Sponsored by:

Fresh air door on 82

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 10:20 AM
DANNYS8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fresh air door on 82

All 82's have a preety cool hood the incorparates a fresh air door that opens when the gas pedel is mashed down.Question why not carefully remove and save the setup letting fresh air to always enter directly into the duel air filters.Like a constant ram air effect.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:16 PM
scorpion18z
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have and no problems. It has something to do with pollution control, but I pollute the enviroment in so many ways, the vette isn't going to make a dent in the ozone. By the way, I have the door and solenoid if you are looking for one.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Rmodeler
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did it make any difference in performance?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:03 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

yep, I removed it as well and using two K&N filters
Old 04-16-2012, 10:04 PM
scorpion18z
Racer

Originally Posted by Rmodeler
Did it make any difference in performance?
I have not put any measureable miles on the car since I removed the flapper. I am still undergoing restoration (it is at paint now) and will be working on the interior soon thereafter. I hope to be finished by the first of summer and will then put some miles on it and do some comparisons with what I started with.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:21 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 464 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by DANNYS8
All 82's have a preety cool hood the incorparates a fresh air door that opens when the gas pedel is mashed down.Question why not carefully remove and save the setup letting fresh air to always enter directly into the duel air filters.Like a constant ram air effect.
Our 73 454 has one of those secret cold air doors as well.........ours still works.

In 1973, the air intake used a new design for cold air induction but without the obvious indication (hood bulge) of what lie under the hood as in 1968-69. As a result, the “carb-air induction” required a new hood, featuring a functional grille centered at the base of the windshield. Inside, the air cleaner used a round rubber seal, which fits into a flange that surrounds the dual snorkel air cleaner assembly. Once the hood is closed, it mates to the hood creating a seal that draws cold air in through the grille at the back of the hood. Upon hard acceleration, a vacuum operated solenoid opens a flap that covers the hood grille from the underside, drawing cold air from cowl area. When the vent opens, the rush of forced air sends an adrenaline message to occupants to hang on, especially for LS4 passengers.

Last edited by 73Corvette; 04-16-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:23 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Ahhh man make my mouth water. Yes you have a real ram air setup. Brings high pressure off the windshield thus "ram air"
Old 04-17-2012, 08:43 AM
scorpion18z
Racer

The theory is in getting "cold" air into the intake manifold, where cold air is better than "hot" air with regards to performance. Various systems were used (and are still being used) to by-pass the "hot" air generated by the engine in the engine bay. It is all relative to the heat generated by the engine, trapped in the engine bay, and the ambient temperature of "outside" air, which could be significant.

I do not know how much of a difference it makes and if the difference is significant on a stock engine or one that has been souped up. Probably it does, but I do not notice anything outstanding driving around town between stop lights and stop signs. Maybe on the back country roads or interstate you will notice something.

It is my guess that the flapper system on the 1982 vette was an attempt at pollution control by somehow regulating engine heat and exhaust emmissions in conjunction with "other" systems and/or sensors.

Possibly an engineer type will chime in on the matter.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:11 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

For 82 it was not a pollution control at all. Under WOT the map sensor and TPS would generate a signal to open the flapper allowing cooler dense air into the throttle bodies allowing the engine to make more power. Did it really work?? It's anyones guess but more of a gimmick than anything. But by removing the flapper altogether you constantly get the cooler air. And the faster you go the more benefit you will gain, although I don't recommend speedy. I myself even removed the snorkel and filled the hole so I truly get all my intake air through the hood.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:09 PM
scorpion18z
Racer

Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:25 PM
DANNYS8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everone,It just seems GM went through a lot of expense to change the hood,big difference from the 81,change the electronics around etc:but I don't see any big difference in power.Maybe it will help with fuel economy.They should have designed a cup holder instead!! Good old GM.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:31 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 464 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by DANNYS8
Thanks everone,It just seems GM went through a lot of expense to change the hood,big difference from the 81,change the electronics around etc:but I don't see any big difference in power.Maybe it will help with fuel economy.They should have designed a cup holder instead!! Good old GM.
What would you consider a big difference in power?
The average cold air intake today gains about 5 to 10 HP
Totally agree on the cup holder.........maybe could have done a better job on the stereo as well........
Old 10-08-2015, 02:00 AM
asby69
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpion18z
I have and no problems. It has something to do with pollution control, but I pollute the enviroment in so many ways, the vette isn't going to make a dent in the ozone. By the way, I have the door and solenoid if you are looking for one.
Still got 'em ?
Old 10-08-2015, 11:53 AM
scorpion18z
Racer

Originally Posted by asby69
Still got 'em ?
I have found my original solenoid and flapper assembly. It is a used part obviously, but in working condition. The foam will have to be replaced after 34 years, but nothing is missing or broken. photos attached. I will sell it for $100 including shipping via USPS (obo). Payment can be handled through my PayPal account if interested.

Last edited by scorpion18z; 10-08-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:09 PM
COOLTED
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I had that setup on an '84 Trans-Am. It had the hood bulge with a grille that I could see leaves and stuff being smashed up against it at WOT.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:36 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,714 Likes on 2,272 Posts

In the mid-to-late 1970's, the Corvette 'image' became one of a luxury sports toy...rather than a true sports car. By the 1980's, folks didn't consider the Corvette a performance car, anymore. GM attempted to regain that image with some 'stuff' they could tout as improving performance. Actual power gains from that flapper/fresh air would be minor, at best. But, it made the engine sound a lot better than your Dad's Oldsmobile when you popped the throttle down.

Don't you love American marketing?

Get notified of new replies

To Fresh air door on 82

Quick Reply: Fresh air door on 82