Sponsored by:

shift console question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 11:03 AM
SonnyLynnVick75
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift console question

I am putting my my interior back together and started to notice a problem with the lower dash pads and the shift console. Are the seams from the dash pads supposed to match up with the seams on the shifter console or are they supposed to be to the side. they look like they should match up but it seems to have a ton of tension on it when I try to push it forwards to mount to the shift console brace. any help?
Old 05-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

For appearance purposes, the seams should be reasonably close. Just the same, the RH inner corner on my 68 was always about 1/4" off. Driver's side was perfect.

I learned to live with it.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
The 'seam' in the dash pads and shifter console should line up in cars after some point in 68 because...
A small 'tab' was added to the front corners of the console that fit into a small 'slot' in the inner corners of the dash pads. These tabs hold the seams in alignment.
You can JUST see 1 sticking out (it's tiny) on the left corner of the console in this picture.
Regards,
Alan

Old 05-29-2012, 03:08 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 610 Likes on 404 Posts

I have a '69, but I believe the 68's are similar. Everything should match up close. When I installed all new interior pads in mine, I used a heat gun to gently shape each pad in place. With patience, you can make exact match-ups. There is one interior pic in "my garage" that somewhat shows this.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:54 PM
jetjockey
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi,
The 'seam' in the dash pads and shifter console should line up in cars after some point in 68 because...
A small 'tab' was added to the front corners of the console that fit into a small 'slot' in the inner corners of the dash pads. These tabs hold the seams in alignment.
You can JUST see 1 sticking out (it's tiny) on the left corner of the console in this picture.
Regards,
Alan

Hi Alan!!

How certain are you on the date of the added tab on the forward console?
I recently replaced the original (Oct 1969) part because of the structural problems it had. I looked at it just a minute ago, thinking I was a dummy for not seeing those tabs. No tabs or broken structure there that might indicate it had tabs at one time. Maybe it was later in 1969 instead of 1968??

Dan
Old 05-29-2012, 06:22 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Don,
You're right!
I should have said that the consoles started without the tab, and then sometime before January of 71 the tab and slot appeared.
I really don't know when the transition was.
My words were a bit misleading.
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-29-2012, 07:35 PM
jetjockey
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Don,
You're right!
I should have said that the consoles started without the tab, and then sometime before January of 71 the tab and slot appeared.
I really don't know when the transition was.
My words were a bit misleading.
Regards,
Alan
No sweat. I was worried I was getting hosed not having some neat tabs to make my dash pads fit right!!

Dan

Get notified of new replies

To shift console question

Quick Reply: shift console question