Sponsored by:

fit question - 72 removable rear window

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,082 Posts

Default fit question - 72 removable rear window

I've been working on the removable window (new glass, weather strip etc, see previous posts) and have a question fo someone who has one.

Where the dogs fit into the lower guides/plates how far does it sit down?
Does the "T" plate on the dogs (where it screws to the window frame) sit down and touch the plastic alignment guides on the body or should it sit up a bit?

I replaced the weatherstrip and the two upper clamps are all the way back on their adjustment and are VERY tight to close (uncomfortably tight) The new weatherstrip is pretty stiff (old stuff was flattened out and hard)

I started looking at everything and the only thing I see that might be off is that the window is sitting up off the plastic guides a little less than 1/8"

Really not sure if that will affect the clamps but it raised it's own question.

Thanks
Mooser
Old 06-02-2012, 11:14 AM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

I wish someone would write up an article about this addition of a removable rear window, especially since I am about to do the same. With LOTS of pictures and a material list.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:34 AM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by lvmyvt76
I wish someone would write up an article about this addition of a removable rear window, especially since I am about to do the same. With LOTS of pictures and a material list.
Do a search. It's been discussed numerous times over the last 6 years.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:39 AM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Mooser

Where the dogs fit into the lower guides/plates how far does it sit down?
Does the "T" plate on the dogs (where it screws to the window frame) sit down and touch the plastic alignment guides on the body or should it sit up a bit?

I replaced the weatherstrip and the two upper clamps are all the way back on their adjustment and are VERY tight to close (uncomfortably tight)

Thanks
Mooser
The T plates on my '71 do rest on the guides. The weatherstrip should only contact the back of the window frame. Make sure the new weatherstrip is not getting stuck under the bottom edge of the frame. My upper clamps are also tight. I can close them but my wife cannot unless she sits on the door sill to get better leverage.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,082 Posts

Originally Posted by xCCTer
The T plates on my '71 do rest on the guides. The weatherstrip should only contact the back of the window frame. Make sure the new weatherstrip is not getting stuck under the
I took it all back apart and actually put the old guides back in (thought the ones I made might be off somehow), same result.
The weatherstrip isn't underneath (slide a feeler all the way along)
Just seems that the bottom of the strip is holding the dogs from being able to go all the way down before it binds up.

I'm going to modify the old guides a little and see if that lets it drop down. Might just have to install it and leave it in for a while for the strip to get squashed some

Thanks for the info
Mooser

Get notified of new replies

To fit question - 72 removable rear window

Quick Reply: fit question - 72 removable rear window