Sponsored by:

Pro-touring Vettes

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 07:53 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Pro-touring Vettes

I've gotten quite a lot of inspiration for my car flipping though pages of car mags featuring pro touring muscle cars. So while the masses are turing straight line cars into canyon carvers, most Vette mods seem to be taking it the other way.

Take pride in the only American sports car, and share what you've done to make your ride a better all around performer/driver.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:54 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Well i consider mine protouring to a point.From the Ls6 motor the 700r4 trans,pro torque 2400 convertor,17x9.5 rims and nitto tires,vb&p suspension,speader bar vbp sway bars,autometer phantom guages,speedo tach etc...the car has plenty of power,great fuel mileage,tune it with a laptop,handles great.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/phot...hp/photo/93169
Not me in bottom picture its my uncle at carlisle this weekend.I think he enjoyed driving it there.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/phot...8/limit/recent

Last edited by PatsLs1vette; 08-30-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Looks good! Does the L88 hood hinder your vision at all?

Those headlights are really growing on me. Too bad they're so expensive. I wonder what round projector lights would look like in my Eckler scoops...
Old 08-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Pat....I would say that is pretty much pro touring lol
Old 08-29-2012, 10:30 PM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Take a trip over onto Pro-Touring.com if you havent already, theres a number of us over there with 'vette's. There's a wealth of knowledge for performance and handling improvements, maybe not all bolt on, but thats part of the fun!.
Nick
Old 08-29-2012, 10:34 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

This forum eats up so much of my time, I'm scared to join another
Old 08-29-2012, 10:43 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

VB&P performance Plus monoleaf suspension kit
SPC Adjustable upper control arms
Custom aluminum diff x-member bushings to raise diff
VB&P Spreader bar
Solid motor mounts
Custom built manual quick ratio rack & pinion system
285 tires front and rear on 18x9.5 wheels

Lots of lightweight parts and weight reduction
Manual stock brakes with 3" brake ducts, hawk hp plus pads and titanium thermal backing plates.

Motor is a nice 350 w/ a 4speed so thats not quite on par with every other LSx/T56 but it is quick enough for now until I have the $$ to do the swap.
More details in "my garage"

Old 08-30-2012, 02:30 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I often feel the same way, and just cringe everytime I see a new thread pop up on installing a live axle in a shark, but rest assured that there are a good number of us to whom drag strip ET's aren't the prime measure of performance. Thing is, I was pretty deeply involved in it myself back when, but it took exactly one day on a road course to open my eyes to what is in my opinion a larger world. That's not meant to step on anyone's toes, so please don't anyone take my saying so as an invitation to argue. I've done both drag and road racing professionally, and that's JMHO. Your mileage may vary.

And, NO rear bar.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:57 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PatsLs1vette
Well i consider mine protouring to a point.From the Ls6 motor the 700r4 trans,pro torque 2400 convertor,17x9.5 rims and nitto tires,vb&p suspension,autometer phantom guages,speedo tach etc...the car has plenty of power,great fuel mileage,tune it with a laptop,handles great.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/phot...hp/photo/93169
Not me in bottom picture its my uncle at carlisle this weekend.I think he enjoyed driving it there.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/phot...8/limit/recent
Pat, that looks really nice. Can you give details about the headlights?
Old 08-30-2012, 09:30 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

As far as the hood im short so its tough for me to see the right front anyway but i ran a 4 inch cowl hoid before so this one is lower. Headlights are fia, lemans setup fgregg and guldstrand sold them.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:32 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I've been wrestling with this myself for years, and have a hybrid now. It's got a 406 with about 540 horse,a 3000 stall with antiballoon plates,th400 full manual reverse VB, and 3.70 gears with MT 295 55 15 drag radials. Sounds like a drag car,.....but I started out with the canyon carver mindset......Got 550 lb front coils, 360 lb glass rear, 12 way QA-1 shocks all around, and big sway bars front and rear. Handles well,...and fast as begeezzus too!

Honestly the only issue I have with it is mileage....Gets about 11 mpg, so I only drive it once in a while now.

Got paint and new interior on the books as my next upgrade,...then maybe I'll do something about the gas mileage and start driving it more. When I had the 350 in it, I got 17 mpgs, and logged 130,000 miles on it.....Kind of miss it now that I think about it.

