Sponsored by:

Whats the Story behind your C3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 09:17 PM
JagNorb
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NotreDameFan
Growing up in northern Indiana, my father used to beat 2 things into my head every day: 1. You'll inherit my 1976 Corvette when I die. 2. You WILL play QB for the University of Notre Dame.

Turns out...neither one happened for me. I didnt have the grades or athletic skill to play for Notre Dame. And my dad sold his Corvette when I enlisted in the military because of money issues.

When I learned that he sold his vette, I was beyond upset for him. He loved that car so much. He got hurt on the job and was forced to retire early(52 years old) and needed the money. Some random guy showed up at his house when he was waxing it under a tree and offered him some cash for it. My dad reluctantly accepted, and the Vette was gone.

After my dad passed, I took a little leave from the military to track down this car. I hired a Private Investigator, gave him what little info I had about the car, and off he went to search for it.

I got a call about a month later stating that he had done all he could do and didnt have any good news for me. It seemed the car was gone forever. This all took place about 2 years ago.

LAST WEEK I get a call from some random dude stating that he had my dads old car! He told me that he drove to a 7-11 and my uncle was filling up next to him and said "Hey! That car looks like my brother's old car! Who did you buy that from?!" The dude responds with my dad's name and how he came about purchasing it. My uncle gave the dude my number and I got a call.

I still cant believe it. He's agreed to sell it to me for the same price that my dad sold it to him a few years back. I leave for Indiana on April 2nd to go pick it up. I'm BEYOND stoked about this. I have so many plans for this car. Best part is that my wife is behind this purchase 100%. When she learned that he had contacted me, she had a reaction that I dont think most wives would have. She responded with, "I dont care if you have to empty our savings account and checking account...you GO and buy that car. I dont care about the cost and I dont care about the condition. You're budget is unlimited to get this car back to the condition that your dad had it in. This is your inheritance and you absolutely deserve it."

I'm still blown away by how this has all happened. I cannot wait to get this thing up and running properly. HUGE plans for this car! Step 1: I HAVE to find headers and sidepipes that wont interfere with anything else under the chassis. From what I've read, this seems difficult to come by.

Thank you guys for reading. I look forward to talking with you guys more as I really start to dig into this forum. LIFE LONG MEMBER HERE! GO IRISH!!!

Noah
U.S Air Force (Retired)
Combat veteran of both the Iraq and Afghanistan wars
Convoy Gunner and IED counter Intelligence
Helluva great story! Enjoy the Vette and thank you for your service to our country.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:17 PM
JagNorb
Pro

Default How I found my first Vette

I am a 61 year old red-blooded American male, retired US Marine and I have been in love with Corvettes ever since I was a kid. I ALWAYS WANTED A VETTE!

I have had a couple old cars in the past few years: a 1951 Pontiac Chieftain which was a great sleeper with a hopped up SBC motor, and a 1952 half ton Chevy pickup street rod which I still own.

BUT... I never had a Vette and I really wanted one. I decided I was too fat and started participating a Biggest Loser Challenge at work in mid January and by the middle of March, I was down 25 lbs and feeling youthful! I had been telling my wife "When I lost this weight, I'm gonna get a Vette." Which she obviously didn't believe. In mid February she left for a 3 week overseas vacation overseas to see her family. I knew this was my chance to find and buy the Vette. I would use the old adage, 'it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission'.

I had been scanning Craigslist forever and this 82 dark blue Vette was still listed and had been there forever. I decided to email the seller, who said it was still for sale and I looked at it the next next day. The paint was beautiful and it had 52,000 miles on it. I brought the Corvette expert from my car club with me the next day to show me the key things to look for, like the bird cage inspection. He said the seller wanted way too much and the car had the cross fire fuel injection as well as needing a new interior. I waited a few days while I checked out a '76 and a '74 which really didn't ring my bell like the blue one did. After a week the seller of the blue Vette called and asked if I was still interested in his car, and I told him against my friend's advice I still wanted to buy his car, but he would need to come down a few thousand. He was insulted and said "no way, I'll give it to my grandkids! I am not budging on my price." I waited till that evening and told me if he would meet me halfway between what he was asking and what I offered, we could have a deal and he refused.

