Sponsored by:

Center A/C Vent

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 02:46 PM
brhulen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center A/C Vent

I ordered new center A/C vents for my 74 and after installing them they were still very loose. I did remember to install the little rubber washer in the middle. So to remedy this I removed them and laid about 1/16" of clear silicone on each pivot point in the housing, let it cure then reinstalled the vents. They are nice and firm now with no sag or rattle yet still pivot nicely. They are as good or better than new. Thought I'd pass on the tip.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:34 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 238 Posts

nice work !

Old 07-30-2012, 07:14 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Did you install the foam [or felt] seals at the top and bottom of the vent opening? Those side seals don't hold up for very long.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:49 AM
brhulen
Intermediate

Default Foam seals

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Did you install the foam [or felt] seals at the top and bottom of the vent opening? Those side seals don't hold up for very long.
Yes, I sure did!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:33 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

The felt strips normally would rub on the top and bottom of the vent deflectors and keep them from moving around. Do they not make contact with your deflector inserts?
Old 07-31-2012, 01:17 PM
brhulen
Intermediate

Default Felt Strips

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
The felt strips normally would rub on the top and bottom of the vent deflectors and keep them from moving around. Do they not make contact with your deflector inserts?
I would imagine they are probably worn down somewhat but when I first installed the vents I could clearly see some slack in the ends, hence the silicone beads. The silicone is not visible at all and really tightened things up nicely, similar to the vents in a modern day vehicle. They move easily yet stay put and that was my goal. Obviously the quick fix solution is not for everyone but I believe it'll work just fine. It's not quite a "Bubba" fix but I can live with it.

Get notified of new replies

To Center A/C Vent

Quick Reply: Center A/C Vent