Last edited by The Money Pit; 08-30-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vette427-sbc
VB&P performance Plus monoleaf suspension kit
SPC Adjustable upper control arms
Custom aluminum diff x-member bushings to raise diff
VB&P Spreader bar
Solid motor mounts
Custom built manual quick ratio rack & pinion system

Lots of lightweight parts and weight reduction
Manual stock brakes with 3" brake ducts, hawk hp plus pads and titanium thermal backing plates.

Motor is a nice 350 w/ a 4speed so thats not quite on par with every other LSx/T56 but it is quick enough for now until I have the $$ to do the swap.
More details in "my garage"

Your car has been an inspiration everytime I see it pop up in a thread. Had me checking out Beemer wheels and Vitaloni mirrors. Went with AR wheels, but did find a set of those mirrors on ebay for $1. Any tips on mounting them?
Old 08-30-2012, 12:47 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Learning_Curve
Your car has been an inspiration everytime I see it pop up in a thread. Had me checking out Beemer wheels and Vitaloni mirrors. Went with AR wheels, but did find a set of those mirrors on ebay for $1. Any tips on mounting them?
Thanks!
I epoxied those plastic drywall screw inserts into the fiberglass. Its not rock solid, but it works. Also, mount them as far forward on the door as you can... my passenger mirror is useless and the driver one has a very small viewing area. They do look good though!
I think Lvrpool32 has a real set for sale too
Old 08-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Sam and Jess
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you tell me about your wheels? Do you have a thread you could point me to? I know they are BMW wheels, but were spacers or adapters involved, and if so, who made them? They look really good. BMW makes lots of great wheels, I am looking for something similar, but different. Thanks in advance. --Sam
Old 08-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 392 Likes on 238 Posts

I'm rounding third and heading home with LS2/T56 setup, suspenion was done last year. I hope to be driving in a few weeks. Will drive it for a year, get the bugs out and paint and tires to come next year.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:23 PM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks!
I epoxied those plastic drywall screw inserts into the fiberglass. Its not rock solid, but it works. Also, mount them as far forward on the door as you can... my passenger mirror is useless and the driver one has a very small viewing area. They do look good though!
Did you see that there may not be a RTTS 3 next year...due to the price of NJMP.

Nick
Old 08-30-2012, 03:03 PM
Curby
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by lvrpool32
Take a trip over onto Pro-Touring.com if you havent already, theres a number of us over there with 'vette's. There's a wealth of knowledge for performance and handling improvements, maybe not all bolt on, but thats part of the fun!.
Nick
Thanks, Nick!

I jsut registered over there.

Get notified of new replies

To Pro-touring Vettes

Old 08-30-2012, 04:35 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lvrpool32
Did you see that there may not be a RTTS 3 next year...due to the price of NJMP.

Nick
They said the same thing after the first year... I mentioned something about it on the ASCS Facebook and they said we will be there next year (2013). Who knows if there is any truth to that, but it has seemed like its a decent turnout even after this years lack of planning with the date. Even if they do cancel, Randy (pro-bell camaro) is attempting to set up a few NJMP days with the tristate area pro-touring guys. Im dying to get back on the track!
Old 08-30-2012, 05:14 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sam and Jess
Can you tell me about your wheels? Do you have a thread you could point me to? I know they are BMW wheels, but were spacers or adapters involved, and if so, who made them? They look really good. BMW makes lots of great wheels, I am looking for something similar, but different. Thanks in advance. --Sam
Thanks! Although the BMW bolt pattern is very close to corvette (5x120.6 is the vette VS 5x120 BMW) I had custom hub and lug centric adapters made. About 1" spacer front and rear on 9.5" wide wheels with 25mm offset will get you in the right spot. Due to minor body differences you might need more or less spacing. Motorsport Tech made mine... they were a little pricy but I asked for nice ARP studs which brought the cost up a bit
Old 08-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Thanks!
I bought the mirrors around Christmas. They were just listed as "sport mirrors", but no on had bid on them so I thought I would take a chance on $1. When they finally came, I was pleasantly surprised to see "Vitaloni" cast into the housing. I was thinking of using well nuts to attach 'em.

Quick Reply: Pro-touring Vettes