Radiator Support Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 09:26 AM
BEJ
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Radiator Support Question

Just as a bit of background, I have a 75 coupe, with Auto. Engine, transmission and radiator are all out. I'm now ready to begin putting it all back together and have a question.

I seem to recall reading a thread where it was suggested that installing the radiator and shroud back in the car is significantly easier if the support is removed and then assembled with the radiator and shroud and then installed as one unit. Seems to make sense, especially considering how difficult getting the radiator and shroud out were in the first place.

Alternatively, I also recall reading that the radiator support provides some structural integrity up front and shouldn't be removed.

So my question then is, which is it? Additionally, if the support removal method is ok, are there any tricks that would not be openly apparent?

I appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 07-27-2012, 09:58 AM
ShootCraps
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced the radiator in my 75. Assemble the radiator and the support out of the car. Don't attach the shroud, put it in place over the fan. Install the support and radiator. Then bolt the shroud to the assembly. The biggest PITA is getting that lower radiator hose connected.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:28 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by BEJ
...which is it?...
Both. The radiator support is a major structural component of the front clip. Also true that installing the support and the radiator as a unit can simplify things. My advice is not to remove a factory installed support if not absolutely, 100% necessary.

... Additionally, if the support removal method is ok, are there any tricks that would not be openly apparent?...
If you remove the support, make an exact count of any shims removed and their locations. They need to be reinstalled in the same places when the time comes.

With the support out of the car, do not put any excess weight on the clip.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:41 PM
BEJ
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Both. The radiator support is a major structural component of the front clip. Also true that installing the support and the radiator as a unit can simplify things. My advice is not to remove a factory installed support if not absolutely, 100% necessary.

If you remove the support, make an exact count of any shims removed and their locations. They need to be reinstalled in the same places when the time comes.

With the support out of the car, do not put any excess weight on the clip.

That's what I suspected. I will just leave it in. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:12 AM
ShootCraps
Racer

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Both. The radiator support is a major structural component of the front clip. With the support out of the car, do not put any excess weight on the clip.

I don't understand this. How can the radiator support be so critical to the front clip? At that spot, the front clip is sitting on the frame and is also supported by the bumper and air tube.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:22 AM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 428 Likes on 323 Posts

The front clip does not sit on the frame. Mike is right, it is the major structural component for the front end. The bumper attachments are just securing the position of the clip, not really supporting it's weight.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:03 AM
ShootCraps
Racer

The radiator support sits in between the fenders held together with 6 bolts. How is this supporting the weight of the entire front clip more than the frame, bumper or air tube?
Old 07-29-2012, 04:51 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

The radiator support sits on top of the frame's front crossmember and shims under it control the height of the front clip.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:42 PM
paragonspirit
Advanced

Anyone who thinks the Radiator support is a critical component to support the front end of the car can PM me for pictures...

If you believe what I pulled out did anything...then I have a bridge to sell you. When I bought the car (30,000 miles and 10+ years ago) I looked at the core support and thought it was about due for replacement, but not yet, need more money.

It was nearly as bad new to me as it is now and did not completely connect the two sides of the car.

Also, I pulled it out in 2010 and then life happened and the car didn't get finished, the front end isn't sagging or falling off.

Today's project? finally installing the new Core Support.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:07 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by loup68
The radiator support sits on top of the frame's front crossmember and shims under it control the height of the front clip.
The rad support is nowhere near the frame xmember in fact it's in front of the frame horns.
The bottom of it bolts to the bottom of the vacuum tank.
A rod goes from the center of the headlite header to the bottom of the rad support. That's it.

I have taken them off unsupported with no problems.
If you're uncomfortable, support it.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:34 PM
ShootCraps
Racer

You must be thinking of something else. Noonie is right. The radiator support is attached to the bottom of the air horn. The bumper, frame and air horn appear to be supporting the front clip.

I haven't found any information that supports this theory. I did find plenty of threads where the radiator support was removed and/or replaced and none of them reported the front clip falling off or the fenders collapsing in.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:47 AM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Okay guys, I have a 68. On a 68-72 vette the radiator support is sitting on the front crossmember. I am not familiar with a rubber bumper set-up. I assumed that they were similar. However, if the support bolts to the vacuum tank/front bumper support, how is that not helping hold the front clip? By the way, I have changed my radiator a few times and never had to remove or loosen the support. Use two pieces of cardboard to protect it.
The company I worked for in maintenance for 34 years, made all of the vette radiator supports.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:53 AM
ShootCraps
Racer

Okay guys, I have a 68. On a 68-72 vette the radiator support is sitting on the front crossmember. I am not familiar with a rubber bumper set-up. I assumed that they were similar. However, if the support bolts to the vacuum tank/front bumper support, how is that not helping hold the front clip? By the way, I have changed my radiator a few times and never had to remove or loosen the support. Use two pieces of cardboard to protect it.
The company I worked for in maintenance for 34 years, made all of the vette radiator supports.
Ahh, perhaps this is where the confusion is coming from. Sounds like it was changed somewhere along the line. In the early C3s the radiator support may provide some structural support to the front clip. But in the 75 (and who knows what other years) it is providing little, if any support to the front clip. It certainly doesn't appear to be a "major structural component of the front clip" as you and Mike are saying.

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator Support Question

Quick Reply: Radiator Support Question