Sponsored by:

Rubber Bumper Vettes: 74 to 77

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 03:13 PM
EDDlE VETTER
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
What we might like is a moot point: we aren't buying, you are. When sale time comes, you should be purchasing the car you want.

Well maybe I just haven't looked at enough of them yet. Because I don't really see much of a difference between them. Other than the split rear bumper, they look to be very similar. That's why I came here, to ask you guys which model year from 74 to 77 is your favorite and why. I know I need to form my own opinion but it sure helps reading other folks comments on why they like a certain model year, because it maybe something I didn't consider or overlooked. I may not necessarily agree but it would be helpful to know.

That's the case here, these model years appear to be very close, brothers, if you will. So is there a small detail or option that say a 76 has over the 75 or 74? Is there something about the 77 that sets it apart from the the earlier rubber bumper C3's, other than the Stingray signification?

I know verts were only available in 74 and 75 and I now know the 74 was the last year of the BB. That's all good to know, but it would really help nail down which year(s) I'd prefer if I knew all the minute differences from 74 to 77.

I appreciate y'all chiming in. I know I need to research this on my own as much as possible. But yes, it does help when I read why you bought the model year you have, and what it is you like about it compared to the other rubber bumper C3's there are to choose from.

Last edited by EDDlE VETTER; 06-25-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:21 PM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

'74 was the last year of true dual exhaust without catalytic converters. That's big in my book.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:29 PM
EDDlE VETTER
Advanced

True, but one could quite easily remove the cats and have true dual exhaust installed, correct?
Old 06-25-2012, 03:31 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by EDDlE VETTER
True, but one could quite easily remove the cats and have true dual exhaust installed, correct?
True- unless you have to contend with emisions and licensing.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:31 PM
jam23059
Instructor

Here is a point to consider, and I may get a lot of negatives from this but here goes. I have a '74. If you took a '72, '73, & '74 and put them side by side, the only difference is the bumpers, egg crate gills on the '72 as well as wiper door.
Other than that they are the same car. GM changed the way they rate horsepower for the '72 model year so they are all basically the same engine wise. The difference between the '72 LT1 and L82 of '73 and '74 is only 5hp less, 255 vs. 250, and this was probably just due to switching to cast iron intake and Quadrajet.
And if you think about it, was the horespower physically dropped between '70, '71 and '72? It was all on paper right? so was there an actual change? If not then isn't a '73 and '74 not the same as a chrome bumper other than cosmetics?
'75 and up there were definite horse power drops due to more emissions, catalytic converters, etc...
Again I know I may have stirred up a hornets nest or I can be totally off base.

Last edited by jam23059; 06-26-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:01 AM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

'77. Last year for the flat back window and they still have the "old school" interiors. Yes the console was updated, but they still have the old style seats and dash with the 160mph speedo etc. They also have a longer steering column which makes them more comfortable to drive IMO.

Have fun looking!
Adam
Old 06-26-2012, 09:28 AM
moondoggy200
Advanced

This is so cool I have never seen anything like this post, I love it, I am brand new to corvette world and have watched for years the fine style and lines of the Stingray c3.as a teenager I said someday I will own one of these beauties its like a two seater rocket with all the American car classic history behind it.the 1974 is my favorite here in Ca. I enjoy the smog free status and the small 350 she runs on reg, unleaded fuel, just another happy old guy""" Moondoggy OUTTTTTT.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:40 PM
den(thevetteman)78
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really like my '78 for the new interior and the space behind the seats from the bubble glass. But if i had to buy another it would be a '73 for the chrome /rubber bumper combo. I really like the look it has.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:15 PM
dochorsepower
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

A lot of comments about smog equipment on the '75 thru '77. Really! How many of these still have the original smog equipment?
Old 06-26-2012, 04:16 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by dochorsepower
A lot of comments about smog equipment on the '75 thru '77. Really! How many of these still have the original smog equipment?
Smog equipment was on every C3 as far as I know. Its the catalytic converters that started in '75 that sapped HP and "true" duals. And while you do not have to pass emissions for 25 years or older in most states, you are typically required to have the correct equipment mounted. Whether you find a workaround or not, you know with a '74 or earlier you do not have to worry about the cats.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:40 PM
EddyCat
2nd Gear

Default Tough one but . . . .1976

Okay, I'm bias. Just getting that out of the way right off the bat.

