Sponsored by:

License Plates

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 06:15 PM
sjelliott1961
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default License Plates

My vette arrives in a few days, I was wondering what the advantages/disadvantages of antique/classic license plates? I am hoping to get 72vett as my new licence plates..
Old 04-18-2012, 06:30 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,608 Posts

You have to check with the state DMV. In Connecticut we have a usage tax on cars and if you are eligble for classic plates and have them you pay a significantly lower tax.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi sje,
WELL!!!
If that's the car in your avatar, you must be pretty excited!
It looks like a beauty, so you'll need to tell us ALL about it, (including pictures), when it arrives.
Good LucK!
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you're registering that car in Texas, you may wish to develop up to 6 (IIRC) alternate name requests.

You'd be surprised at how many folks think like you do.

Good luck and look forward to plenty of pictures...!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Redwing01
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Took me 8 tries till I found one that wasn't taken.
Best of luck
Old 04-18-2012, 09:59 PM
wnmech
Drifting

I love our Texas antique plates. They cost us $50 dollars for 5 year issue and only one plate required instead of the typical Texas two licence plates also no inspection required on the vehicle. Texas rules say antique plates are to be limited driving too and from car shows and events and maintenance runs. I have had my antique plates on the car since I bought it and have never been stopped or questioned about the useage of my vehicle.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:02 PM
ATIS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In North Carolina there are several advantages... the biggest being no more vehicle inspections ($40).
Old 04-18-2012, 10:05 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I'd make sure any limitations on when you can drive or what you can do to your 'vette won't cramp your style before commiting to special plates. As is the case anywhere, enforcement may vary depending on where you reside. This might be worth a read...

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?cont...12TX1&g=SEMAGA
Old 04-19-2012, 08:22 AM
riarms
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

In RI you get taxed less but you are limited to miles per year.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:50 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

When you guys talk about antique plates are you saying you order new plates form the DMV that looks old, or you have to have an old plate already?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:54 AM
ATIS
Racer

My plate says "antique car" on it and then only 5 numbers on it compared to the new plates that have 7 numbers/letters. With the antique car plate I no longer have the vehicle safety/emmissions inspections and the plate renewal is a little cheaper.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:58 AM
U17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I chose NOT to go with the plates... for now .... http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/license_plates.htm
Old 04-19-2012, 09:08 AM
ATIS
Racer

Here is why U17 didnt get them.... sorry the link went to a general page

TEXAS
You may apply for Antique license plates for your motor vehicle if it is at least 25 years old and a collector's item. The motor vehicle must be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest. Motor vehicles displaying Antique plates may not be used for regular transportation or advertising. The motor vehicle may be driven to and from a location for routine maintenance.

Antique plates are issued for five-year periods. The registration fee, not including other applicable fees for the five-year period is $50 for motor vehicles manufactured in 1921 and subsequent years. The registration fee, not including other applicable fees is $40 for motor vehicles manufactured in 1920 and prior years. Fees are reduced $10/$8 for each year of the period that has elapsed at the time the application is filed.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:15 AM
U17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I click on the link it goes to the "License Plates" page... hummm... I do have them on my T-Bucket...I'm thinking about them next year for the '76... Seems everywhere we go in these cars it turns into a show, or going to a shop !!!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 AM
wnmech
Drifting

Originally Posted by ATIS
Here is why U17 didnt get them.... sorry the link went to a general page

TEXAS
You may apply for Antique license plates for your motor vehicle if it is at least 25 years old and a collector's item. The motor vehicle must be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest. Motor vehicles displaying Antique plates may not be used for regular transportation or advertising. The motor vehicle may be driven to and from a location for routine maintenance.

Antique plates are issued for five-year periods. The registration fee, not including other applicable fees for the five-year period is $50 for motor vehicles manufactured in 1921 and subsequent years. The registration fee, not including other applicable fees is $40 for motor vehicles manufactured in 1920 and prior years. Fees are reduced $10/$8 for each year of the period that has elapsed at the time the application is filed.
I have been driving on my antique plates for about 7 years now occasional use and have passed many local and DPS police and have never been questioned about my useage but by the book you are correct
Old 04-19-2012, 09:35 AM
ATIS
Racer

I hear you. I did a quick search on the Texas DMV site to find that as his link did go to it.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

From my experience...when you have a personalized plate the cops have your number. You no longer blend in with the crowd. But you already have a red car so what the hey?

Get notified of new replies

To License Plates

Old 04-19-2012, 01:48 PM
C3batmobile
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the '72 !!!

Some good points in this thread about the differences in these laws in different states. I didn't think about the fact that the local cops will notice your car and with the special plate are likely to 'keep you in mind' - but then, I'm extra careful (usually) when driving my mistress, especially locally.

Some interesting notes about the Kentucky version of these 'antique' car plates. They say "Historic Auto" on them, which I like - and you get the longer-term, maybe 'permanent' registration - with no annual sticker/registration or taxes. But here's the coolest provision: at least the way I read the full law, you can put 'historic reproduction' plates on the car instead of the one they issue.

There are internet vendors that sell these plates for most states. So, you can get any personalized plate 'number' you want - even if it is one that is 'taken' through the regular state system - as long as you get the correct year/version for your state/locality. You then just have to carry your state-provided 'historic car' plate in the car with your registration, etc.

The problem with this is, of course, that you are likely 'asking' to be pulled-over - and then you might even have to attempt to educate the officer - or end-up having to go to court and expect the judge to know the full (& likely obscure) law. So, when I do this, I carry a copy of the full statute in the car with me, hoping that will help. So far I haven't been pulled-over, but I don't drive her all the time either.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Mgrad92
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michigan laws for historic license plates are similar to what other states do. I had an authentic 1969 plate on my 1969 Mustang for 9 years without a problem.
If you do happen to get stopped, just be sure to know where the local cruise nights are so you can tell him where you're going. Or maybe you're driving to your mechanic. Or even to your buddy's house do some work on your car because he's got a lift in his garage and you don't. As long as you're not driving like a fool, most cops aren't really that interested in busting you because of your historic plates.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I plan to get antique plates once my registration is up this year. Tired of getting that LOOK..... from the inspector and his cronies when I have to get it inspected each year.
They always seem to find some unrelated safety item to balk about. Not to mention is cleans up the corner of your windshield with all those stickers.

Quick Reply: License Plates