I went back to Craigslist where I saw this ad for an unmolested '79 Corvette with less than 22,000 documented miles. This couldn't be true, could it? How could a 35 year old car have only 22,000 miles. This must be an odometer roll back or replacement, it can't be real!

After reading the ad for the 4th time in 2 days I decided that I might as well go ahead and request to see it. The seller emailed me back the next morning. He was located about 75 miles away and wanted to talk on the phone before giving me the location.

I called and he said he would drive 25 miles closer and meet me and that he was prepared to show me proof of the mileage. Well it was a beautiful day so I headed his way. I really wasn't sure what I would see, but what the heck, I got nothing better to do and I can handle myself with my H&K is always close at hand if things get a little rough.

There, in Citra, Florida, I met Ivan and his red Corvette, 'Stella'. I checked out the body and it was in very good condition except for a spot about the size of a half dollar on the left front where brake fluid had removed the paint. Ivan told me he did that when I was bleeding the brakes. He had replaced the brakes and starter and put new BF Goodrich T/A radials on it during the 2 years his wife owned her. I went for a test drive with him and he urged me to 'get on it' and slam on the brakes while not holding the wheel, it stopped on a dime and the wheel remained steady! When the test drive was finished I crawled all over that car looking for a 'gotcha' and it was like looking at a 2 year old garage queen!

He showed me the title from when the first owner traded the car in in 1995 where it had 15,500 miles on it. The dealer kept it in his warehouse and used it for his personal toy and only put 5,000 miles on it in 17 years! The dealer retired and his son liquidated the dealership and sold the Vette on Craigslist. Ivan bought it for his wife less than 2 years ago. She recently told him she wanted a 'regular car' as she was terrified to drive the Vette because she couldn't tell where the end of the nose was and didn't want to hit anyone or anything! Ivan posted it on Craigslist for 2 weeks and I was the only one who called him on it! I think many people thought it was a scam, but I was the lucky one who got Stella and now she sits in my garage and I drive her to my car club events and get LOTS of Thumbs Up!

Oh yeah back to the wife. She isn't a 'car girl', but I thought she might appreciate the Vette. I picked her up at the airport in Stella and she was not happy about my decision. I told her that an old Marine Corps league friend of mine had passed away while she was gone. At his memorial service, they read a message from him, "Fellas, if there is something you want to do, do it NOW because tomorrow isn't promised."
She really didn't pay much attention to what I told her when I said I took his advice to heart. Oh well, I have my red corvette and she'll get over it!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ms9t6diyr...315_180111.jpg

Last edited by JagNorb; 03-24-2014 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Photo
Old 03-28-2014, 09:34 PM
scabooshman
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 16 and I broke my arm last July pretty badly, so I had to go to the hospital and get a plate and screws- all that good stuff. I passed my driving test when i turned 16 in September (didnt let them know i couldnt use my wrist or anything because of nerve damage) and I got my grandma's 2000 mercury mystique. I drove that car for a little while, but i always (and had for a few years) had been talking on and off with my dad about getting an old corvette.
We started to look into it and were looking on craigslist and that kind of thing. Well my arm wasn't healing, so they went back in in November and found it was pretty infected. My dad was in Virginia for business (we live in NC) and he called me while I was in the hospital and said he had found a nice 1978 Black corvette. He went over and drove it, sent me some pictures, and let me talk to the seller with questions. He ended up buying it, and said he would drive it home in two days when he was coming home. I came home from the hospital the next day, and my dad called and said he was going to drive partway home that night, stop at a hotel, and then drive the rest of the way back. The next morning when I woke up, however, black beauty was parked out front of our house. Ill never forget the first time I saw the car and how it sat and then how loud it was when my dad started it up. My arm was in a sling and so i wasnt allowed to drive it for 3 more weeks. Longest days of my life! I'd come home and sit in it and start it up and take it down the street and back. At first I wasn't sure if i wanted to keep it because, lets face it, Corvettes arent the most practical cars. After a few months however, I enjoy driving everyday in it, especially now that it has gotten warm.
All of my friends ask how fast it goes and stuff like that and I just tell them they dont get it. For me it's just been about cruising with the T-tops off, listening to it purr in the mornings, and getting to hear adult's stories who see it and remember their old one.

