C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My daughter was in her 1st accident today!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 06:06 PM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

Hardest part of your job is reminding yourself that the other 99% of the population (the ones you don't work with) are as concerned with their families and not hurting others as you are about your daughter.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:10 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy
Hardest part of your job is reminding yourself that the other 99% of the population (the ones you don't work with) are as concerned with their families and not hurting others as you are about your daughter.
It's true, after working with all the bad for so many years day in and day out, you begin to think everyone is just like that. This forum helps me to come back to reality. There are so many friendly/helpful people I have met and chatted with.!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:42 PM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Glad all kids in this thread are ok.

What is it with Mustangs anyway? I bought my son a new 2001 Mustang GT when he was 21 (against my better judgement but my wife convinced me to give him some trusted space). Just like you, I recieved that dreaded call but mine was at 0230 in the morning with the son on the other end saying that he had been in an accident.

Same response, "are you ok?" Shaken up a bit and bruised but ok healthwise. When I got to the scene, for about 5-6 blocks all I could see was red and blue flashing lights all over the place. I thought, HOLY SH#$ and floored my truck to get there. My son didn't explain the accident on the phone so thinking he was ok, I was now in fear that someone else may be hurt. I arrived on scene and found that my son had spun out of control and hit 9 trees (all lined up in the grassy median area between the sidewalk and the curb). He hit the first tree head on and the car continued to spin and impact against all of the rest slinging parts all over the roadway. The only straight piece of metal on the car was the roof.

Turns out, he was rounding a curve (at the posted speed limit) in the rain and completely lost control. There were no other cars involved and fortunately my son doesn't drink so that was not an issue either. He was cited for "too fast for conditions" and the car was repaired but only because the thing was brand new.

Scary stuff! I still have to go through the driving thing with one more son next year. Told him, his first car was going to be a big yellow school bus.

Terry
Old 09-12-2012, 10:59 PM
malicatasr
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear everyone is ok. My kids are still young and I don't know how I'm deal with it when they are older.. I missed that part of the manual.. along with the wife fine print
Old 09-13-2012, 02:14 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

OK, first of all, daanbc, I'm glad your daughter is OK. When I was a sergeant in the army, I used to worry myself sick over my boys, and we weren't even related! I can't imagine what it must be like to worry over a daughter.

Secondly, you guys are crazy buying new cars for your kids! Any child's first car should be a beat up old Volvo. (Safest cars in the world!)

Thirdly, I think a lot of accidents could be avoided if being found at fault in an automobile accident due to negligence or carelessness were treated as a criminal offense. As in, you could possibly be sent to jail for it. That's a 2 ton dangerous weapon you're driving around in, kid!

OK, I'm done with the soapbox, anybody else wanna stand on it?

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 09-13-2012, 08:28 AM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by scottyp99
OK, first of all, daanbc, I'm glad your daughter is OK. When I was a sergeant in the army, I used to worry myself sick over my boys, and we weren't even related! I can't imagine what it must be like to worry over a daughter.

Secondly, you guys are crazy buying new cars for your kids! Any child's first car should be a beat up old Volvo. (Safest cars in the world!)

Thirdly, I think a lot of accidents could be avoided if being found at fault in an automobile accident due to negligence or carelessness were treated as a criminal offense. As in, you could possibly be sent to jail for it. That's a 2 ton dangerous weapon you're driving around in, kid!

OK, I'm done with the soapbox, anybody else wanna stand on it?

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Thanx scotty99, my daughters mustang is a 2000. Thats why I was able to get parts from the junkyard on the cheap. She's had it now four yeasrs.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Been there too. My youngest is 25, all 3 of our kids have been in accidents in which the cars were totaled. But due to the significant safety improvements of modern cars none of them were seriously injured.
When I took apart the doors of my 72 corvette during restoration I was surprised to see no side impact bracing whatsoever. They updated that a few yrs later.
Oh well, kind of like riding a motorcycle, I guess.
My youngest has a new motorcycle, I myself have owned a dozen or so over the yrs. I preach to him all the time about driving defensively. It's all you can do.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:44 AM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Sunstroked
Been there too. My youngest is 25, all 3 of our kids have been in accidents in which the cars were totaled. But due to the significant safety improvements of modern cars none of them were seriously injured.
When I took apart the doors of my 72 corvette during restoration I was surprised to see no side impact bracing whatsoever. They updated that a few yrs later.
Oh well, kind of like riding a motorcycle, I guess.
My youngest has a new motorcycle, I myself have owned a dozen or so over the yrs. I preach to him all the time about driving defensively. It's all you can do.
Had a bike also(actually a couple). But after being in so many near misses, I was forced to give it up. I'm sorry to say, the drivers down here in South Florida are worst then NY from were I learned to DRIVE! Yes the cars are built much better then years ago! I remember biting the dash on my dads old chevy. Before that the dash's were metal. I also remember falling asleep in the rear floor boards with my head on the drive-shaft hump. The vibrations would put me to sleep. LOL.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:38 PM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

too bad, but why tell it here????? I didn't realize a CORVETTE forum was a place to blog about our boring and dull lives
Old 09-13-2012, 04:18 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Have a 16 year old son. Bought him a 97 Honda CRV. With a 4 cylinder I figure he can't go too fast. Glad your daughter is ok. I've also joined the worried parent club. My prize for enrollment in this club is a lot of gray hair.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:25 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by corvetteload
too bad, but why tell it here????? I didn't realize a CORVETTE forum was a place to blog about our boring and dull lives
You sir are the 1% that "SuperBuickGuy" was talking about,(AND ONLY ONE WITH A NEGATIVE COMMENT) and the kind that I take care of everyday. You have a NICE Day also.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:26 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by wnmech
I know exactly what you are going thru with that phone call about a daughters first accident. About 2 years ago I had that same call from my daughter in her 2008 mustang GT. She got ran over by an 18 wheeler and got away with only minor cuts and bruises.
Whoa!! This is amazing. The Lord was watching over your daughter that day. Good to see she only made it out with a few scratches.

