Sponsored by:

C3 corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 05:31 PM
redwhitekat
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C3 corvettes

Mine is a 74 do you guys think these cars will one day be an actuall collector car ? I don't think right now they are due to the fact that there's so many around for sale etc. maybe in another 3o years ??? What do I think
Old 09-28-2012, 05:45 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
Mine is a 74 do you guys think these cars will one day be an actuall collector car ? I don't think right now they are due to the fact that there's so many around for sale etc. maybe in another 3o years ??? What do I think
in a word - yes. but it's gonna be a while....

'74's RULE!

Old 09-28-2012, 06:51 PM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Love the 74 but crome bumpers look better, IMO. 69s look great.

That being said, I love my 74 and have had a great 11 years with it.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:56 PM
danthony
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe - 1974 is the first year for rubber front and back bumpers.

The BB convertibles are already desirable.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:34 PM
KTKelly
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I've heard that set 74's apart:

First year urethane bumpers front and rear.

Only year with split rear bumper.

Last year for true dual exhausts.

And for me, and probably many others, the 74 is the most desirable of the urethane bumpered cars. Had I not got into a 69, I would most likely have a 74.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

A Corvette will always be worth money.
There is someone around the corner who wants to own a vette whether their first or think they need a second one sitting around to **** off the neighbors!
Old 09-29-2012, 04:24 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,717 Likes on 2,275 Posts

No. The '74 and later cars will never achieve "collector" status...with the definition being that there will be cars of that vintage sought after by actual collectors who want them for their collections/museums.

The only collector cars in the C3 groups are (and will be) the L-88's, the ZL cars, the '68/69 BB high-performance cars, and the 1970 LT-1's and hi-perf BB cars.

All the other C3's will be "hobby" cars, but won't ever be considered seriously by the 'real' collectors.

I didn't mention the '73 cars, because the '73 BB cars might someday fall into the collector status...at least in some folks thinking...strictly because of the one-year only body styling.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:29 AM
Young Bill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
No. The '74 and later cars will never achieve "collector" status...with the definition being that there will be cars of that vintage sought after by actual collectors who want them for their collections/museums.

The only collector cars in the C3 groups are (and will be) the L-88's, the ZL cars, the '68/69 BB high-performance cars, and the 1970 LT-1's and hi-perf BB cars.

All the other C3's will be "hobby" cars, but won't ever be considered seriously by the 'real' collectors.

I didn't mention the '73 cars, because the '73 BB cars might someday fall into the collector status...at least in some folks thinking...strictly because of the one-year only body styling.
Rubbish....
As everything becomes older and rarer they will inevitably become collectable. Just saying....
Old 09-29-2012, 08:49 AM
jimo
Drifting

In time, they will all become rarer, thus making them collectable !!!
Collectable cars of today weren't always collectable , time made them that way.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

You must be a "chrome bumper" owner because that is the only type who would be that narrow minded and arrogant.
I guess you never heard of a 74 BB, 75 convertible, 78 Pacecar, or the 82 "collector" edition???
They need to start calling c3s: "C3 early and C3 late" class so chrome bumper people and can have their own corner of the parking lot to gloat over their monster 350ci, 270 HP status. whooptie doo!

Last edited by Tim H; 09-29-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:09 AM
63vert
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the other members posts are right on, if you're looking for your 74 to hit the big money you're going to have wait. One thing I've noticed in the forum is the people, they are true enthusiasts and for most part own Corvettes because they just love the car. I think you would be best served to just enjoy it. Thats why the boys at Chevrolet started building them in the first place.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:12 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Well, thanks for bashing my opinion. But, that's still my opinion, anyway. I'm not a "chrome bumper elitist". I've owned a '74, '84, and other early C3's and like them all. But what was asked was "Do you guys think these cars will become collectible?"

Are all C1's collectible? No. Are all C2's collectible? No. Only the most unusual, high-performance, rarest combination cars make it to the "collectible" status. There is nothing 'rare', 'unusual', or 'high-performance' about a low-compression SB, cookie-cutter mid-70's Corvette. They make a nice "hobby" car for the C3 enthusiasts; and they are fun to work on, clean up, drive on the weekends, and even take to car cruise-ins or shows. But, that doesn't make them... "Collectible".

And, from now on, when someone on the Forum posts their OPINION, why don't you politely state that you disagree and state your reasons.... rather than childishly calling others names or stereotyping them because of YOUR elitist assumption that you are right and others who differ from you are wrong.

P.S. You are correct about one thing... MY car will never become "collectible", just like YOUR car will never become "collectible".

Last edited by 7T1vette; 09-29-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:33 AM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I own 6 Corvettes My wife "Assumes" they are all collectible...

But in my mind only 64 and 72 convertibles MAY at some point be collectibles ..

BUT my 76 or 79 sure is not ever going to be a collectible for at least another 50 to 100 years nor are my 35th ANC 89 or my 98 Convertible

Who really cares...

