Stainless Works needs a 63-74 original Big Block car for prototyping

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:35 AM
0Stainless Works
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless Works needs a 63-74 original Big Block car for prototyping

Hi guys. Hopefully you can help us out.

Stainless Works is looking to update headers for the C2 and C3 Vettes!

First on the list are the Big Block cars.

We need a factory original big block car from 63-74. Side Pipe car would be a plus!

Anyone close to us and interested in a set of stainless steel headers/exhaust? The Stainless Works facility is located just outside Cleveland in Chagrin Falls, Ohio.

-Jason
Stainless Works
Unmatched Sound & Performance

phone: 800.878.3635 ext232 - fax: 440.543.9183
http://www.stainlessworks.net

Last edited by Stainless Works; 05-04-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:54 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 465 Likes on 375 Posts

Dang......wish we were closer....
Old 05-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

There were no big block cars prior to 65. Factory sidepipes were 69 only.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:05 AM
mysixtynine
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Considering there are basically two sides of the house on this forum "the NCRS/Original guys" and the "anything goes guys"

I don't think your gonna find too many "Original" guys that are gona jump at aftermarket headers and exhaust.

You may need to open this up to just big block cars. Then you will find Borgeson and R&P cars.

My body is off and I have a 509 with a Borgeson. Wish I was closer. I like the looks of your big block headers and pipes that hook up to the factory system.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:08 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 336 Likes on 257 Posts

Considering I have a set of big-block headers on backorder with you guys, I'd like to know what you want to update? What are the issues with the current ones? Will I find they don't fit right?

Maybe I should cancel the order?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:15 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
Considering I have a set of big-block headers on backorder with you guys, I'd like to know what you want to update? What are the issues with the current ones? Will I find they don't fit right?

Old 05-04-2012, 10:48 AM
0Stainless Works
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mysixtynine
Considering there are basically two sides of the house on this forum "the NCRS/Original guys" and the "anything goes guys"

I don't think your gonna find too many "Original" guys that are gona jump at aftermarket headers and exhaust.

You may need to open this up to just big block cars. Then you will find Borgeson and R&P cars.

My body is off and I have a 509 with a Borgeson. Wish I was closer. I like the looks of your big block headers and pipes that hook up to the factory system.
I feel you there. Most Vettes are "all out" or completely factory. When we design the systems, we like to only use factory original cars so that there are no variances in engine location, motor mounts, steering boxes, etc. The thought process being that the guys who modify their cars and therefore have those different engine locations, motor mounts, and steering setups will understand if they have to tweak something so the headers fit those new locations.

Originally Posted by zwede

Sent you a PM
Old 05-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
There were no big block cars prior to 65. Factory sidepipes were 69 only.
Actually, there were factory side piped C2's on 65-67.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:09 PM
0Stainless Works
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Rebelrob
Actually, there were factory side piped C2's on 65-67.
YUP. He is right that 69 is the only C3 though.

Nobody close has a car?
Old 05-05-2012, 12:35 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 549 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Factory sidepipes were 69 only.
Negatory. Factory side pipes were a well known and popular option for the C2's.

In addition to just side pipes, headers were an option for the 67's, 68's and 69's. I think this header option may have been for L88's only in 68 and 69. An acquaintance of mine bought the factory option headers and side pipes for his 435hp/427 67. I'm not sure, but there's something in my memory that says the factory headers had to be installed by the dealer upon delivery.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:44 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 549 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Stainless Works
Hi guys. Hopefully you can help us out.

Stainless Works is looking to update headers for the C2 and C3 Vettes!

phone: 800.878.3635 ext232 - fax: 440.543.9183
http://www.stainlessworks.net
Seems like you could make a good business just duplicating the Hooker Big Block side pipe headers in stainless steel. Also, Hedman Hedders makes a side pipe header for the 69 style factory side pipes. The Hedman Hedders appear to be made out of the cheapest steel that can be bought. Why not just duplicate their headers in stainless. I have the 69 factory side pipe exhaust on my 68 with Hedman steel headers. I have a BB on my 70 and would be interested in SS.

I have a BB sitting on a 70 bare frame. The steering box and front suspension is all installed. Too bad I'm not a little closer!!
Old 05-06-2012, 08:23 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
Seems like you could make a good business just duplicating the Hooker Big Block side pipe headers in stainless steel. Also, Hedman Hedders makes a side pipe header for the 69 style factory side pipes. The Hedman Hedders appear to be made out of the cheapest steel that can be bought. Why not just duplicate their headers in stainless. I have the 69 factory side pipe exhaust on my 68 with Hedman steel headers. I have a BB on my 70 and would be interested in SS.
In theory you have a cost effective suggestion but......there is no guarantee that the set of headers they wind up with to reverse engineer are made correct in the 1st place especially with Hedman Headers. Their quality and customer service leaves a lot to be desired of late. Ask me how I know.

