks in advance.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by coreyt
...are there colors that are more desirable than others?...
That's up to you. What colors do you like?

...uping the HP. does this have much effect on the value of the car either in a positive or negative way?...
Possibly neither. It will have a negative affect on your pocket book.

...the car has an aftermarket hood scoop...any ideas as to added HP?...
Probably none.

...does anyone know the scoop with the rear bumper...
Your pic doesn't open for me.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:17 PM
coreyt
Intermediate

[IMG]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151087781613062&set=a.1 0151087781588062.437127.727608061&type=3 &theater

hmm, does this work, ive never added pics to this site before, heres a link if it doesnt work.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

[/IMG]
Originally Posted by Easy Mike
That's up to you. What colors do you like?

Possibly neither. It will have a negative affect on your pocket book.

Probably none.

Your pic doesn't open for me.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:35 PM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

Make the car into what you want. I'd suggest putting together a "dream" list of what you want. The work with that list when it comes time to choose parts.

In my area (Seattle), on Craigslist, there is a LT1 and 6 speed combo for sale for 3k, I'd consider something like that for what you're wanting to do. The rest, build it into your car; as the car sellers say "there's a donkey's hindquarters for every seat"

Keeping in mind, the farther from 'norm' you veer the more difficult it will be to find that hindquarter.

I've detailed the build of mine on another website, and I'd suggest you look at other people's detailed builds to help you decide what you want to do with yours. My goal is autocross, and the car is build with that entire purpose in mind - but I hate hurting when I drive, so there were some accommodations made
Old 11-09-2012, 02:38 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Paint the car the original color.

That is an '80-'82 style rear bumper on it. The car has probably already been painted at least once
Old 11-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

Your Facebook link doesn't work, either. Put your pictures in one of the on-line photo repositories. I use PhotoBucket; it's free. Once you have your pics in your PhotoBucket album, you can imbed the links in your posts.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:09 PM
coreyt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy
Make the car into what you want. I'd suggest putting together a "dream" list of what you want. The work with that list when it comes time to choose parts.

In my area (Seattle), on Craigslist, there is a LT1 and 6 speed combo for sale for 3k, I'd consider something like that for what you're wanting to do. The rest, build it into your car; as the car sellers say "there's a donkey's hindquarters for every seat"

Keeping in mind, the farther from 'norm' you veer the more difficult it will be to find that hindquarter.

I've detailed the build of mine on another website, and I'd suggest you look at other people's detailed builds to help you decide what you want to do with yours. My goal is autocross, and the car is build with that entire purpose in mind - but I hate hurting when I drive, so there were some accommodations made
thanks for your input. im excited about this car, i dont want to get carried away but its going to be a fun project.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:12 PM
coreyt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by qwank
Paint the car the original color.

That is an '80-'82 style rear bumper on it. The car has probably already been painted at least once
you are correct, the original color was white, and it has been painted once after that, a very poor paint job.

thanks for your input. oddly enough the guy that made the mold for those years is the guy who married my wife and i. i'm surprised he never mentioned it wasn't the stock bumper.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:14 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Hi Corey,

1975 corvettes don't hold alot of value already, and like most projects you do not get your money back out of it when it comes time to sell. Feel free to add some HP for your own benefit. You could keep the original motor (if it is original) on the side and drop in a crate motor, very popular thing to do.

Personally, I would lose the non-funtional blower scoop since you do not have a blower motor. It's not even centered.

As far as the mechanics go, I would consider adding a radiator shroud.

Last edited by LeMans Pete; 11-09-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:17 PM
coreyt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LeMans Pete
Hi Corey,

1975 corvettes don't hold alot of value already, and like most projects you do not get your money back out of it when it comes time to sell. Feel free to add some HP for your own benefit. You could keep the original motor (if it is original) on the side and drop in a crate motor, very popular thing to do.

Personally, I would lose the non-funtional blower scoop since you do not have a blower motor. It's not even centered.
i completely agree, that was the first thing i did. i swapped it out for a lower profile fiberglass scoop as it was mush less expensive than a new hood or messing with trying to patch a giant hole.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

coreyt
Here is a picture of me with my first vette...a white '75 L48 auto. Maybe this is your car....in the summer of '76?

Old 11-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

Nice pic. How come your "helper" isn't helping? I could never wash my 74 without my two daughters wanting to "help" when they were about his size. My two became quite proficient at doing rally wheels.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:09 PM
coreyt
Intermediate

thats a great pic. i have a 4 year old son and about that build and hair cut, uncanny.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:42 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Because it won't cost much except time, try buffing that out. You might just get a shine on it you can live with until you get it painted (saving more time and money for the mechanicals). /:\
Old 11-11-2012, 07:21 AM
stingr4y
Racer

Very cool car!

Love the side pipes. It has a retro look that, to me is worth preserving.

With the mods I see, I doubt the engine is internally correct even if it came with the car.

Slap on a racing stripe and go!

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Value / Adding Value

Quick Reply: C3 Value / Adding Value