Sponsored by:

1975 passenger side hood latch won't open

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Sasquatch_attack
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1975 passenger side hood latch won't open

i was showing my cousins boyfriend my 1975 corvette which i am restoring and told him not to latch the hood because the passenger side of the hood will not open after latched (it took me and my father like 2 hours to open it the first time and i've since forgotten how we opened it) anyways, he's one of those guys who "knows everything" so he decided to shut it after i told him not too, it's stuck again and i can't get it open and after me trying to open it with him helping me (the entire time i wanted to physically harm him) i gave up working on it for the night so he would leave. i've pulled the release cord on the hood itself but to no avail, please help be fore i lose my mind, thanks
Old 05-07-2012, 08:40 AM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

Try doing a search here on the forums. I remember seeing a post about this. Seems like they were able to get at it from under the car?? It wasn't easy I'm sure, but they did get it open.

Good luck with it. Be blunt with him after you get it it open and let him know that not listening to your request cost you a bunch of wasted time and frustration - and please just don't touch your car.

Adam
Old 05-07-2012, 09:17 AM
sfallison
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can get the drivers side popped, there is a cable that goes over to the passenger side. Pull on that cable (might try vice grips to pull on the cable), and see if it pops the passenger side latch.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Phil Zell
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sfallison
If you can get the drivers side popped, there is a cable that goes over to the passenger side. Pull on that cable (might try vice grips to pull on the cable), and see if it pops the passenger side latch.
And at the same time jiggle the hood back and forth and it will probably open.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:53 PM
obas
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Also there are rubber plugs in the windshield channel that can be removed and allow you to poke a screw driver through to operate the latch.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Sasquatch_attack
6th Gear

i should rephrase myself, the passenger side will unlatch but it gets caught on something, i think that it's misaligned somewhere on the hood
Old 05-07-2012, 07:53 PM
pleasants9
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by obas
Also there are rubber plugs in the windshield channel that can be removed and allow you to poke a screw driver through to operate the latch.
if you can get to the latch by this method and actuate the latch and it still won't open, sounds like your going to have to get under the car with a flash light and hope your arm reaches up there to feel along the side of the hood. IDK thats weird for it to catch on something since there are really no edges to catch.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...open-hood.html

Last edited by pleasants9; 05-07-2012 at 07:55 PM. Reason: added the link
Old 05-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Lemans Blue 69
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had same problem. Not a broken cable. Just intermittently would not pop open or just the left side. This past weekend, got it up on jack stands and my son after several attempts, hit something right and the hood popped open. I gave him a big hug. Read somewhere on this forum history about adjustments for the hood latching assembly. Simply take a piece of masking tape and press it on the female latch mechanism mounted on the hood. Make sure you see the circular outline of the latch opening. Place a gob of any thing on the tip of the male cone mounted on the body and let the hood gently rest against the tips of the male cones without puncturing the tape. You obviously will see the imprint on the tape and can adjust the cones accordingly so they are centered with with the female latches. I did this tonight and the hood works like a charm.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Sasquatch_attack
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Lemans Blue 69
Had same problem. Not a broken cable. Just intermittently would not pop open or just the left side. This past weekend, got it up on jack stands and my son after several attempts, hit something right and the hood popped open. I gave him a big hug. Read somewhere on this forum history about adjustments for the hood latching assembly. Simply take a piece of masking tape and press it on the female latch mechanism mounted on the hood. Make sure you see the circular outline of the latch opening. Place a gob of any thing on the tip of the male cone mounted on the body and let the hood gently rest against the tips of the male cones without puncturing the tape. You obviously will see the imprint on the tape and can adjust the cones accordingly so they are centered with with the female latches. I did this tonight and the hood works like a charm.

Hope that helps.
The first time my dad and i got it open it was because i somehow hit it right, he had the same reaction as you. whenever i manage to get the hood open the masking tape thing will probably be the first thing i do so i don't have to worry about stupid people anymore.
thanks!
Old 05-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Corvettekid75
6th Gear

Hey, Maybe you guys could help me!!! i haven't been able to open my hood on my 75 for years! I have looked at so many different forums, but none of them have really helped. I just came across this forum and wanted to see if you guys could help. Im not sure exactly what the problem is, but when you pull the hood release, it dosent pop the latches. I have gone under the car( put it on jackstands) and got my hand up to the drivers side latch. I couldnt seem to move it at all. So im not sure if its rusted on or what... People always say to just pop the little rubber grommets out and use a screw driver to pop them, but i dont have those. Really frustrating, and just want to see if you guys had any ideas. THANKS!!!
Old 05-20-2012, 09:09 AM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

There are other posts on this subject. Maybe one of them has something that will help.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...1975-help.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...open-hood.html

A YouTube video that might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4BhkZ26nTQ

Adam
Old 05-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Corvettekid75
6th Gear

hey thanks for the quick reply! yeah see if that video, the guy opens the latches by using those easy access ports in the wiper area. Only bad thing is, is that i dont have those holes...

Get notified of new replies

To 1975 passenger side hood latch won't open

Quick Reply: 1975 passenger side hood latch won't open