Stainless Works builds a great set of headers and their customer service is top notch as well. I speak from experience.

I think their idea of building a set of headers using an original big block at least tries to limit the need for "adjustments" when trying to install them. Even cars with big block "swaps" when using stock mounts, heads with stock exhaust port location, and stock steering should fit without issues.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:48 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

I don't have the car you are looking for, but I do have a request! Can you please make a quality 1 7/8" primary header that actually fits for those of use with big-inch small block cars?!?!?
Old 05-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a 68 coupe 4 speed non power 427 in Dearborn Mich which I owned since new and is still basically stock as I bought it and available....I actually was a dealer for your products several years ago

Old 05-06-2012, 06:01 PM
mad pad house
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 69 427 but I'm up here in Canada.When you have the prototype made make sure we see it ,I am looking for a set for my own car.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:54 AM
0Stainless Works
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
In theory you have a cost effective suggestion but......there is no guarantee that the set of headers they wind up with to reverse engineer are made correct in the 1st place especially with Hedman Headers. Their quality and customer service leaves a lot to be desired of late. Ask me how I know.

Stainless Works builds a great set of headers and their customer service is top notch as well. I speak from experience.

I think their idea of building a set of headers using an original big block at least tries to limit the need for "adjustments" when trying to install them. Even cars with big block "swaps" when using stock mounts, heads with stock exhaust port location, and stock steering should fit without issues.

We appreciate the kind words about our products. And, quite frankly, couldn't have said it better ourselves. Having had our product copied, we certainly won't do it to anyone else nor do we want to inherit any fitment issues

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
I don't have the car you are looking for, but I do have a request! Can you please make a quality 1 7/8" primary header that actually fits for those of use with big-inch small block cars?!?!?
Stainless Works currently makes a 1 5/8" and an 1 3/4" header but we have access to an original small block car so we might be able to get something in the works.

Originally Posted by Ironcross
I have a 68 coupe 4 speed non power 427 in Dearborn Mich which I owned since new and is still basically stock as I bought it and available....I actually was a dealer for your products several years ago

Great looking car! You have a PM

Last edited by Stainless Works; 05-07-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:53 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ls long tube header request

LS LONG TUBE HEADER REQUEST

Here is a request, Now a days the LS swaps are becoming the norm in the C2 and C3 Vettes, the problem is no one is making a quality set of long tube headers for the LS swap cars that fit as nice as they should, and compensate for the use of a rack and pinion steering stem. I have a set from a competitor of yours and as they look nice, they have a horrible fit, they hang down way to low below the oil pan, scrapping the ground more often then not and had to be reworked by me to except the steering stem for the rack and pinion.

It's real simple, design a set that will fit a C2 or C3 with a rack and pinion system, but also could be used with a steering box, then keep them up tight to the bottom of the motor and (auto)transmission pan so they don't drag the ground every other moment.

You Guy's had built a really nice set for a guy in the C2 section, that is the type of quality and standards I am looking for.

What would it take for you guys to gain an interest in manufacturing the LS long to headers for the guys who are serious about moving these old Vette's into the future with modern drive trains.

Riggs

Get notified of new replies

To Stainless Works needs a 63-74 original Big Block car for prototyping

Old 05-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

1.875" DIA LS SWAP HEADERS PLEASE!

I think the Big Block market is pretty well covered at the moment why don't you get smart and cover a market with little to no competition!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:42 AM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Solid LT1

I think the Big Block market is pretty well covered at the moment why don't you get smart and cover a market with little to no competition!
I'll second that notion
Old 05-08-2012, 07:58 AM
0Stainless Works
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by riggs 74
LS LONG TUBE HEADER REQUEST

Here is a request, Now a days the LS swaps are becoming the norm in the C2 and C3 Vettes, the problem is no one is making a quality set of long tube headers for the LS swap cars that fit as nice as they should, and compensate for the use of a rack and pinion steering stem. I have a set from a competitor of yours and as they look nice, they have a horrible fit, they hang down way to low below the oil pan, scrapping the ground more often then not and had to be reworked by me to except the steering stem for the rack and pinion.

It's real simple, design a set that will fit a C2 or C3 with a rack and pinion system, but also could be used with a steering box, then keep them up tight to the bottom of the motor and (auto)transmission pan so they don't drag the ground every other moment.

You Guy's had built a really nice set for a guy in the C2 section, that is the type of quality and standards I am looking for.

What would it take for you guys to gain an interest in manufacturing the LS long to headers for the guys who are serious about moving these old Vette's into the future with modern drive trains.

Riggs
Originally Posted by Solid LT1

Originally Posted by NassyVette
I'll second that notion

You guys volunteering?

Last edited by Stainless Works; 05-08-2012 at 08:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Stainless Works needs a 63-74 original Big Block car for prototyping