C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Financially should this car be restored...???

Old 04-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Im not a big fan of pacecars anyway because it takes away the importance of the car being a Corvette in the first place.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:58 PM
couperdecar
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even if he offered it to you for a $1. you'd still loose money on it.
Leave it alone IMO.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:02 PM
bobbarry
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rdroe
What is working against this car is the fact that it is an Indy Pace Car. The paint and body repair are 80% of the cost. I've done the interior and all the rubber on mine for $2k. A good investment. Now if you are keeping this car for yourself, then I would say offer $6k, and then take your time and, as my wife says, "dither the money in so that it's not perceptible". It ultimately would make a nice car to have. Of course I've done this to 8 cars so far in my last 15 years of restoration. I now have my 82 and it's a final keeper!

But if it is not a genuine Pace Car, but only painted to look like one, I don't think it would have the full value of a real pace-car, even if done to #1 condition.

As others have noted, you could ring up a $14,000 bill on repairs and restoration for this car without breathing hard, and wind up with a car worth $12,000 at the top end. There are many more good useable cars from that era available that you could get in and drive right now, for not much more than you'd pay for the purchase-price of this one.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:45 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Jase
So a friend of mine has a 78 Pac(e car that he wants to sell. He is a great guy and I'd like to buy it from him but I can't make a bad financial decision. It is an actual replica based on the VIN.

The good:
L-48 Engine seems to run strong and has a rebuilt carburator. Feels more powerful then 180 HP
Has 81k miles but in its condition it could have 181k.
Remanufactured AC Unit
Original Engine, Carburator (rebuilt), and transmission.
Brake calipers have been replaced (good and bad I guess)
New power steering pump, new belts, new hoses.
Shocks are definitely not original.
Original T-Tops
Not much rust underneath...car might have been in Southwest entire life.
Brand new tires.
Headlights work but right side opens much faster then left side.

The bad:
Several cracks in fiberglass over front wheels, nose, small other areas.
Original paint is in bad shape and doesn't appear to be fixable.
Rubber is rotten everywhere, leather has holes in it.
Power antenna doesn't work, interior light and engine light do not work.
The power steering cylinder leaks almost as fast as you can pour fluid into the car.
Car was backed into something which put a crack/hole in the fin that would need to be fixed.

So, how much is the value of this car in the current condition? What would I have to put into it to make it a desirable car for the average corvette enthusiast. If I have to put more into the car then it will be worth in the end then that doesn't work for me right now.
for what it is worth, i bought a real pace car (by VIN number) 6 years ago for 11k and put significantly north of that $$ into it to get it to a dependable, usable, local car show type vehicle. i did it because i wanted to and i don't plan on selling the car anytime in the near future. i did it to enjoy it. if you are looking to buy a C3 for profit or as an investment, i doubt you will be able to in your lifetime (as far as what you will have to put in it over time or immediately, and the time it will take to really appreciate). if you are doing it to bring back old memories of when you had a C3 when they were on the streets as regular cars, be prepared to spend a reasonable amount to get it back to being a safe vehicle. if you plan on doing the work yourself, be prepared for a long haul. if you are having someone do the work, be prepared to have deep pockets. just my 2 cents as i just went through it. BTW for what it is worth, i based solely on your description, i believe you might be over paying at 7k. you can buy a good streetable non pace car 78-79 for not much more than that and not have the expenses involved in putting it back to roadworthy shape. (at least in my area)

Last edited by srs244; 04-02-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

It is an actual replica based on the VIN.
Is it a REAL pace car, or a replica?

I would look around a bit. You can probably get a car that needs only a little work for $10k. In the end you would have a LOT less $$ in the car. I bought mine for $4,500 several years ago. When I got digging around, it needed a lot more than I thought. I've been slowly restoring it over the years. Last year I bought a different car because I wanted something that I could drive. This one didn't need any work and it feels great. But, I wish I'd have bought my vette mostly done.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Jase
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. I keep watching craigslist for a good deal. The one I was looking at was a real replica Pace care number 905XXX. I have seen some great C3s that have been completely restored/modified and need next to nothing in the $10k-14K range. Just waiting for the right one. I just have to wait for the right one to come along. Of course if anyone is selling one for a great price in the Phoenix area then shoot me an email
Old 04-09-2012, 04:09 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

if you buy the car, after the divorce you will living in it. so make sure it's rain-proof!
buy the house.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jnb5101
buy the house.
I pretty much agree. Couldn't imagine sinking that much coin into a car when I could've bought a new home instead. Gotta have a place to live. Give the 'vette thing a rest for a little bit and wait for the right car to come along at the right time.

FWIW, if its got 80k or 180k and the rear end hasn't been rebuilt, the car will most likely need that job done as well. And while that job isn't all that expensive, it doesn't make sense to do it without doing t/a's, bushings, etc etc. It gets expensive.

My last project started out as a simple brake job and wound up costing a little over $3,800 before said & done. And, after finished, I still have a high production model ('79; low value) with crappy paint and a poor interior.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:33 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Pass. If you're just looking to get into a Corvette for cheap that you can slowly work on and drive, I know of an '81 right now for around $3500. It's in about the same condition as you described the '78.
Now having said that, about this pace car, if you're wanting to "flip" it, definitely pass. If you're looking for a project that you can buy and drive while you slowly restore it, and then maybe sell it 10-15 years down the road, then $7k is still a little high but not all that bad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Financially should this car be restored...???