78 hood stuck... need further help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 09:35 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by KapsSA
Good catch, didn't noticed that

edit....just did a 'test' on mine. With that tab unbolted from the bracket the pass side will not release!
Fix the broken cable then make any adjustments that may be needed from having the hood off.
Push the hood down by hand and listen/feel for any scraping or binding. Adjust the things on the hood if need be.
I did mine one side at a time. I snapped one latch closed and then worked/adjusted the other side. Then did the opposite side.

In the mean time, snap the pass side latch closed so you don't have to mess with it again.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:52 PM
gregmuzila
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright sounds good. ill get parts on order probably monday.

as for adjusting the things on the hood (stikers), my driver side has 2 shims behind it, but my passenger side has no shims (but rust in the shape of a shim, so there use to be shims there before). guess i will figure it out after the cable is in.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:32 AM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 486 Likes on 354 Posts

Here is a pic of my 78. Is your cable broken or is it just the bracket that holds the cable in place to the body? You might be able to just go to Lowes or a lawn mower place and buy the bracket to hold the cable horizontal. That might do it and you could be driving today.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:19 AM
gregmuzila
Racer

Originally Posted by karol
Here is a pic of my 78. Is your cable broken or is it just the bracket that holds the cable in place to the body? You might be able to just go to Lowes or a lawn mower place and buy the bracket to hold the cable horizontal. That might do it and you could be driving today.

okay so I need a new cable and a new clip to tie it down a bit better

Last edited by gregmuzila; 06-03-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:23 PM
gregmuzila
Racer

so i was a dummy and put it all together and over-tightened the black clamp and it snapped when i went to test it.

Looks like i can order just the clamp, although it seemed like the clamps were connected into the black wiring around the silver cord wiring??

http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...oducts_id=1467

or i might just grab these from Auto zone and hope one of these fit although I don't know how thick the silver wiring is vs the black plastic part that it would need to have a smaller diameter of.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=296806_0_0_

Last edited by gregmuzila; 06-07-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply: 78 hood stuck... need further help.