spoiler alert!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 07:27 PM
phat87
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist

Default spoiler alert!

I want to put a front and rear spoiler on my 78. I see there are 3 (three) piece front spoilers or 1 (one) piece front spoilers. Does anyone have an opinion on the pros and cons of 1 vs 3?

Are the any other ancillary pieces that need to accompany a spoiler installation to maintain correct airflow through the rad?

Thanks kids
Old 08-29-2012, 08:26 PM
boeing46
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phat87
I want to put a front and rear spoiler on my 78. I see there are 3 (three) piece front spoilers or 1 (one) piece front spoilers. Does anyone have an opinion on the pros and cons of 1 vs 3?

Are the any other ancillary pieces that need to accompany a spoiler installation to maintain correct airflow through the rad?

Thanks kids
We're going to need picks or a link as to what you're talking about. Typically other than factory are frowned on. If you're talking about a Super Bee type spoiler you're not going to get many likes.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:46 PM
78pace
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I do believe he is talking about the Indy PC spoilers. As I have seen them offered in 1 or 3 piece. I don't have any opinion as to eaze of install. Mine was factory. But others on here have added them and I am sure they will chime in............
Old 08-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have one,but want one and from my previous research it sounded like the 3 piece is the way to go
Old 08-30-2012, 01:23 AM
phat87
Pro

Default spoiled

Yes I am talking about the Pace Car type front and rear spoilers. The car is painted in the Pace Car silver and black c/w separation stripe.

Thanks for the input so far kids. All theories and opinions welcome.

Phatty
Old 08-30-2012, 03:51 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 719 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by phat87

I just picked up an NOS three piece at Carlisle for my 78 PC and have removed the original that was rather beat up. Do a search in the forum as others who invested in the one piece found some challenges with installation.

The three-piece incorporates a metal strip that tucks into a fold of the two corner pieces and it mounts to the body. I think you'll find that the three-piece has more mounting holes than a one-piece while the one-piece is probably easier to mount. A one-piece does not have this mounting feature which appears to provide a more secure mounting surface.

I had a conversation (electronic) with Wilcox (forum sponsor) about this topic and he has mounting instructions on his website. Do some research and I think it will lead you to a conclusion that you'll be satisfied with...one-piece is aftermarket while three-piece is an original configuration. I suspect you are more interested in function that originality.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:04 AM
81_vette!
Racer

I have the one-piece front spoiler and it fits really well, no issues. Was easy to install.

Also have the rear spoiler you speak of and it was a shocking delicious fit. I agonized over putting one on... did not like the way it looked from the side (like it was glued on) but man was I wrong. And I love the way it looks from inside the car. Looks awesome in the rear view! (Got mine from ZIP and the fits was absolutely spot on).

Old 08-30-2012, 10:09 AM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced the original 3 piece on my 79 (yes they offered it in 79) with a 3 piece unit years ago... Don't remember anything difficult about the installation..but like I said it has to have been 15 or 20 years ago

Bob G.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:35 AM
MAXCO
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like this thread...I'm was just wondering the same thing about the 1 vs 3 pc pace car spoilers....
Not to hi-jack the thread, but did anyone that installed a front spoiler notice a difference in coolant temps?
Old 08-30-2012, 11:45 AM
81_vette!
Racer

Originally Posted by MAXCO
did anyone that installed a front spoiler notice a difference in coolant temps?
I saw no difference.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:03 PM
phat87
Pro

Default thanks

Thanks Tom (hunt4cleanair & Maxco) those are indeed two issues I had in mind. Quality and affects on cooling.

I bought the cheap version of the air dam for my 91 vert. Boy I found out why one is half the price of the other QUALITY!

I think I will go for a three pc. It will make it easier to affect a repair if something gets hit or scraped up.

Thanks for input guys.

Phatty

Get notified of new replies

To spoiler alert!

Quick Reply: spoiler alert!