C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should i concider this cheap vette? rough. yaya or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Reminds me of what many boaters say. Really just a hole in the middle of the lake, you throw money into. The parts car thing, may sound good at first, but gotta get it home first, and have room to work on it. Not to mention your labor pulling things off. No thanks.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:14 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 301 Likes on 215 Posts

I'd buy it. I have paid more for worse and have made great cars from them. If you are looking for an investment walk away but for a project take it. I have done a few of these types. Don't listen to anyone on here unless they have done a full resto.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:54 AM
L71Ragtop
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 vette
I'd buy it. I have paid more for worse and have made great cars from them. If you are looking for an investment walk away but for a project take it. I have done a few of these types. Don't listen to anyone on here unless they have done a full resto.
seats $600

Last edited by L71Ragtop; 09-17-2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: double posted
Old 09-17-2012, 11:59 AM
L71Ragtop
Racer

I've done a full rusto sooooo
I would buy it the tilt wheel is $500 the electric windows $300
trans $600
I would buy it just to pull the gas tnk sticker to see what the car is
you might hit a home run
Old 09-17-2012, 12:24 PM
ShootCraps
Racer

That car needs a frame-off resto and lots of money to make it road-worthy, if you got the space and time. If the engine and tranny are shot, it's not even a parts car.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:59 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

If that car was the same year as my car, I'd absolutely purchase it as a parts car. Many of those things look to still be in decent shape and would only be purchased at great expense later on down the road.

That said, if you WILL purchase a Corvette and it WILL be of similar vintage to this particular car, I would ABSOLUTELY purchase it and take it apart. Squirrel away the good parts and throw away the rest. You'll be patting yourself on the back when you make your ultimate purchase and will learn a great deal about the car in the process.

Nothing better than taking apart something you don't intend on putting back together again!
Old 09-17-2012, 01:05 PM
mad pad house
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There would be alot of time and money to bring this car back.It would be hard to invest the money on a car that may not return the money invested.If you intend a frame off,a older vette may cost more but a better return on your money would be likely.If you have the time buy the car as a parts car ,sell off the parts and in the process of taking this car apart learn about what you are getting yourself into.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:37 PM
Tim81
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

For $500.00 I'd take a chance on it. Get it home, pull the body and check the frame and the birdcage, if everything looks good then you have a decision to make. Judging by the pictures I think you could easily double your money if you part it out. JMO
Old 09-17-2012, 09:45 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 251 Likes on 174 Posts

If your skills are up to it, buy it and bring it home to evaluate. Then you can:

a. Part it out
b. Try to put it back together as cheaply as you can
c. Make that custom you'd like since it isn't costing anything to begin with

Odds are the front windshield frame is shot, rusted out. If it becomes a fair weather car only, you might be OK but odds are you will still need to do windshield frame repair work.

Rear luggage compartment is broken so it has taken a heck of a rear end hit. The entire frame could be screwed, in that case, it is just parts and not that many.

Could be a perfect candidate for a station wagon kit.

Or a set of fiberglass bumpers molded into the body.

Four speed car could be fun to build up, but be sure to check all the prices and throw in another 50% just because. You can probably double your estimate to be close.

If you have never built a car before, then consider it a parts car you will take about and sell off on eBay, Craigslist, and swap meets. Trying to rebuild it if you never have before will run you $20,000 into it easily and you can buy a lot of nice cars for less. Heck, you can buy two of these in GREAT condition for what your costs will be.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:34 AM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

absolutely buy it and rebuild it. You'll never make money on it, so you won't start rebuilding it (and cheaping out to save money) before you admit that you really do want the car to be something different.

Don't listen to the car dealers - seriously, you want a car no one cares about - and the overwhelming noise in this room is no one cares; it's just parts. Doing a car that is that far gone, will give you a huge amount of pride and confidence in your work - and best of all, because it's not worthy of restoring; if you totally muff it, you'll have the practice for when you do a car that can't be muffed.

It runs, it's a very desirably 4 speed, those cars are still junked with regularity so there's a billion parts out there - and very reasonable, especially if you do the swap meet thing and do not have a schedule to do it

buy it, now, and resurrect it. it's a perfect first car the fact it runs is simply icing on the cake.

but do not mistake me, that car's easily 2000 hours of work if it needs nothing but what we see

Quick Reply: Should i concider this cheap vette? rough. yaya or nay?