Ultrasonic Mouse Chasers

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 10:43 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Ultrasonic Mouse Chasers

HAs anyone tried using the Ultrasonic mouse chasers in their Vette while in winter storage ? Do they work ? I have tried Moth ***** with poor results. It seems at this time the only good thing is mouse traps checked daily

8Valve
Old 10-03-2012, 11:00 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Junk-
I live on a farm and the only thing that keeps mice out are good old fashioned spring traps around the perimeter of the car, screwed to some wood so the mice don't keep disappearing with my traps!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:41 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,608 Posts

The ultransonic didnt work for me. Old fashioned spring traps with peanut butter. They ate holes in the headliner of my GTO and took the stuffing, walked across the garage, and used the stuffing to make a nest in one of the frame holes on the Corvette.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Get a cat. Name it UltraSonic. It will work.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:24 AM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 813 Likes on 456 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Easy Mike
That's a great answer
The lil rats ate all the tan plastic off my e-brake light wire under my
console.
The blue pellets at WalMart work. They eat that stuff like candy.
Then they go 4 water and explode inside.
Good stuff.
Marshal
Old 10-05-2012, 11:47 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Two years ago was a bad year for mice. I live in the country and shortly after harvest the little creeps attacked the wiring harness going to the high pressure fuel pump in my Cadillac CTS and chewed up several wires in the underhood fuse box in my GMC-2500HD. The CTS was an easy repair but I had to repair several wires in the GMC. I noticed the check engine light was on before I even put the key in the ignition but it started and ran normally, when I got home I turned the key off but the diesel engine kept running and I had to pull a fuse to kill it.

I use both traps and the blue bait, after this experience I am a "belt plus suspenders" type of guy when it comes to rodents.

Apparently some companies have started using peanut oil as an ingredient in the plastic wire insulation which makes it extra tasty to mice. The same year I had the problem two friends with new BMW's were also sabotaged by Mickey Mouse.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:51 PM
kjb13
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I left a bucket of used anti-freeze in the garage without thinking once. I do that alot.(not thinking, I mean) What a surprise when I later emptied the bucket and found 6 dead mice in it. The little buggers jumped in and couldn't get back out. Since they were completely submerged there was no odor. DO NOT do this if there are any family pets that can get into the garage, or make it so that larger animals and kids can't get to it. I assume the little buggers drown in a very short time, so it might even be more humane than some traps that don't always kill quickly. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:41 PM
tjhphoto
Advanced

Old RV trick. Use Irish Spring soap bars cut up in chunks and leave them all around, it works!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:48 PM
rvazquez
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 82 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

Originally Posted by tjhphoto
Old RV trick. Use Irish Spring soap bars cut up in chunks and leave them all around, it works!
Absolutely correct, and Bounce dryer sheets
smells a lot better than mothballs, and really works
After about 60 days, they lose a little of their potency.
Regards
Roy
Old 10-05-2012, 05:45 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Irish Spring and dryer sheets may work in the suburbs but not in the sticks. Mice out here bath with Irish Spring and dry themselves off with the dryer sheets..

I don't even use the pellets here because all they do is eat them, crawl off into the car somewhere to die and then you get that lovely dead rodent smell in the car for the next 5 years because you can't find the carcass.

Spring traps are the only fool-proof method for serious rodent issues.
So far, I haven't found a better mouse trap..
Old 10-05-2012, 07:05 PM
shok
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I was overrun by rodents years ago after a big quake in the LA area left the building next door deserted. They had the run of the place and then when the building was bulldozed they headed my way. The only thing that did the trick in a humane way was the spring traps. Gross and sometimes they flip around for a few secs but better than poison or the glue traps.
I'm such a softie that when I tried a glue trap and found the rat stuck to it but alive I got a stick and some oil and slowly pried it free
It probably came back and got killed by the spring traps I put out after that tho
Old 10-05-2012, 07:37 PM
mtwilsonboy
Advanced

Whos worried about a humane way of killing the rats, just kill them. Spring traps,
Old 10-05-2012, 07:41 PM
shok
Racer

Well everyone seems to agree on the killing them part. You gots to kill the vermin or get overrun. If all things are equal except humane versus inhumane I'll take humane. Why should anything suffer if it can be avoided?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best finding more about rodent habits, and the "bugspray.com" site is a good one. Just click on "M" for mice, and will tell you a lot. Once the mice get in, they figure it's their house, and you need to kill them off, or they'll just get in another way. Cat's sound like a good idea, but usually involves food and water left out, so not good. I use peanut butter baited spring traps facing the walls, as sometimes the critters accidently step on them at night. Gotta keep an eye on these during seasonal changes though, as when they like to come in. Toss the dead ones outside, as will stink you out, if in the garage garbage can. As mentioned, check the Bug Spray site.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:16 AM
PhotoVette1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I caught the mouse who had been eating sunflower seeds whilst sitting in my shifter boot. The darn thing was so cute and nice, I keep it as a pet. This is Samantha, a cotton mouse.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:54 PM
shok
Racer

You've got to be pretty quick to catch one. I did once and picked it up by its tail, it then climbed up its own tail and bit my finger. So then it was dangling by my finger while I'm yelling get it off! I think we got it into a box or something after it removed its pit bull like death grip.
Luckily it didn't puncture the skin.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:08 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by tjhphoto

Good idea.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:53 PM
manofsteel1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sshoot them and then either bite or twist their heads off. Whichever suits ya

Get notified of new replies

To Ultrasonic Mouse Chasers

Quick Reply: Ultrasonic Mouse Chasers