Sponsored by:

How Did You Find Your C3?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:44 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

In the order I purchased them,
1986 - I was driving down the street and saw it with a for sale sign for $5000. Bought it that day.

1973- I went to a local auto sales to look at a 1975, but passed on it because it needed to much work. I saw the 73 in the corner, and when I saw the 454 on the hood, and he told me it was the original engine, I took all the cash in my wallet and put it as a HOLD, or down payment until I could get to the bank on Monday. He accepted my $43.00 to hold the vette for me. Nice bonus...my 73 454 vette VIN number ends with......454. NICE.

1972 - I found this on Craigslist. It was one of the best deals I have found. Fresh paint, all original, semi matching numbers- drive train is good, some accessories replaced - alternator, starter, etc.

1975- I drove 3 hours to go look at a 1974 that I found on craigslist. I wanted a 1974 because I would then have a Corvette Flush- 72, 73,74
(2 chrome bumpers, 1 chrome and 1 fiberglass, 2 fiberglass bumpers- I know their not fiberglass but you know what I mean.) The car had recently been painted- with a roller and a handbrush. The interior had mold, and you had to disconnect the horn because it blew all the time. And this was an "EXCELLENT DRIVER" car. I passed on this. But on the way home I found my blue 1975 L-82 fully optioned car- only 5 miles from my house. I bought it that day since I had the money on me from looking at the other car.

kdf
Old 06-23-2012, 09:00 PM
brhulen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a different one for you, my (our) 74 coupe came with my new wife! :>)
Old 06-23-2012, 09:15 PM
exposingtime
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by brhulen
Here's a different one for you, my (our) 74 coupe came with my new wife! :>)
Was it a dowry from her family?

Gary
Old 06-23-2012, 09:40 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

We weren`t actually looking for a car. We already had a garage full, and are still building a couple of them. (See signature line)
My wife is an avid gardener, and she trades plants with several people. One of her traders e-mailed her some pictures of his neighbor`s car. (The neighbor doesn`t have a computer, so the plant guy listed it on ebay for him.)
My wife was very excited about the pictures. A Corvette was something we`d always dreamed about, but never thought we`d have.
We have built classic cars for the entire 30 years we`ve been together, but with a bunch of kids, we always needed a back seat. Now the kids are getting older, and a sports car would fit in GREAT with our retirement plan.
So we were just going to go LOOK at it. Just look. We looked. We told him we had no business taking on another project, and we already had 2 other cars in progress. We`d think about it.
We talked it over on the way home. As soon as we got home, we called him, and said we`d be out on the weekend to pick it up!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:14 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

I found mine on here!!

I was studying abroad in Italy at the time of the discovery. I called the owner through the Internet, set up an inspection, and had my brother look it over.

I changed my flight itinerary to land in KS instead of IN. I looked it over myself then drove it home to Indiana....8 hours.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I went down to the dealership and ordered it.....a few weeks later it was in .......

......then {almost}

...........today

Last edited by Ironcross; 06-23-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:28 PM
lowes-yellow77
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default looked for 9 months

i looked high and low but i knew what i wanted and what i didnt want,i know i wanted a flat back window and no paint issues, mechanical was ok, since i know a good amount ie engine building, R&R is easy so i think i went through 6 of them 1st had sat for years didnt wanna deal with it 2nd was a 4 speed but needed bumbers and front clip work 3rd was a 78 and just couldnt find myself to like it 4th the guy was a lil looney 5th was a black one i was test driving when my buddy called and said there was a corvette sitting along highway looked good and was for sale,

i swung by called the number and he said tomorrow, so i met him and he is well known in the town for corvettes i live in, i drove it and it didnt have a flaw i could find , it was his more or less daily corvette had alot of new stuff just in boxes sitting in front seat i made a offer and drove it away, been loving it eversince

