C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Long Is Yours ? Speedo Cable..

Old 10-05-2013, 08:47 PM
WhyFly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How Long Is Yours ? Speedo Cable..

Sorry for the cheap attention grabber. Couldn't resist.. I just had a 700r4 installed in my 79. It wasn't a cheap mod and when I went to pick up my car, the guy tells me that my speedometer cable is now about 1" short. I haven't got in there yet to look, but I'm wondering if this sounds right to all you peeps that have done the TH350 to 700r4 conversion. Did you all have to get new cables made up? He tells me that the local Mr.Speedometer can do it for about $50.00 so I'm guessing it will be closer to $100.00. Does anyone know how long their cable is and how it's routed up from the tranny? There is no cruise control, it's directly to the spedo off the transmission. If you've had one made, do you have to supply the connector from the back of the old one or do they use a new one to make up the new longer cable? He didn't mention this little added expence when he agreed to do the install, Nor did he tell me he was going to have to butcher my exhaust. I've read several posts on this but don't recall anyone saying that they needed a new custom cable made. As always, I appreciate your knowledge and insight and any replies you take time to post.. Back out to the garage for me. Thanks Folks..
Old 10-06-2013, 01:54 AM
WhyFly
Instructor

Originally Posted by WhyFly
Sorry for the cheap attention grabber. Couldn't resist.. I just had a 700r4 installed in my 79. It wasn't a cheap mod and when I went to pick up my car, the guy tells me that my speedometer cable is now about 1" short. I haven't got in there yet to look, but I'm wondering if this sounds right to all you peeps that have done the TH350 to 700r4 conversion. Did you all have to get new cables made up? He tells me that the local Mr.Speedometer can do it for about $50.00 so I'm guessing it will be closer to $100.00. Does anyone know how long their cable is and how it's routed up from the tranny? There is no cruise control, it's directly to the spedo off the transmission. If you've had one made, do you have to supply the connector from the back of the old one or do they use a new one to make up the new longer cable? He didn't mention this little added expence when he agreed to do the install, Nor did he tell me he was going to have to butcher my exhaust. I've read several posts on this but don't recall anyone saying that they needed a new custom cable made. As always, I appreciate your knowledge and insight and any replies you take time to post.. Back out to the garage for me. Thanks Folks..
Apologies Folks..Bump..Anybody:?
Old 10-06-2013, 07:24 PM
BLDun
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Haven't done the tranny change - although I'd like to. Do you know how long your present cable is? If you go to any auto parts store and tell them you want a cable for a '76 - no cruise - they will have one that is 100" long which should be more than adequate. In fact, it was too long for my '76 to I took it back and got one for a later model that was '62 inches long. I think the 100" one was only $12 or $13 at Advance Auto
Old 10-07-2013, 03:59 PM
WhyFly
Instructor

Appreciate the reply..Thanks for that..

Get notified of new replies

To How Long Is Yours ? Speedo Cable..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How Long Is Yours ? Speedo Cable..