Suspension, Steering, and Braking Input

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 11:30 AM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension, Steering, and Braking Input

Hi Everyone,
I am doing a frame-off on the '69. I will be putting some sort of LS7/LS427 in it. I am picking up my T-56 Magnum kit at Carlisle. I am planning on working with SpeedDirect to do my suspension (Shark Bite) and possible my steering (Steeroids), and braking (C6Z06 kit). Can anyone chime in with pros or cons of these or any other kits. Flaming River, Wilwood, SSBC for starters?

For the suspension, if I don't adjust much, does single vs. double valving matter? We are looking at the "medium" spring rate due to the lighter engine. I want this to be more of a track car that can take any turn I throw at it with as little body roll as possible.

I know SpeedDirect is on the forum. I am just getting some other opinions.

-Adam
Old 07-31-2012, 04:37 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Offered as food for thought...

First thing you ought to do before spending a ton of money is to check for any rules your desired mods may break, or in what class (if applicable) those desired mods may land you. In any event, don't view any required safety equipment as something to be minimized.

Next, suggest you not rely on simply throwing a catalog (or several) at you car in expectation that will cover everything you ought to consider doing. There's a lot more to improving a chassis than just bolting on a few kits. For instance, as the C2/C3 chassis and suspension has some inherent issues, have you given much thought to chassis bracing and/or geometry mods (if allowed)?

Also, I'd suggest you toss out any preconceived notions you may have picked up on the street of how a car handles with any particular setup. What may feel awesome at even 7 or 8/10ths of a car's limits could well prove diabolical when pressing the same car to 10/10ths. Likewise, don't necessarily expect the hot AX setup to be optimal on a genuine road course either.

Finally, don't loose sight of the true objective while chasing any one particular issue, as you can take anything (including anti-roll stiffness) past the point of diminishing returns. Focus on what impresses the stopwatch, and you'll be plenty impressed with how your car handles corners. And, don't be surprised if you wind up collecting a number of redundant parts over time. That's just part of the process.

As to commenting on the specific bits about which you've inquired, I'll leave that to others. That said, it would be hard to overstate the importance of tire selection and the braking system, and if you're serious about tracking I'd urge you to get a set of high-quality adjustable shocks. In any event, I'm hoping some of the above makes sense and that it may ultimately help you make the right choices for your own objectives.

TSW
Old 07-31-2012, 05:19 PM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Thanks, Mr. Works. In college, my Aeronautical Engineering department was named after Lockheed Martin's division as well.

You are saying, like any engineering question, start with the question. What is my goal? I see what you're saying. It's better to build the car to the class than to build the car, then try to find a class.

I wasn't going to touch the actual frame other than restoring it, but you are saying it would help my handling, so I will look into it. I know my new A-Arms will help with this.

As far as going to far with anti-roll, I will not be starting off with a rear sway bar. I see it can actually get too stiff as you say.

I have already started collecting extra parts like you said.

Shark Bite has double adjustable shocks I am looking into.

Thanks for the help!

-Adam
Old 07-31-2012, 05:46 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

If you haven't already digested these, here's some suggested minumum reading...

Corvette (C3) Chassis section, Chevy Power book (dated, but still somewhat of a bible)
http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/ChevyPower.pdf

John Greenwood's VIP articles (tho tire and bushing technology has since advanced)
http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/vip.pdf

BTW, you might find the OT thread linked in my signature of interest.

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 07-31-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I will read these. I have to wait a few months for the lower aluminum control arms anyways as they are still in development.

As for the avatar, that is very cool. I was never allowed to drive my C3 so close to an airplane while in the service.

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension, Steering, and Braking Input

Quick Reply: Suspension, Steering, and Braking Input