Sponsored by:

Rubber Bumper Vettes: 74 to 77

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 01:20 PM
EDDlE VETTER
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubber Bumper Vettes: 74 to 77

I'm starting to zero in on what I prefer in the C3 class. The very early ones with the chrome bumpers are real nice, but if they're in good shape they are pretty much out of my price range. The later C3's with the bubble window are sweet too, and I wouldn't mind owning one. But I've come to the conclusion its the middle of the pack, rubber bumper with the flat back window, that I desire.

I read the following in another thread:
"I like all corvette's. Some more then others. To me there is no ONE best vette. Each one of us has an idea of what a corvette should be in our dreams. We each build or buy a vette to closely match that dream."

Very well put and right on the money. But I'd like to ask you guys, is there a particular model year from 74 to 77 that you feel has a slight edge? Or let me ask in a different way, if you were shopping for a rubber bumper C3 with the sugar scoop back window, which model year would you be looking for, and why?
Old 06-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

....I've had an '80, a '75, three '68s(still have one) and a '74. I'll probably get flamed for this, but to me you can't beat a non A/C, crank window '73/'74 coupe or roadster. I love simplicity and it seems almost every A/C C3 you come across the A/C doesn't work or "needs charged". It needs charged because there is a leak in the system. For guys that have good operating A/C in their C3s great, but what did it take to get it there? Seems as with power window cars they need repair too at some point or another.

...the simple non A/C, non power window cars are simpler and cheaper to own. My '80 & '75 I was ALWAYS working on those or so it seems.

...a '73/'74 with true dual exhaust, no converter, no A/C, points ignition, no electric tach, no collapsing rubber bladder gas tank('75-'77), no power windows is a great way to go.

...sorry for the rant-just love to drive 'em more than working on 'em!!!
Old 06-24-2012, 02:02 PM
Boog
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a '74, didn't care for the split rear bumper, but love the clean front bumper. Available big block, true dual exhaust - no cats, still available in convertable as is the '75.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:14 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

I've had a dozen Corvettes over the years and bought another `73 last Fall because it had been my favorite C3 design with the smooth nose and chrome tail- I like the unique look.

Over the years, we've had another `73 back in the day as well as a 74 coupe, 75 two top air roadster and a `78 Anniversary. the novelty of the roadster was cool, but I liked the addiitonal storage of the anniversary for road trips. Our Corvette club does a lot of weekend trips and the 73 is probably going to be sold for that reason alone although it's otherwise a wonderful car.

77 seems to be the better of the flat window C3s to my thinking with the L82 engine and more refinements.

Good luck-
Old 06-24-2012, 04:16 PM
m and t's77
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

'77 with the revised interior.But i'm biased.
Oh and points and condenser compared to a HEI system,really?
Old 06-24-2012, 04:16 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by Paul Borowski
....I've had an '80, a '75, three '68s(still have one) and a '74. I'll probably get flamed for this, but to me you can't beat a non A/C, crank window '73/'74 coupe or roadster. I love simplicity and it seems almost every A/C C3 you come across the A/C doesn't work or "needs charged". It needs charged because there is a leak in the system. For guys that have good operating A/C in their C3s great, but what did it take to get it there? Seems as with power window cars they need repair too at some point or another.

...the simple non A/C, non power window cars are simpler and cheaper to own. My '80 & '75 I was ALWAYS working on those or so it seems.

...a '73/'74 with true dual exhaust, no converter, no A/C, points ignition, no electric tach, no collapsing rubber bladder gas tank('75-'77), no power windows is a great way to go.

...sorry for the rant-just love to drive 'em more than working on 'em!!!
I personally like the split bumper on the '74. These vettes are dirt cheap because of their rubber bumpers and low HP outputs. But, for the most part, they maintain that classic interior, and you can fix that HP problem. I really don't feel a difference sitting behind my '75 vs. my '69 (except when I touch the gas pedal).

By the way, my A/C doesn't work on my '69, but my power windws do!
Old 06-24-2012, 08:46 PM
Triumph8750
Heel & Toe

I've always loved the rubber bumper and sugar scoop look. Each year has its advantages and disadvantages but in the end they are all pretty similar.

My personal favorite is the 74. True dual exhaust, clean front, and split back bumper. 75 is the last C3 convertible but the stock horsepower numbers are pretty low, but that is easily fixed. Production started to ramp up in 76 and subsequently prices can be a bit lower but you do have to deal with the vega steering wheel. Production was also high in 77 with an upgraded interior and sport mirrors available if that is your kind of thing.

I also looked at a lot of 78s and 79s. The silver anniversary model is a
sharp looking car and there were a lot of them made. The 79 also has much nicer seats in addition to the extra storage room.

If you like the rubber bumpers than there are definitely good cars out there for under 10k. Is there a particular color combo or option that you are looking for?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:54 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

I like my 76, but with the new fiberglass bumpers installed!
Old 06-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by LeMans Pete
I personally like the split bumper on the '74. These vettes are dirt cheap because of their rubber bumpers and low HP outputs. But, for the most part, they maintain that classic interior, and you can fix that HP problem. I really don't feel a difference sitting behind my '75 vs. my '69 (except when I touch the gas pedal).