Last edited by lowes-yellow77; 06-23-2012 at 10:28 PM. Reason: wrong picture
Old 06-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Doug Kraft
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Was stationed in Germany in 76 and with my tour almost over I was walking into the PX car dealers area to buy a camaro. There was a corvette sitting outside the door with a $6500 price tag on it. Asked the salesman what was wrong with it that it was so cheap and he said nothing was wrong, that is what they all went for. He figured out with me what I wanted and where I wanted to pick it up. 30 days later when I rotated back to the states I went to the dealer and picked it up. Total for everything (destination and dealer prep) alittle under $7000. I've had it ever since.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:51 PM
LAddams
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found mine right here on the forum! Always wanted a mid 70s vette. Was doing research when i saw one here that had been taken apart and halfway back together. Knowing how I am if I had bought one it was only a matter of time till it was apart so might as well buy it that way!
Old 06-24-2012, 12:02 AM
fastback79
Racer

Friend had a guy that owed some money.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...74020927_n.jpg
Old 06-24-2012, 12:31 AM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Found it on craigs list. The guy needed $$ and I needed a complete pile of crap to work on so it worked out for both of us.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:46 AM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought a '72 Coupe in 1979 through Trading Post, sold it a few years later, bought a '71 vert from a former teacher and coach in '84.Still have it.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:49 AM
hdoggie24
Heel & Toe

I actually went on craigslist to buy a microwave and when I went into the guys garage....guess what was sitting there. Bought the microwave, then he asked if there was anything else I was looking for? I sarcastically said I will buy your vette..... luckily for me the guy was moving and selling most of his stuff. No motor, trans, interior....easy enough a week later I brought home a 72... Always wanted one so consider this fate???? Guess what the wife saw on a trailer??
Old 06-24-2012, 10:13 AM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a Steelers fan living south of Cleveland and when the Steelers' game isn't on TV I go to a sports bar to watch it. On opening day of 2005 when I pulled into the parking lot of the sports bar there was a red '76 sitting in the parking lot with a "FOR SALE" sign. After the game it was still there so I looked it over and it was in really nice shape and had 42000 miles. The guy was selling it to help pay for college for his daughter. The day I picked it up he told me that his wife told him not to sell it. He almost had tears in his eyes as he handed me the title and the keys.

Since I've owned it the only repairs I have done is to rebuild the carburator and replace the fuel pump. Both of those were last summer.

I found my '74 on Craigs List.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:26 AM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

There are some very nice late model C3s on Autotrader and also look at forum dealers, sometimes they get some great cars in as trades on new vettes. Often times paying more is a bargain because of what you would have to spend to get a lesser car up to the better condition.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:50 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Found mine front row, center stage under the bare light bulbs of a Chevy dealer's used car lot 40 years ago. But I doubt many folks trade in their C3's to the dealer these days.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:33 PM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I was floating in the pool watching a Miami Dolphins game in October 2009 and my wife asked if I wanted to buy her sister's corvette? I said, yeah sure why not but why do you want me to buy it. She explained a medical condition was forcing her sister to receive 24/7 care in a home so she had to liquidate her assets for medicare coverage and with my last name being different it could stay in the family. Off to Selma, Al. we went thanksgiving week and I used a U-Haul trailer behind my Avalanche to bring it back to south Florida and the nightmare began but now it's a completely different car and one my wife truly enjoys.

Get notified of new replies

To How Did You Find Your C3?

Old 06-24-2012, 01:09 PM
bkvette3
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by palmbeachvette76
I was floating in the pool watching a Miami Dolphins game in October 2009 and my wife asked if I wanted to buy her sister's corvette? I said, yeah sure why not but why do you want me to buy it. She explained a medical condition was forcing her sister to receive 24/7 care in a home so she had to liquidate her assets for medicare coverage and with my last name being different it could stay in the family. Off to Selma, Al. we went thanksgiving week and I used a U-Haul trailer behind my Avalanche to bring it back to south Florida and the nightmare began but now it's a completely different car and one my wife truly enjoys.

WOW - beautiful transformation
Old 06-24-2012, 01:13 PM
DAVID SLUDER
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought mine off an Ebay add that I was watching and it sold, out of curosity I called the guy 2 weeks later to see if the deal went through, he said the buyer never came through with the money, so I drove up to Indiana to check it out, bought it and trailered it home, here is a pic the day I bought it
Old 06-24-2012, 01:16 PM
DAVID SLUDER
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Here it is 8 months later and loving every minute with it

Quick Reply: How Did You Find Your C3?