Last edited by scabooshman; 03-28-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:52 PM
JagNorb
Pro

Originally Posted by scabooshman
I'm 16 and I broke my arm last July pretty badly, so I had to go to the hospital and get a plate and screws- all that good stuff. I passed my driving test when i turned 16 in September (didnt let them know i couldnt use my wrist or anything because of nerve damage) and I got my grandma's 2000 mercury mystique. I drove that car for a little while, but i always (and had for a few years) had been talking on and off with my dad about getting an old corvette.
We started to look into it and were looking on craigslist and that kind of thing. Well my arm wasn't healing, so they went back in in November and found it was pretty infected. My dad was in Virginia for business (we live in NC) and he called me while I was in the hospital and said he had found a nice 1978 Black corvette. He went over and drove it, sent me some pictures, and let me talk to the seller with questions. He ended up buying it, and said he would drive it home in two days when he was coming home. I came home from the hospital the next day, and my dad called and said he was going to drive partway home that night, stop at a hotel, and then drive the rest of the way back. The next morning when I woke up, however, black beauty was parked out front of our house. Ill never forget the first time I saw the car and how it sat and then how loud it was when my dad started it up. My arm was in a sling and so i wasnt allowed to drive it for 3 more weeks. Longest days of my life! I'd come home and sit in it and start it up and take it down the street and back. At first I wasn't sure if i wanted to keep it because, lets face it, Corvettes arent the most practical cars. After a few months however, I enjoy driving everyday in it, especially now that it has gotten warm.
All of my friends ask how fast it goes and stuff like that and I just tell them they dont get it. For me it's just been about cruising with the T-tops off, listening to it purr in the mornings, and getting to hear adult's stories who see it and remember their old one.
Great story! Your dad is awesome!
Old 04-04-2014, 11:11 PM
a71vette
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

Default How I Met My Corvette

When I was living down in the Houston area a few years back, my boss at work and I were chatting one day and I told him I was looking to pick up an old Mustang convertible to restore. He said his brother in law had an old car in his garage that's been sitting for years. I asked what it was, my boss not being a car guy said "I don't know, I think it's green though".

A couple months later he comes in and said that it was a Corvette, having always loved old Vettes, I asked what year, and got a blank stare. A few months later, at the 4th of July parade, I ran into my boss and his family, and his sister in law was with him. He says to her "this is the guy who wants to buy Troy's Corvette", to which she replied "it's a '71 Big Block, and PLEASE get it out of my garage." She gave me her husbands cell number and said to call him. I figured what the hell, and I gave him a call a few days later. We chatted and he told me how he bought it, dumped a bunch of money into it, but every time he drove it something broke. He got tired of getting screwed by mechanics, so he put it in the garage and it sat there for almost 10 years. I made arrangements with him to have my boss bring me to see it the next weekend.

I got there and the wife had pulled all the boxes off of it, moved all the kids toys out of the way, and windexed the car clean. It was sitting on 2 flats, had a full tank of decade old gas, but the motor was new and it had a decent paint job. I asked how much, she said call her husband. I called him when I got home and offered him $5k, I said it was probably worth more if it were running, but all I had budgeted for a project was $5k. He said he needed to think about it, 3 weeks later he called and said $5,500 and come get it this weekend. I had a flat bed there that weekend, and 3 years of work later and it'll hopefully be on the road soon.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Borca
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for your service.

Well if that isn't the best darn Corvette story I have ever heard. All the best and good luck with it! That, is a sentimental, grand slam home run.

All the best.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:41 PM
Bel
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It's like some say . . . There is more to just buying the perfect Vette and flaunting it like someone would a diamond ring . . . it's the adventure and story behind getting it that gives it honors; along with the blood, sweat and tears of making it yours. At that point in time the Corvette becomes part of you and you part of it, along with the "personal" mutual respect and bonding both deserve.