By the way, my A/C doesn't work on my '69, but my power windws do!
The Split bumper on the 74 is one of my FAVORITE parts of the first year of the rear rubber bumper. I Loved my 74 and, again as stated earlier 74 is the Last year of the BB and the last year before the Horrible "smog" problems and the dreaded catalytic converters
Old 06-24-2012, 09:44 PM
scf100
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alwyn678
The Split bumper on the 74 is one of my FAVORITE parts of the first year of the rear rubber bumper. I Loved my 74 and, again as stated earlier 74 is the Last year of the BB and the last year before the Horrible "smog" problems and the dreaded catalytic converters
what he said.................
Old 06-24-2012, 11:21 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

I like the 74 to 77 rubber bumper cars also. They still have that classic look of the short back window and they are very affordable. I am currently making a 77 roller I found into a very simple and fun driver. After removing all of the mess you see in the 1st pic, I went and put the motor in last week.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:43 PM
EDDlE VETTER
Advanced

I find it kind of strange that the BB seems to be one of the options you guys like about the 74. I'll admit I'm new to the C3 and vettes in general. So pardon me for asking, but I though a SB chevy was the most desirable and easily hot-rodded engine of all time. Wouldn't an L82 engine be better than a BB?

I'm not looking to go cruising at super high speed but I would like some oomph out of the hole. In which case an L82 engine with headers, true dual exhaust mated to 4-speed would be the ticket, no?

Last edited by EDDlE VETTER; 06-24-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:24 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Got a nice deal on the engine several years ago. It happen to be a BB. Been looking around for a decent body to put it in. I dont race, just having some fun with it. Nothing wrong with the small block though.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:59 AM
79L48
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EDDlE VETTER
I find it kind of strange that the BB seems to be one of the options you guys like about the 74. I'll admit I'm new to the C3 and vettes in general. So pardon me for asking, but I though a SB chevy was the most desirable and easily hot-rodded engine of all time. Wouldn't an L82 engine be better than a BB?

I'm not looking to go cruising at super high speed but I would like some oomph out of the hole. In which case an L82 engine with headers, true dual exhaust mated to 4-speed would be the ticket, no?

I agree with you personally, but I think many more people would consider a big block to be their grail car. I have never driven one, so perhaps I would change my mind,but I like the lighter weight and room to work on the SBC setup.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:02 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Yes the BB would be nice but GM severly detuned it over the years. If you got one then get the performance numbers back up to the early 7os.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:20 AM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

I've owned several C2's and many C3. But, the car I've ended up keeping the longest (nearly 25years) is the 74 BB . I happen to be a fan of & enjoy/appreciate the low power LS4-5 cars. 71-74. Plenty of seat of pants the low end torque, but yet very subdued and unstressed ride . The Low power 454's go about their business very well . Low compression / LS series are nearly industructable and reliable for everyday street use . Mine has the original points distributor , and I haven't changed the points in 6 years. The 454 will give you that oomph out of the hole without alot of fanfair. For me , the 74 454 is a correct amount of luxury , comfort , power and styling all rolled into one. Even god himself , "ZORA " drove a 454 coupe as his daily driver., its just a fun car without alot of headaches. Never had a overheating issue with mine , but everypiece of original cooling seal /ect is still on the car. Very overlooked car for the money, and not many were made (OIL CRISIS + emmissions killed them). Down side is mainly the 10-12mpg , BTW...the 74 454 runs fantasic on 87 octane cheapo gasoline , but heck its a toy and a FUN one . , and 4 spd 454's command a bit more money , as they are somewhat rare. Even the 454 autos have good power out of the hole. Both have a top speed few would dare explore. The small blocks are GREAT fun if you like to drive hard and keep em wound tight , then a LT1 might be your car. On the other hand... If you like a classic body style, relaxed cruizing & effortless feel of power ...go BB

Check out some of the vintage Car N Driver /Road &TRK, ect tests on the low compression LS5 & LS4 series 454's ...they actually performed very well for era they were born in.. , all the while dragging around Auto trannies and AC and every other option they were often burdened with . LoL ...

Last edited by LS4 PILOT; 06-25-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:45 AM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Wouldn't an L82 engine be better than a BB?

The oomph off the line your looking for is the amount of torque an engine can produce at a given rpm, not horsepower.

!974 454 b/b LS4
Torque @ 2800rpm = 380lbs

1974 350 s/b L82
Torque @ 4000rpm = 285lbs

More torque at a lower rpm = off the line grunt.

My pick would be a 74 b/b convertible....good luck with your search.

Get notified of new replies

To Rubber Bumper Vettes: 74 to 77

Old 06-25-2012, 09:03 AM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by gq82
The oomph off the line your looking for is the amount of torque an engine can produce at a given rpm, not horsepower.

My pick would be a 74 b/b convertible....good luck with your search.

, but prefer the roof lines of a coupe that are lost on a vert.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:17 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...is there a particular model year from 74 to 77 that you feel has a slight edge?...
What we might like is a moot point: we aren't buying, you are. When sale time comes, you should be purchasing the car you want.

If I was looking, I'd be looking for another 74 to replace the one I had. But that's me, not you.

Good luck with the hunt.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:36 PM
81_vette!
Racer

The 77 is a very affordable car if you care to fix it up a wee bit. Lots of them seem to be available. Easy to work on, upgrade and customize.

I, too, love the flat back glass.

Quick Reply: Rubber Bumper Vettes: 74 to 77