Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:07 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Default Tire Shine Comparison

Hello guys,

I now people like comparisons of products so my first attempt is a comparison of tire shine products. Please do not kill me, but the comparison was done on my Mustang rather than my Corvette. I am sorry, but the Mustang is more accessible at school.

I didn't want to spend time trying paste links in from photobucket to get the article on the site. So I uploaded it to my google docs. There are two links below, one for the comparison as a word document and one as a PDF.

The comparison will seem long, but it is only because there are a lot of images for the comparison.

The PDF lowers the resolution of the images on the document. I don't know why, it just does. However, it is viewable online without downloading it.
The Word document will give an error to view but will give you the option to download the document. This will give you the document as I intended it to be viewed. And what I recommend doing.

(PDF Version) https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9a...WRCc19sZTFjR0U
(Word Document Download) https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9a...EJreXVETXZuR3c

Enjoy.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:18 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,714 Likes on 2,272 Posts

If, from your description, more tire shine is better...I have no interest in seeing the results. I like my 'rubber' to look like 'new rubber'.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If, from your description, more tire shine is better...I have no interest in seeing the results. I like my 'rubber' to look like 'new rubber'.

What do you use for that new tire look? Lots of products out there that makes the tire look wet and sprays all over the car. I want a nice clean black finish. Thanks
Old 06-07-2012, 11:25 PM
myoriginal77
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Lupigiato73
What do you use for that new tire look? Lots of products out there that makes the tire look wet and sprays all over the car. I want a nice clean black finish. Thanks
www.303products.com

Specifically;

http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...protectant.cfm

Hope that helps,

Frank

Last edited by myoriginal77; 06-07-2012 at 11:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-07-2012, 11:26 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

I wash the tire and lettering with Westley's Bleach-Wite first; let dry; then wip the outside of the tire down with a cloth soaked with Nu-Vinyl. It is a polymer coating that will work well on vinyl/plastic/leather/rubber. I use it on my interior, hoses and belts in the engine compartment, and tires. Greatest single "appearance" product I've ever found. I think Meguiar's has a polymer coating product for plastics that is very similar.

It dries clear, won't yellow, won't peel. It seals the pores on the rubber so that the tire will resist picking up [and holding] dirt. And they stay looking good for several weeks. You can rinse off a tire that has been previously coated and put on additional coatings with no problem. It provides the closest look to 'new rubber' that I've ever found. And, it won't break down the rubber...or make the lettering turn brown...like Armor-All . Google 'Nu-Vinyl' if you are interested. And, no, I don't own stock or part of the company...just a VERY satisfied customer.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:48 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I use Meguiar's Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner....it gives a natural look to my tires.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:10 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
The end of the report might be of some use to you. It shows what the tires look like after a week of the products sitting on the tires and then washing them off.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:26 AM
enroberts
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Surf City Garage Beyond Black Tire Spray Pro. It's the best stuff I've EVER used. I get it at Walmart and prefer the Aerosol type. It can also be used for black numbers and vinyl tops. No shine, just looks brand new!

http://www.surfcitygarage.com/shop/b...black-tire-pro
Old 06-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Trae1976
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So how did you get the Meguiar's gel to stay put on the tire?

I generally don't care for the high gloss on my tires, but I tried it recently when my car was being used as an attention-getter at our club's show. I had one of their sample pouches and applied it with a sponge applicator, just like your document describes.

Later that day (8 or 9 hours later), we did a spirited 100-mile cruise. When I got home, I noticed the gel had migrated down both sides of the car. Obviously, that's the last time I'll use it.

I've been using Eagle One Tire Shine (not the gel) with a sponge applicator for several years, and I think I'll stick with it.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Trae1976
Drifting

Originally Posted by enroberts
I use Surf City Garage Beyond Black Tire Spray Pro. It's the best stuff I've EVER used. I get it at Walmart and prefer the Aerosol type. It can also be used for black numbers and vinyl tops. No shine, just looks brand new!

http://www.surfcitygarage.com/shop/b...black-tire-pro
Unfortunately, I haven't found any retailers selling SCG products around here.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:48 AM
U17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the same thing I use on all the surfaces on my car... Lemon Pledge.... At a display a NASCAR display car was there... He said thats also what they use on their tires... So I now use it on my tires...
Old 06-08-2012, 10:18 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by U17
I use the same thing I use on all the surfaces on my car... Lemon Pledge....
I doubt lemon pledge is adding any kind of protection to your tires. NASCAR may use it, but their wheels only last a few hours. Your tires are in for the long haul.