Dang . . . it almost humanizes the Vette. Treat her like the sweetheart she is, and come back sometime and share the rest of your adventure. Enjoy!
Old 04-06-2014, 08:35 AM
JagNorb
Pro

Originally Posted by Borca
Thanks for your service.

Well if that isn't the best darn Corvette story I have ever heard. All the best and good luck with it! That, is a sentimental, grand slam home run.

All the best.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:35 PM
82C3C.E.
7th Gear

My husband and I weren't even looking for a corvette, it just sort of landed in our laps and we couldn't be happier! We have a paint and body shop and found someone who wanted to barter their all original '82 collectors edition for a paint job on their truck. We agreed to go look at it and discuss it the next night. It was love at first sight!

Though the car body was in decent shape, the decals were cracked and faded. It only had 43,856 miles on it, but did not run. The rear hatch had slid down while sitting and the owner had used silicone to fill in the gap. The tires were new, but dry rotted. The interior was complete, but dirty, torn and it had silver seats- THAT's not original. That was last week. One new computer, fuel pump, filter, and battery later it purrs like a kitten. Now the ongoing discussions center around keeping it all original or getting into some modifications. Originally we had intended to flip it, but the more we look at it and drive it- the more it looks like it will be a permanent addition.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 90 Posts

Default Best Ever!

I bought my 1978 new and traded it in to buy my first Ferrari in 1982.
I started searching for it in 2004 and could only find owners records that ended in 1984....so I gave up on finding it.
So I changed my search to settle for car with the same color...it is frost beige with dark brown leather interior....problem was out of aprox 41k vettes produced that year, only aprox 600 were made in that color combination! The ones i found were ruff and not what I was willing to take on....until sept 2009 when I saw the color combo that I was looking for...in mint condition no less! I bid on it and it did not sell...I contacted the owner and tried to put a deal together...but with no luck...I was persistent and was able to finally put a deal together....during the paper work process....I realized it was ACTUALLY my old car! The owner had it in his collection since 1984 and never had it registered! The last 4 of the vin is 9157.... My year of birth was 1957... So I never forgot it...what was even more crazy is a week before I found it...I sold my Ferrari!!! I am on my 50th car and my 7th corvette ( I also have a new C7) but this car is my ROSEBUD!!!

Last edited by 9157; 04-22-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Lhazc
Heel & Toe

1969 350/350 4sp convertible

My dad picked up this car about 11yrs ago, had a new soft top installed, an electric fan and aluminum radiator, motor rebuilt and new red paint while he owned it. My dad passed away feb 28 2013 and the car sat in the garage, me and my mom discussed it from time to time since but she wasnt ready to let it go until a couple of weeks ago. When she mentioned selling it i decided i needed it and my wife agreed, we have fond memories of my dads smile when someone would mention his pretty red corvette. It needs some small things fixed to be driveable, brakes and a new battery, headlights wont pop up on their own, but for the most part its good to go.
After sitting for a about a year and a half you can imagine it needed a good cleaning.
* I had a rollback pick it up and bring it home on april 25 and got it out yesterday and washed it down, it shined up nicely. I hope to do some local car shows with it like my dad did, he has several trophies from around the area and maybe someday one of my sons will take it and do the same.

Last edited by Lhazc; 05-04-2014 at 06:10 PM. Reason: added a couple pics.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:52 PM
lg4vette
Instructor