Do you mind me asking the story behind it?
Old 09-15-2012, 08:33 AM
Scratch
Team Owner

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'09

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Whoa!! This is amazing. The Lord was watching over your daughter that day. Good to see she only made it out with a few scratches.

I have a story
responded to a auto accident on the freeway here, semi ran over top of a 80's something Camaro. It was crushed, I figured fatality.
Highway Patrol asked if we would check out the driver? I said where? He said that guy standing there!
He only had a damaged ankle
Old 09-15-2012, 12:48 PM
wnmech
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray

She was headed to work one Sunday morning in March of 2010 going up IH35 north headed into downtown Dallas and there was a car in front of her that lost control on a slick bridge and she quickly slowed to a stop and the 18 wheeler came up with excessive speed and could not avoid hitting her. Believe it or not it barely damaged his truck and after the police investigation he continued his route to where ever he was headed. My daughter I guess in shock called me in a calm voice and said she was in an accident and her car was not driveable so I jumped in my truck and I could not believe that damage and her walking away from it.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:01 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dan-
Glad she is ok. My 75 year old mother sent me the below email just the other day and although it is a bit long it is a good read and appropriate to your post:

WORRY

Is there an imaginary cutoff period when
Offspring become accountable
For their own actions?
Is there some wonderful moment when
Parents can become detached spectators in
The lives of their children and shrug,
'It's Their life,' and feel nothing?

When I was in my twenties,
I stood in a hospital corridor
Waiting for doctors to put a few stitches
In my daughter's head and I asked,
'When do you stop worrying?'
The nurse said,
'When they get out of the accident stage..'
My Parents just smiled faintly
And said nothing.

When I was in my thirties,
I sat on a little chair in a classroom
And heard how one of my children
Talked incessantly, disrupted the class,
And was headed for a career
Making license plates.
As if to read my mind, a teacher said,
'Don't worry, they all go through this stage
And then you can sit back,
Relax and enjoy them.'
And said nothing.

When I was in my forties,
I spent a lifetime waiting
For the phone to ring,
The cars to come home,
The front door to open.
A friend said,
'They're trying to find themselves.
'Don't worry!
In a few years, they'll be adults.
'They'll be off on their own
They'll be out of your hair'
And said nothing.

By the time I was 50,
I was sick & tired of being vulnerable.
I was still worrying over my children,
But there was a new wrinkle..
Even though they were on their own
I continued to anguish over their failures,
Be tormented by their frustrations and
Absorbed in their disappointments..
And there was nothing I could do about it.
And said nothing.

My friends said that
When my kids got married
I could stop worrying
And lead my own life.
I wanted to believe that,
But I was haunted by my parent's warm smiles
And their occasional,
'You look pale. Are you all right' ?
'Call me the minute you get home'.
Are you depressed about something?'

My friends said that
When I became a grandparent
That I would get to enjoy
The happy little voices yelling
Grandma! Papa!
But now I find that I worry
Just as much about the little kids
As the big ones.
How can anyone cope
With all this Worry?

Can it be that parents are sentenced
To a lifetime of worry?
Is concern for one another
Handed down like a torch
To blaze the trail of human frailties
And the fears of the unknown?
Is concern a curse or is it
A virtue that elevates us
To the highest form of earthly creation?

Recently, one of my own children
Became quite irritable, saying to me,
'Where were you?
I've been calling for 3 days,
And no one answered
I was worried.'
I smiled a warm smile.
The torch has been passed.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:39 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Thats very good, Thanks....
Old 09-15-2012, 10:58 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I remember buying my daughter a used Saturn when she went to college, and so in front of her, I put my hand on the hood, and spoke to the car.....words to the effect of, 'Saturn, you have ONE job, get her through school SAFE and sound'.....it did......

Get notified of new replies

To My daughter was in her 1st accident today!

Old 09-16-2012, 07:37 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

No citations? Did you find out why? In Ohio you can sign a citation and bring him to court yourself. Supeona witnesses and the whole 9 yards.
Being in corrections stop by the court and see what you can do. It's been years since I've looked into Fl. law, but someone there at the court should be able to help. Unless your state insurance rules are different there.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:43 AM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Indiancreek
No citations? Did you find out why? In Ohio you can sign a citation and bring him to court yourself. Supeona witnesses and the whole 9 yards.
Being in corrections stop by the court and see what you can do. It's been years since I've looked into Fl. law, but someone there at the court should be able to help. Unless your state insurance rules are different there.
Fla, law - if two parties are involved in an auto accident, and the resulting damage is $1000.00 ( maybe 1500.00) or less, and no-one is hurt. They don't have to call for law enforcement. They can exchange info. and carry on. So with the damage done and year of the cars. That's probably why no-one was issued any. OR maybe he thought my daughter was at fault and was doing me some "professional courtesy" But that doesn't explain why the other guy came into her lane.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:51 AM
CoolShark
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteload
Just curious why you only show a Chevelle in your garage. Maybe you shouldn't "dis" Corvette guys who care about their daughters!

Last edited by CoolShark; 09-18-2012 at 01:04 AM.

Quick Reply: My daughter was in her 1st accident today!