But . . .

I really like my '76. WITH (get this) the L48 engine.

"What? Are you insane?"

No, I'm not crazy. Hear me out.

The 76 was the last year of the name "Stingray" and as such the last year with the cool stingwray emblems on the side. (Very important)

The 1976 did have the horid catalytic converter - but, the early 1976E non-california L48 version did not have an A.I.R. (smog) pump. Go figure. As the other posts have noted, the low HP of the L48 can always be fixed and not having a A.I.R pump is a huge plus.

The 1976 had the stainless steal floor panels to keep the passenger compartment from heating from the exhaust. Power windows, AC and a tilt steering wheel were common options. It was also the only year (I believe) that the Buckskin interior was available.

And - you know what? I even like my Vega steering wheel! It's unique and gives the car a nice back story.

Next up, I would take the '77 where many of the above options were standard. 1978 was the start of the bubble rear window - and I'm just not a huge fan of that change.

Oh, but the most important thing . . .

C3s kick butt.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:31 PM
EDDlE VETTER
Advanced

Originally Posted by den(thevetteman)78
I really like my '78 for the new interior and the space behind the seats from the bubble glass. But if i had to buy another it would be a '73 for the chrome /rubber bumper combo. I really like the look it has.
Yeah I guess the 73 could be included in this group since it does have a front rubber bumper. The post quoted below even includes the 72 in this mix.

Originally Posted by jam23059
I have a '74. If you took a '72, '73, & '74 and put them side by side, the only difference is the bumpers, egg crate gills on the '72 as well as wiper door. Other than that they are the same car.
That's a interesting perspective. The posts in this thread has some really good information, exactly what I was after. I'd really like to hear more about the differences between the 76 and 77, as well. Like I had asked earlier:

these model years appear to be very close, brothers, if you will. So is there a small detail or option that say a 76 has over the 75 or 74? Is there something about the 77 that sets it apart from the the earlier rubber bumper C3's, other than the Stingray signification?
Old 06-26-2012, 06:17 PM
EddyCat
2nd Gear

Default Notes and Such

[That's a interesting perspective. The posts in this thread has some really good information, exactly what I was after. I'd really like to hear more about the differences between the 76 and 77, as well. Like I had asked earlier:[/QUOTE]

This is all from memory, so forgive me folks if I make an error (feel free to correct me)

76:
Greatest year of Vette ever (biased)
Last year of the name "stingray" (Not really a big deal. All the C3s are Stingrays)
Vega Super Sport Steering Wheel (hard to find one of these wheels now.)
First year of Steel Floors (Fiberglass in previous years
AC, tilt wheel, power brakes, steering, windows, were options, but not standard (I think this is correct)
Early 1976 model did not have an overhead dome light.
Early 1976 model had a different rear bumper emblem than late 76 and 77's (Just had to buy one. $73 GM Reproduction part.)
Only year of Buckskin interior
Chrome old-stile side mirrors

77:
Last year of the tunnel back/flat rear window
"normal" 3 spoke wheel
Power everything became standard
I believe this was 1st year of cruise control. (I may be wrong on this.)
Higher HP than 1976 if I remember correct. Much better than the 75's
1977 had the larger painted side mirrors
A number of minor tweaks.