Default My 1980's story

Hi guys. I grew up with a family living down the road with boys (one my age, one a year younger, one 3 years older) whose dad was in the Air Force. They moved to California for a couple years, then back. He drove a white 1980 corvette all the way from CA to MI. When they moved back to their house, I saw the car and told him "I'm going to buy that car some day". He got a kick out of a 9 year old telling him that. Well, we all grew up and went to college. I took a year off school and moved back home, saw an ad in the local paper which said "1980 corvette" and a very familiar looking phone number. I called, it was him...still had the corvette in like-new condition in the garage. I bought it the next day for $5000. Drove it for a summer then sold it when I went back to college. A few years later I hunted it down and bought it again in pieces. No engine..the 305 had spun a bearing and burned in a garage fire after it was pulled. Car was in rough condition, but it was mine again. Fast forward 13 years and the girl I went out with for a long time and I broke up (my biggest mistake ever) and she sold the car. I found who she sold it to and bought it back....for the third time. That was 3 years ago. I'm doing a full body-off restomod on it now. Just getting started. It's going to be just the way I wanted it when I had it 20 years ago, and it'll be something I'll still look at through the eyes of a drooling 9 year old. I'm not going to have to buy it a fourth time.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:08 PM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Well let me take you back to 1985 my dad came to the wonderful U.S of A in good ol' sunny southern California. All my uncle already had their sporty muscle cars ( i.e 78 trans am firebird, 79 formula firebird, turbo transfer am 80, 83 z28. I believe some of my uncles had the Mustang 5.slows and well he used um all for about a year to get around. so my dad saved his money up and he ended up deciding he wanted a vette because of there body and well you know it's a vette. Well he ran into an older guy who had 3 corvettes 2 for sale 1 not so much so my dad went to look at them one he said was a 69 sb with the gills but was pretty beat up missing bumpers and stuff of that nature the other was a beautiful 71 BB green the only thing he didn't like he said was the side vents but it was clean but guy wanted a lot of money for it lol and a 76 sb which he said was mint at the time black with brown interior he said the price was right that's the car I want and when he drove it smashed. by then he had already been dating my mom in all these sport cars that she told me she believed were his but she loved the vette. next thing you know mom's is pregnant with my Lil bro in 1987 while in the drive in movies watching La Bamba her water breaks he smashes to hospital my brother is born he's named after the who played Richie's brother they drive home in a vette with my Lil bro. And well my memories with the car are my dad taking to work with him in vette and riding in trunk when my mom was there and after my Lil brother was born we would use my mom's tbird for family stuff but remember all my friends at school would call my dad's 76 the bat mobile when he dropped me off so I guess I thought I was cool. That was in late 80 's so kids were stuck on Michael Keaton's car in batman. Well in 91 my mom is pregnant and 92 again and now we got a big family and we need a bigger car so here's the sad part my uncle(dad's sisters husband) says he'll buy it and my dad went a head and let him take car with a small installment so now we driving a maxima fast forward my uncle sells car to his nephew he fixes it up to his liking my dad never finished getting paid for car guy wants pinkslip my mom is registered owner said she never wanted to sell that car in first place and never got paid for it and won't sign over till she gets her money the nephew said not his problem fix it with his uncle. so guy finishes fixing car to his liking but can't put under his name for some reason he let it sit for a couple years came back again for ps my mom said I'll never sign it just sell me car back that was in 2003 my son was born in it I want him to have it my dad pays him get purple car back I wanted it from day it got there but my dad said I'd kill my self and I also wanted it for Esai. so I got a 91 iroc showed him and a monte Carlo ss which I totalled long story short in 2 years of having license I got over 30 tickets I think he had a point. so now my Lil brother born in car is coming to driving age and joins marines so I tell him to get car running since it had been sitting for over 10 years since my dad sold it and he said get this I want a car that's more economical and can take me more places like a civic. So then my dad wanted to sell it I said no he said get it running it's yours or else I'm a sell it. I said okay a week later was in shop got it started been having her for 6 years now still purple but under construction. I plan on giving it back to him next year for his 50th if I can get it painted and suspension done by may 2015. All motor tranny cooling system brand new or overhauled u joints and mounts and all. Another good thing about car is me and my dad could talk about car for hours on what could we do next.
Attached Images      
Old 05-18-2014, 07:11 PM
Wayne78SAvette
7th Gear

Default 1978 Silver Ann.

Wife received car when the car was 3 months old for a birthday present from her previous marriage. Met her in 1984. She ask me to dance at a party. Said she had to go to Montana to pick up a car. Met her at a later party, walked her to her car upon leaving, and here it was. Told her she could give me a ride in it sometime. She said I could drive it if I wanted. Still have car. 38,000 Miles later. Were
Still together the 3 of us.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:46 AM
Scotty76
Instructor

Originally Posted by 76_Stingray
Just wondering how you got your Corvette and what was the best thing that has happened with your C3 since?

