Sponsored by:

Power window problem in '79

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 04:48 PM
leah4185
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window problem in '79

The power windows have been working fine, except for the motors being a little weak due to age. Yesterday I went to lunch and when I started the car back up to go, the driver side window wouldn't work. It was just all of a sudden. I'm thinking it's an electrical issue rather than the window motor itself because when I hit the switch I don't hear anything happening. I had another sudden electrical issue last winter when the headlights wouldn't turn on after I came out of the store. It's summer and I MUST get that window down if I'm to drive it anytime soon. What's up with this and how to I fix it??? Thanks all!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:25 PM
demoke
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, this happened in my 80. I started with replacing the power window switches- no luck. After then replacing the power window motor, still not working, I finally solved the problem. A broken wire in the door jam. I spliced it together and have had no problems since.
Hope this helps. Rs
Old 07-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Bills17n72
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 525 Likes on 367 Posts

well if you do need a motor then I have one for $35!!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:59 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 201 Posts

Does the other window still work?

My car used to have an issue with the power window relay coming loose, it's grounded through the mounting tab.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:30 PM
leah4185
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the other window is still working just fine. Maybe you're right. The wiring maybe came loose when I shut the door. I've never taken the panel off of the door and gotten in there before, but the guy I got it from has. He converted the power locks to manual. It may be a while before i can poke around and see what's up. Say, has anyone converted the power windows to manual?
Old 07-13-2012, 07:04 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

This just happened to me the other day in my 82. I ended up removing the the door panel and it was a loose window plug that plugs into the motor. I ended up crimping down on the termial to make it tight and lubed it with electrical grease. Good to go. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Power window problem in '79

Quick Reply: Power window problem in '79