All in all, the two years are very, very close. I'm partial to my 76 for a few minor, silly things, but all-in-all they are both great years. (As are all C3s)
Old 06-26-2012, 07:03 PM
mold99
Intermediate

I was looking for a BB, 4 spd. no air, the chrome bumpers were more than i chose to spend unless they were money pits. i picked the 74 as the cleanest of the non-chrome models due to the lack of bumperettes. for a reasonable price i got my big block, under 50k miles, an excellent interior and exterior on a vette that i could drive now. a bonus was the TT2 polished 17 inch wheels, a one owner car with virtually all original docs, and a mild build on the motor that gives the performance of earlier years. these non-chrome models give the same experience as the more expensive earlier ones.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:35 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

In my opinion, the year you should buy is the one you can afford and is in the best condition for the money. You will be much happier with a better car that doesn't have some minor little feature than you will be if you buy a car in worse condition that has all the features you think are desirable. By the way, I have a '74 and a '76 that are both in very good condition for the money I paid and I'd have a hard time picking the one I like more. OK, I guess it's the '74 but only because the engine has been built.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:50 PM
EDDlE VETTER
Advanced

Yeah thats a very good point. The other thing though is rather than buy one that's in good condition but not exactly what you want, is to wait until the one that has mostly everything you want comes up for sale, is in good condition, and then pounce. In other words, patience. That's the one thing I've come to learn, be patient.

I could be wrong but from reading the replies it doesn't seem like the 75 is getting much love.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:51 PM
iokepakai
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

As an owner of a 76:[IMG][/IMG]
Which I really love a lot! I would have liked to have a 74 BB! Reasons would be the clean bumpers and the car would be more of a collectable.I would keep it as original as possible.Would like to see that 454 badge on the hood for everyone to see! When I was shopping for a Vette in 2005 the economy was booming and prices were high.I settled for my 76 which was affordable and I didn't care if I upgraded the car with goodies.So far I did a top end change with aluminum heads and solid cam.Installed a 6spd Richmond trans from the TH350 auto.Have no intentions of selling the car and hope to upgrade to coilovers and new paint.I like the rubber bumper cars and the old school slotted wheels which are unique to those year Vettes.

Get notified of new replies

To Rubber Bumper Vettes: 74 to 77

Old 06-26-2012, 10:56 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

I could be wrong but from reading the replies it doesn't seem like the 75 is getting much love.
Here's love for a '75: you can get a convertible. Can't get that in '76 or '77. Other than that, there's nothing special. 1975-77 are all cheap corvettes, can be had for a couple grand in working condition, and for 10-15 grand in great condition.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:08 PM
randyredleg
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Borowski
....I've had an '80, a '75, three '68s(still have one) and a '74. I'll probably get flamed for this, but to me you can't beat a non A/C, crank window '73/'74 coupe or roadster. I love simplicity and it seems almost every A/C C3 you come across the A/C doesn't work or "needs charged". It needs charged because there is a leak in the system. For guys that have good operating A/C in their C3s great, but what did it take to get it there? Seems as with power window cars they need repair too at some point or another.

...the simple non A/C, non power window cars are simpler and cheaper to own. My '80 & '75 I was ALWAYS working on those or so it seems.

...a '73/'74 with true dual exhaust, no converter, no A/C, points ignition, no electric tach, no collapsing rubber bladder gas tank('75-'77), no power windows is a great way to go.

...sorry for the rant-just love to drive 'em more than working on 'em!!!
I love the lines of the 80-82, but I agree about the desirability of the basic cars without AC,power locks,etc. I prefer the interiors of the earlier C-3s, especially the consoles.The carpet up the sides of the consoles on the later cars looks cheap.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:47 AM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

You are right about the 77 being a first year for cruise control, but try to find the cable that is used on a 77 only, I did since I put a 77 cruise control on my 76, worked good until the cable went south. Now have a 80 cruise on it.
As for the 76 not having a vert , you can make your 76 into a vert, takes a lot of time & money & parts, but looks cool.

Quick Reply: Rubber Bumper Vettes: 74 to 77