ALSO if you would like to, read Corvette Stories from the Backbone of America. (Im not allowed to provide the webist, but you can find it). I got this book when i aquired my corvette last year! The Author, Tommy Mallory, is a good friend of my uncles and gave my Grandparents a signed copy, and on my birthday my grandparents then signed it over to me. Needless to say i am obsessed with the book and ive read it so many times ive became bored with the stories so I posted this to read more! EMAIL TOMMY MALLORY YOUR STORY TO GET IN THE NEXT EDITION!
Rescued mine from a guy who was letting it rot on the side of the road.
Paid a little more than I should have but now that its road worthy, I dig it

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  33.7 KB
Old 06-17-2014, 08:39 PM
coachdavester
1st Gear

Default 74 Stingray

I found this car on a job I was doing in Texas. Car has been owned by the same couple for 40 years. In great shape all original paint interior etc... It is my wifes dream car so we bought it at a great price. Loving doing work to it and driving it.

Dave Adams
Round Rock, Texas
Old 06-17-2014, 08:40 PM
JagNorb
Pro

Originally Posted by coachdavester
I found this car on a job I was doing in Texas. Car has been owned by the same couple for 40 years. In great shape all original paint interior etc... It is my wifes dream car so we bought it at a great price. Loving doing work to it and driving it.

Dave Adams
Round Rock, Texas

Get notified of new replies

To Whats the Story behind your C3?

Old 07-04-2014, 02:40 AM
rayluka
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

My brother-in-laws father bought it in Colorado as an investment..(oops).
After years of it sitting and him aging his father gave him the car and towed the car to Detroit together . An accident occurred. The Corvette was untouched. Came off the trailer. Trailer was obliterated. After returning to Michigan and Pops back in CO, it sat in his sisters garage. The dog was eating the bumpers.

One day out of the blue while here in vacationing here in CA he turned to me and said "why dont you buy my Corvette". So after 3500 mile of travel and a few "while im at its", it now has new paint,tires,brakes,mirrors new hood...3years later..you get the idea interior to go in next and it will be done. Can't wait to hit Pacific Coast Highway
From Mahogany and Firethorn to Red garnet pearl and black interior 26,000 miles
Old 07-08-2014, 03:13 PM
Stewzer55
Cruising

Of the two C3s in the garage, the '82 is the one with the "better" story.

Originally a Texas car the car was bought "for my mom" in 2002 sight unseen. It had a really good video of the car so it checked out. My mom's then significant other, an abusive control freak (thats another story all together, my parents divorced when I was four) bought the car for her, he has or at least had a '67 convertible 427 390hp 4 speed. The '82 had all the title, insurance, car note and the storage garage in mom's name. When they split, he sued for the car and lost because he had not made all the payments and therefore had no right to the car.

For a while my mom kept it up at her Dad's and let him take care of, drive it, take it to shows and parades because around that time she bought the other C3, the '74.

The first Corvette I got to ride in was the '82 with my grandad driving. The first one I got to drive was the '74 and I kept reaching for the clutch since my DD was a 5 speed at the time.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:13 AM
VETTEWITHLEGS
Instructor

my firstc3 was a 1969 bbc 4spd. the owner would not let me drive it due to insurance. The lane changes turned out to be due to tie rod ends.
after 700 miles of enjoyment , I suffered rod bearing failure. this was on a 1969 "427" coupe. Turned out to be a 396 block with a 558, 573 cam.
I put it back stock w hydraulic lifters, stock cam, etc. It still did 140 in 3rd, in less than a 1/4 mile in 3rd gear. sweet car. my6 girlfriend drove the car and put wannabees to shame at the next red light. saying " you think girls can't drive" sadly enough, I could not keep my sweetheart, and sold her.
I got a 1981from my brother in law and made her fast. 91 in the 1/4 mile still lifting in 2nd. I recently bought a 1972 BBC 454 4speed IU am the 3rd owner 91000 mile car.
I have never sat in any Vette newer than c3

Quick Reply: Whats the Story behind your C3?