Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MikeKey's 1980 Corvette L82 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 06:35 PM
MikeKey
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I left it in last time since I was in a hurry. I didn't have the luxury of a garage. And Florida, which should be self explanatory.

Got the motor out this afternoon. Thinking of getting a power washer to clean the heck out of the engine bay and under side.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:55 AM
MikeKey
Racer

So, yesterday I managed to get the engine out and the transmission. Clean up shop and set it on the engine stand. Today after work, I'll probably start breaking down the engine.

Hoping to score and find a 4-bolt, but not holding my breath here. The casting info I found says this block came in both varieties. It's not the original motor though.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Dega500
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats and thanks for the thread Mike. I picked up my first Vette yesterday, an 80 model, and haven't even had a chance to post about it yet.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:21 PM
MikeKey
Racer

Originally Posted by Dega500
Congrats and thanks for the thread Mike. I picked up my first Vette yesterday, an 80 model, and haven't even had a chance to post about it yet.
Thanks!

I broke down the block this evening. It turned out to be a two bolt main block.

Outside of the carbon build up on the pistons, the block appears visually in excellent condition. If there are no cracks, I'd say it'd be reusable.

Next thing I'm going to do is power wash the grim out of the engine bay so I can start removing parts to sand blast.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:46 PM
MikeKey
Racer

Now that the engine is dismantled, I started hammering out what I want to do to the car.

For starters, I plan on pulling most of all the wiring in the engine bay back to the firewall and going thru it. A lot of "bubba" splices have been found here and there. Also planning on ditching the vacum setup on the head lamps and going electric. And of course painting the engine bay.

And of course, one thing has lead to another. I started reading threads and now I am thinking of removing my frame from the vehicle.

Then one thing lead to another and I started to disassembling the interior.... Awhile back I laid down some dynamat thru the rear of the car, but I never got finished. So it's something I plan to finish this time around, along with doing the firewall. And re-installing the carpet correctly.

As far as the front suspension goes, so far on the list is the VBanP front monospring, I'm considering attempting to fab up my own tubular A arms, and I'm considering attempting to do the steering rack conversion on my own. Read a couple very detailed threads on the whole process using the Pontiac Grand Am rack.

Anyways the more I put on the list, the more it sounds like my project is growing and growing.

Also, I've been a fan of the Corbeau A4 seats and plan on getting a pair when I finish things up. So on that note, I'm wondering what my current seats might be worth something or not.

Last edited by MikeKey; 05-16-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:00 PM
MikeKey
Racer

Well the project is turning into a full on frame off minor restoration. Overall the car is in great shape, so I don't think there is a lot of serious work that needs to be done, but there are some things I want to do.

Anyways, got the doors pulled off today. And most of the interior stripped out.

I'm going to remove the dash shortly and go ahead and order the straps from Corvette Central to lift the car off the frame. Considering powder coating the frame. At this point, lets' just face it. I'm in for the long haul on my project here.

Luckily there isn't a lot that is in a larger state of disrepair. At lot of it is just going to be detail work. One of things I'm going to do is go thru the Chevy Power book and do all the welds on the frame and probably get it powder coated afterwards.

But before I get to any of that, I'll need to get the body off the frame and build a dolly to support the body, so that's the project for this coming week.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:15 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Keep the seats and all parts from the car. Even though you intend to keep the car forever it is always good to have all original parts to the car. Good luck with the restore. mike...
Old 05-19-2013, 08:58 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Yeah..thats not an L82....those are dished pistons.

Good Luck!
Old 05-19-2013, 10:05 PM
MikeKey
Racer

Originally Posted by DucatiDon
Yeah..thats not an L82....those are dished pistons.

Good Luck!
I've known that for awhile, thanks. I mentioned earlier the engine doesn't match. The vin however does. Although it will never be a true L82 agian.

I bought this car from a individual who I suspect was quickly flipping the car. We had 3 others and was mostly full of BS. My working theory is he bought someone else's unassembled project C3. The car had new carpet, perfect seats, new dash cap, lots of shiny parts, but when looked at closely it was thrown together hastily. Like someone was in a hurry to get rid of it.

But after looking at about 20 C3's over a 5 month period this was the first one with no major issues that would require repair. I wanted to tinker and drive. A year later it's now a project as my desires have changed.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:35 AM
tyancey00
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

i would say be careful. This project is starting to be one of those "While i am at it" deals and that will lead to it not getting done. I would not pull it off the frame., just lift it up and replace the body mounts and drop it back down. That way you dont have to un hook everything!! Then put it back together and get the motor built and replace the interior. Fereo Seats make a good interior upgrade.
when that baby comes your garadge time is over!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:51 AM
MikeKey
Racer

LOL. It will get done, and when I did the rear-end I por-15'd part of the frame. Would like to do the whole thing. Part of my suspension and brake upgrade will involve new brake lines, along with new fuel lines. I could prop up the body and do one side at a time, but everything is for the most part, already disconnected. Although, I'm not trying to finish the project by Dec anymore. Changed my mind there. Goal is Spring 2014.

Not a fan of the Fereo seats personally.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 PM
MikeKey
Racer

First, I have no affiliation with these products. With that being said, I have to highly recommend the Blackfire Wet Diamond and the Blackfire Midnight Sun.

I first detailed my Corvette with these two products last July(I think, can't remember). Since then I think I washed her once or twice before I moved. I used to not have a garage and she was stored under a cover outside. (EKK) After moving in Oct, I started my restoration project, in which my Corvette has been getting dirty greasy finger prints and dust all over it.

Today, I decided to detail the newest member of my family with the Blackfire products, our 09 G8 GXP that we purchased on Friday.

While I was at it, I took a minute to give a quick try of the Midnight Sun Instant Detailer on the Corvette, and WOW.

The thing cleaned right up and looks like I just waxed it yesterday!

Pretty impressive considering this car hasn't been cleaned since I forget when.

Quick Reply: MikeKey's 1980 Corvette L82 Build Thread