Originally Posted by Trae1976
So how did you get the Meguiar's gel to stay put on the tire?
I don't know how to instruct you. I would image it has to do with amount of product you applied to the tires. I applied little and spread it around the tire.

All I can say is that I don't get sling when I drive. Maybe exposing the product to the sun for 8-9 hours right after applying it broke it down some and lowered the viscosity level. It didn't have time to "cure".

I am sorry I can't be more helpful. I am just thinking out loud.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:24 AM
U17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What kind of protection would my tires need ??? NASCAR display cars never see a track ... The question was about shine, not protection...
Old 06-08-2012, 10:39 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by U17
What kind of protection would my tires need ??? NASCAR display cars never see a track ... The question was about shine, not protection...
You are correct. The title is about a shine, but the two leading products also offer UV protection from the sun. Help prevent cracking and drying out of your tires.

If the NASCAR display tires are never outside or only for a very short time to display a car during an event, then I assume one would something that is more designed for tires that are actually driven on a regular basis. Shine and protection while driving, not just to make a tire look good when it sits still.

If my assumption is off, I am apologize for the counter argument.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Why do I want shiny tires? gq's Goodyear looks pretty much perfect to me.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Trae1976
Drifting

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
I don't know how to instruct you. I would image it has to do with amount of product you applied to the tires. I applied little and spread it around the tire.
Sorry, I have to disagree with you on this one. I used about 3/4 of one of their sample pouches, like the ones they donate for car show goody bags. I have 27" tires and 16" wheels, certainly not "low profile", so I had plenty of surface area to cover. I spread it out pretty thin to get full coverage, just like I do with other products.

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Maybe exposing the product to the sun for 8-9 hours right after applying it broke it down some and lowered the viscosity level. It didn't have time to "cure".
An automotive product that may not be designed for sun exposure? Really?
And if that was the case, wouldn't that have just caused any excess to run off before I drove it anyway?

I will say this ... it did look good after I washed the car again. But unfortunately, it was also the reason I washed the car again.

I've used other Meguiar's products with good results, so this one was a disappointment. I'm glad it works for you, but it won't touch my car again.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:26 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

The Nu-Vinyl doesn't rinse off, stops UV damage, and lasts for weeks. I've used this stuff for many years on cars, boats (seats that get sun all day long), etc.

Good luck with whatever you choose to use.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Shine Comparison

Old 06-08-2012, 01:02 PM
enroberts
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trae1976
Unfortunately, I haven't found any retailers selling SCG products around here.
That stinks. I use all their stuff religiously. I used to use Adams, but when I compared them side by side, SCG just plain out performed Adams and costs so much less. I know it can be ordered on Amazon. If my local Walmart and Pep Boys stopped carrying them, I'd order it all online. It's really amazing stuff. Their detailer sprays are top notch!
Old 06-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Trae1976
Drifting

Originally Posted by enroberts
That stinks. I use all their stuff religiously. I used to use Adams, but when I compared them side by side, SCG just plain out performed Adams and costs so much less. I know it can be ordered on Amazon. If my local Walmart and Pep Boys stopped carrying them, I'd order it all online. It's really amazing stuff. Their detailer sprays are top notch!
Yeh, I've heard good things about their products, and I've had the chance to try a few of them. I think I still have a bottle of their Nano Glaze on the shelf.

But convenience is definitely a factor. Our local Adam's seller is actually a member of our club, and we take care of each other. I would likely use some of both if getting SCG was that simple.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,251 Likes on 969 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default More comparisons...

I tried Meguiar's Natural Shine and it has a little shine.
Just pump spray it on and your done.

This is with Armor All Extreme Tire Shine, it's very shiny.
It leaves bubbles when it's first applied and takes over night for the bubbles to disappear.

My car is shiny white and the shiny tires look good to me!

Quick Reply: Tire Shine Comparison