Bob G
Old 09-29-2012, 11:52 AM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

Anything can be a "collectable".
Stuff that is made to be collectable (in an investment sense) never is (1982 CE Vette included).
Ferraris are collectable and investment grade because so few of them are made initially. (Production numbers below 100 examples).
In this sense, NO Corvette should be collectable or investment grade. There's simply too many of them made. All of them, C1 thru C6.
What makes them collectable is a very dedicated following. Beyond that, the inflated price is a "bubble". Like any bubble, it is due to burst someday.
I bought my car to drive and enjoy, not looking to make a buck at a later date. If that's what you're after, you'll likely be disappointed.
If you want an automotive investment, buy a Duesenberg, a M-B 300 Gullwing, a Porsche Speedster, an AC Cobra, etc. Corvettes will never rise to this level.

Just my opinion...
Carter
Old 09-29-2012, 01:25 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Well, thanks for bashing my opinion. But, that's still my opinion, anyway. I'm not a "chrome bumper elitist". I've owned a '74, '84, and other early C3's and like them all. But what was asked was "Do you guys think these cars will become collectible?"

Are all C1's collectible? No. Are all C2's collectible? No. Only the most unusual, high-performance, rarest combination cars make it to the "collectible" status. There is nothing 'rare', 'unusual', or 'high-performance' about a low-compression SB, cookie-cutter mid-70's Corvette. They make a nice "hobby" car for the C3 enthusiasts; and they are fun to work on, clean up, drive on the weekends, and even take to car cruise-ins or shows. But, that doesn't make them... "Collectible".

And, from now on, when someone on the Forum posts their OPINION, why don't you politely state that you disagree and state your reasons.... rather than childishly calling others names or stereotyping them because of YOUR elitist assumption that you are right and others who differ from you are wrong.

P.S. You are correct about one thing... MY car will never become "collectible", just like YOUR car will never become "collectible".

I disagree 100%
Old 09-29-2012, 02:35 PM
toolman1981
Racer

Just one persons OPINION presented as FACT!

I'm an ACTUAL collector, I have collected just 1 Vette so far.

Really, who cares anyway?

Old 09-29-2012, 03:45 PM
LS7Vette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is a 74 and I love it. I have dumped much more into it like most of us out there then it will ever be worth. If your asking will they ever bring money like a 68-72 the answer is simply "No". Its not because there are just so many around (infact I see more chrome bumpers around because everyone dumped money into them to restore). The mid 70s c3's on just didnt offer the performance that comes to mind with years before (these cars werent as bad as people make them out to, but they still werent like the earlier years).

Anyway, the price itself will probably keep going up, but the value of a dollar will also keep going down, so just becuase in 25 years it will cost $35,000 for your average 74, doesnt make much difference if $35,000 then is what $15,000 is now.

Late 60s and 70s cars are pretty much in their prime. Already you have seen the prices dropping over the past few years and I am sure a lot has to do with the economy. Its also has a big part of age groups. Guys tend to want the cars they would have liked to own when they were young but could not afford, or had one then and want another one now. As the age groups get older and dont have time to deal or drive theses cars (not saying its coming soon) the desire will decrease somewhat (unknown how much) but I am pretty sure it will.

Im 30 years old and I have owned my 74 since I was 15 years old. It was my first car and I dont have any plans on selling it. What I can tell you is that the many people I know in my age bracket, only a small part of the car guys even care for the 60s-70s era cars. Most only start to like a small amount of 80s cars such as a GN Buick or a few Camaros or Firebirds (once again probably because its what they knew growing up).

Anyway, back to the question of value, I think the price will keep going up but if you compare it to the inflation of a dollar, I dont think you will ever see a real difference in actual value, nor do I think it will ever get much better then what it is now. It still does not change how much I love my 74 and I dont plan on selling it. I hope I get to say I still own my first car when I am 60, 70, etc.

Enjoy them and drive them often, I know I dont get to use mine nearly as often as I would like.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 corvettes

Old 09-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

It's just an old car. But a fun one so drive it and enjoy for now. I doubt that the internal combustion engine will be around (and the fuel needed) in 30 years. Collector car, no.

Last edited by Paul L; 09-29-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:14 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Owning a '74 (or any other C3) is one thing. Calling one car a "collection" is something else. If you think that you are a 'collector' because you own one, well, good for you. We have significantly different definitions for a "collector" car. But, that's why I included my definition in my prior post.

Have fun with your collection....
Old 09-29-2012, 08:19 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Owning a '74 (or any other C3) is one thing. Calling one car a "collection" is something else. If you think that you are a 'collector' because you own one, well, good for you. We have significantly different definitions for a "collector" car. But, that's why I included my definition in my prior post.

Have fun with your collection....
Wow dude....just wow.

Quick Reply: C3 corvettes