C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's bought Eckler's Fiberglass Bumpers??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 08:14 AM
gbarmore
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Who's bought Eckler's Fiberglass Bumpers??

Looking for any feedback or experience with Eckler's fiberglass bumpers. I want to get rid of the wavy urethane bits on my '80 and the Eckler's are quite a bit less costly than others I have looked at. I have been told that they have a lot of Gel Coat and that they can crack easier than some of the others.

If you have any advice or feedback I would much appreciate it, looking to pull the trigger on this this weekend.

Thanks!!
Greg
Old 07-28-2012, 08:40 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I have E bumpers on both ends of my car. I don't know how relatively thick the gel coat is or how easy it will crack. I do know it takes quite a bit of work to get it fit up to the front of the surround and fenders. The rear bumper fit better, but still needed quite a bit of fitting. I had already decided to mold in the seams, good thing, it would not have fit well and left a good looking seam. Other than that, it looks really nice
Old 07-28-2012, 10:58 AM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
I have E bumpers on both ends of my car. I don't know how relatively thick the gel coat is or how easy it will crack. I do know it takes quite a bit of work to get it fit up to the front of the surround and fenders. The rear bumper fit better, but still needed quite a bit of fitting. I had already decided to mold in the seams, good thing, it would not have fit well and left a good looking seam. Other than that, it looks really nice

I waited until they had a 20% sale and then pulled the trigger... Wihtout molding it in, would've have had a terrible gap on 1-side... Can only speak to the front though...

By the time I was finished molding and sanding, there was not much left of the gel coat...

Rogman
Old 07-28-2012, 12:12 PM
flaco1801
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the Ecklers rear bumper for my 74 (split bumper) about 20 years ago..the fit was perfect...but that was a long time ago...cant vouch for nowadays....
Old 07-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Mod75
Le Mans Master

Received 570 Likes on 286 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I bought a 75 ft bumper 30 years ago, but never installed it till two years ago.

When we went to install it the corners where off, 1 side 1/4 inch, other 1/8
Spent two weeks getting it straightened out .
I admit it sat for 30 years, my fault, but the corners where still off
Old 07-29-2012, 05:20 AM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I'm installing a Eckler's '80 bumper on my '76, did first fitting test tonight and it's almost perfect.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:51 AM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure if you've heard about the TruFlex bumpers. They install like the urethane bumpers, but the hold their shape and won't go wavy after a few years. When I purchased my '80 three years ago I was pleased to see that my front and rear bumpers were not distorted. I suspected that they were newer urethane bumpers from a previous repair. But when I took the body apart I was surprised and very happy to discover that they were TruFlex bumpers.

Just another option to consider...
Old 07-30-2012, 08:33 AM
wnmech
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I originally bought a Toledo pro front cover for my 77 and had lots of problems with it. I then purchased Ecklers flex fit bumper covers and great fit and great quality.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:21 AM
gbarmore
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good feedback gusy, that really helps. Since I am glassing them in i'm not too worried about the fit, but it sure would be easier if they just lined up, wouldn't it?! I will wait until a deal comes along at Eckler's.

Much appreciated!
Old 07-31-2012, 12:50 PM
jesse10886
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have ecklers rear fiberglass on mine and the front is from J&D corvette. My rear fit like a dream was put in place snugged my bolts then adjusted and tightened it was very easy. The front was a $&!@h I fought with it for ever to get it right really horrible. Eventually I had to shave down the passenger side even if I was gonna mold it b/c it was too wide. I suggest a true flex on the front weather your molding in or not it will save you allot of time an work.

Original front flaking and falling apart

New one Before it was completely tightened an we realized we had to sand it down

Last edited by jesse10886; 07-31-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Who's bought Eckler's Fiberglass Bumpers??

Quick Reply: Who's bought Eckler's Fiberglass Bumpers??