4 Post Lift Install...Pro Park 8

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 10:45 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 4 Post Lift Install...Pro Park 8

I ordered my Pro Park from Derek Weaver on Wednesday, and it was delivered at work on Thursday...Fort Worth to Houston. It was delivered to my work location so that it could be unloaded by a fork lift (REQUIRED). We put it on a flat bed and pulled it by truck to my house that same day.

It took 4 middle aged guys to unload it. The big issue was the main drive up rail that included the master cylinder for the lift. It had to be 600 lbs alone. Taking it off the flat bed was a challenge, but we did it.

From there, I waited until Saturday to do anything. I did some partial assembly and planned out the final assembly on Saturday. This took about 1 hour. Here's what I got accomplished.

On Sunday a buddy came over and we put it together. Within an hour we had the structure together.

At this point we started hooking up the cables and power. This took an other hour.

At this point we thought we were done at about 2 pm. We hit a snag. The unit would go up, but not down. This took 2 1/2 hours to figure out. Ultimately, we had a an interference with the backup locking release. Once we figured that out we were toasting BEER's!!!

Overall, it was pretty easy. Only a few tough lifts. If we had not been carefull, we could have gotten hurt. Having 3 guys would have made it easier and safer.

Here's the final product:

Old 10-28-2012, 11:43 PM
SD71VETTE
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice!

Old 10-29-2012, 12:17 AM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Is that unit bolted to your garage floor?
Old 10-29-2012, 01:53 AM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Four middle aged guys??

It took one 62 year old and an engine hoist to unload and assemble mine. LOL

You're going to love having the lift. I also got a bridge jack for mine. It makes it a lot easier when you need to take off the tires.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:02 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe I cover over things at a time. First off, I have an engine picker and nylop straps. I did the assembly thing myself, but surely the engine picker could avoid man some power. Somehow think saving those 400 lb platporms swinging about, gotta be safer. Anyway, the lift has been together for years, and not a mark on me.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:14 AM
Douglas Mariani
GM Cert Corvette Tech
Pro Mechanic

Received 439 Likes on 198 Posts

Very nice!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:56 AM
GPGG70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations!!
I have the same lift and have put it thru the test. I love it. I also put mine together by myself. I rented a bob cat and left the bob cat at the house and used the trailer to go get the lift at the freight depot where they loaded it on the trailer I then spoted the lift in my garage with the bob cat then returned the bob cat to the rental co. Between my engine hoist and floor jacks and many, many blocks of wood it took me three days to build, spot and test the lift.
I want a second lift now.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:38 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by briankeery
Is that unit bolted to your garage floor?
Seriously, I do not see any bolts anchoring it to the floor. Is that safe ?
Old 10-29-2012, 11:06 AM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scrappy76
I have had a Back Yard Buddy lift in one bay of my garage for 20+ years ..not bolted down to the floor and I have a second Gemini in another bay that also has not been bolted down to the floor for over 10 years...

While both work fine.
BUT I honestly feel much more comfortable under a car on the Back Yard Buddy lift as I just do not like 3 sided posts (like those on pictured lift and on my Gemini ..

Bob G.
BTW... I put my Back Yard buddy together over a several week period after I had bypass heart surgery...took so long because I had to wait for my wife to go to work so I could sneak out and work on it...
Applied Physics (fulcrums...ie digging irons) car jack and air tools allowed me to do it myself ... OF course I got the riot act read to me after my wife discovered what I did...

Old 10-29-2012, 01:14 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Those lifts do NOT need to be bolted down. Mine has a set of removable wheels that will allow it to be rolled around however I want it. It would be tough to get it to move with the pads bolted down.

Yes, it is safer bolted. No, it won't fall over with weight on it. I did get some 'light' rocking with mine as it raised the car, so I put some rubber "cushions" on the bottom of the corner post plates. Bought a 1/2" thick rubber floor mat (about 2' x 3') at Lowe's, cut 4 pads out to the correct size, put the wheels on the lift to raise the posts, and contact cemented the pads to the bottom of the post plates. Now, it's rock-solid when in operation and doesn't leave any wear marks on the floor.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:32 PM
ORANGEBROTHERS
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Beautiful I want one!
Old 10-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Gemini lift's been sitting on the floor unbolted for years with a car on it, and no problems yet. Also, since you're tight into I space, I'd get, or fabricate a hydraulic pump kit, that relocates the hydraulic pump to the inside post. Gives you more room to walk around it. Fabbed up my own, but later learned you could buy it as an accessory kit.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:40 PM
sonnystingray
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default lift

I got the same lift and assembled it myself ( calling on my neighbors to help with the heavy lifting parts)
I let mine free float as well and it actually withstood an earth quake last year.
Enjoy it, Youll wonder why you didnt get one years ago

Originally Posted by CWerner
I ordered my Pro Park from Derek Weaver on Wednesday, and it was delivered at work on Thursday...Fort Worth to Houston. It was delivered to my work location so that it could be unloaded by a fork lift (REQUIRED). We put it on a flat bed and pulled it by truck to my house that same day.

It took 4 middle aged guys to unload it. The big issue was the main drive up rail that included the master cylinder for the lift. It had to be 600 lbs alone. Taking it off the flat bed was a challenge, but we did it.

From there, I waited until Saturday to do anything. I did some partial assembly and planned out the final assembly on Saturday. This took about 1 hour. Here's what I got accomplished.

On Sunday a buddy came over and we put it together. Within an hour we had the structure together.

At this point we started hooking up the cables and power. This took an other hour.

At this point we thought we were done at about 2 pm. We hit a snag. The unit would go up, but not down. This took 2 1/2 hours to figure out. Ultimately, we had a an interference with the backup locking release. Once we figured that out we were toasting BEER's!!!

Overall, it was pretty easy. Only a few tough lifts. If we had not been carefull, we could have gotten hurt. Having 3 guys would have made it easier and safer.

Here's the final product:

Old 10-30-2012, 09:47 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sonnystingray
I got the same lift and assembled it myself ( calling on my neighbors to help with the heavy lifting parts)
I let mine free float as well and it actually withstood an earth quake last year.
Enjoy it, Youll wonder why you didnt get one years ago
How did it stand up to hurricane Sandy???
Old 10-31-2012, 12:37 AM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

What is one of these worth...you know, ballpark.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:49 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Well I am sure the bolt holes in the leg pads are not there for decoration. I am sure they are pretty sturdy enough to hold things up without being bolted down, but betta safe than sorry.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:25 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

How high does the ceiling need to be? Looks like you're ceiling isn't much more than 10'....

Get notified of new replies

To 4 Post Lift Install...Pro Park 8

Old 10-31-2012, 09:33 AM
sonnystingray
Racer

Default sandy

No real issues at my home in deptford, just wind and rain, but I dont know about my beach house in Ocean City, They wont let us on the island yet.

The 74 and 03 are both safe and sound

Originally Posted by my 76 ray
How did it stand up to hurricane Sandy???
Old 10-31-2012, 09:40 AM
sonnystingray
Racer

Default anchors

you can bolt it to the floor or have it free standing. Mine is free standing. I can hook up wheels and move it around when it doesnt have a car on it. It moves but its not light.

We had a small earth quake last year and I bet that if I had it anchored it would have collapsed as we shoook north to south, Just my opinion

Originally Posted by scrappy76
Old 10-31-2012, 11:07 AM
buckhorn 76
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am planning on one , should be ok as a one old guy deal. i will use the cherry picker, the chain fall, and my little kubota loader backhoe. back in the day it would have been," who needs all that crap gitoutta my way and watch this " .

Quick Reply: 4 Post Lift Install...Pro Park 8