C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A big thanks to Gordonm for the RS500 swap!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Slotehog
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default A big thanks to Gordonm for the RS500 swap!!

So as some of you were following the auto to manual RS500 Swap in my 1980 here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...under-way.html

I have to say first things first: Gordonm is the man! A straight up, good guy, willing to help with everything and anything. Not only did G do the trans swap but he replaced the power steering, rear main seal, steering column coupler, lower steering column bearing, dimmer switch, starter, and tightened the infamous loose column bolts.

Gordon managed to take a day trip to Baltimore for work (about a 2.5-3 hour drive each way), go for a 23 mile bike ride, and install the trans all by 6:30 pm on 2/21. I swear this guy is a machine!

Gordon is so good with these cars, he even was able to fix things that he didn't know needed to be fixed! When I dropped the car off to him the passenger side door could not be opened from the outside...well it opens as it should now as if the car was saying "thanks for taking care of my leaking troubles!"

Within five minutes of leaving Gordon's house, I was on Route 70 eastbound excited to travel the 40 or so miles home with an overdrive trans. As if the Corvette gods wanted me to know they were watching me smile, they sent three Vettes westbound on 70. A gold chrome bumper Stingray, a yellow 80-82, and a black C5, each driver giving the signature, and often forgotten, "Corvette Wave." If any of you guys are reading this, your Vettes are looking

It was an enjoyable ride and when I got back to town, my baby sister (age 23) wanted a ride, so I obliged. "That is way cooler than what it was before!" she exclaimed as I returned her home.

Worth every penny for sure! Shifts great and feels like a completely different car!

Unfortunately this is the only picture I took of the drive back..I was too busy shifting through the gears!

I thought I enjoyed the car before..compared to how I feel about driving it now..I must have hated it before..

Thanks again Gordon!!

Andy

Last edited by Slotehog; 03-04-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:11 PM
80stroker383
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Andy,

Been on the fence weather or not to make this leap, but reading this is pushing me to make a decision.
Glad it is everything you were hoping it would be. Did everything needed come with the kit or did you have to get additional parts to complete?

Bill
Old 03-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Slotehog
Instructor

Originally Posted by 80stroker383
Andy,

Been on the fence weather or not to make this leap, but reading this is pushing me to make a decision.
Glad it is everything you were hoping it would be. Did everything needed come with the kit or did you have to get additional parts to complete?

Bill
You will not be disappointed if you swap. I promise you that.

With exception to the parts that needed to be replaced, the only thing needed that was not included with the kit was the clutch safety switch.

Andy
Old 03-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Andy, I stopped by Gordon's last Saturday and he told me everything he was doing on your car. It was in pieces when I was there, and he told me he would be done with it by the weekend. I've known G for a couple of years which means i had no doubt it would be. He does great work - treats your car as if it is his own, and genuinely likes doing what he does. And now that he's done with your car, I can get on his schedule for my PS conversion - just kidding!!! Im looking to upgrade my Muncie 4 speed to the RS5 next season. I understand you are a friend of Steve C, which means I'll see you in the spring and summer if you do the show circuit. Love the Beach Bum show in LBI! have fun with your new and improved tranny!
Old 03-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,149 Likes on 2,078 Posts

Ok, so those of us who got trapped in the RS600 debacle (I was just about to place the order, had made all the calls, money put aside etc. when everything started going sideways) really don't need you telling us how great it shifts and how it's so much cooler than it was before...

Your just killing me here....

Seriously though, great to hear it's everything that you expected.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Andy, Thanks for the kind words. It was a pleasure doing this for you. This is what it is all about. To see someone really enjoy my work is what makes it worth it.

The kits from Keisler are very complete kits. They come with all that is needed. The switch is optional as some don't want the clutch switch. I highly recomend this so the car will not start in gear.

Mike, when I get mine in the running stage yours will be over here for the PS conversion. Your trans swap will be a piece of cake to do.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Mooser, what RS6 debacle?
Old 03-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Andy, Thanks for the kind words. It was a pleasure doing this for you. This is what it is all about. To see someone really enjoy my work is what makes it worth it.

The kits from Keisler are very complete kits. They come with all that is needed. The switch is optional as some don't want the clutch switch. I highly recomend this so the car will not start in gear.

Mike, when I get mine in the running stage yours will be over here for the PS conversion. Your trans swap will be a piece of cake to do.
No rush Gordon, Im looking forward to the LS test drive
Old 03-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,149 Likes on 2,078 Posts

Originally Posted by Lupigiato73
Mooser, what RS6 debacle?
3 Month lead time -> 6 Months - > 10 Months -> ??? -> replaced with new SS700 (delivery to be determined).

The RS sounds exactly like what I'm looking for, I'm sure the TKO would be fine but the RS just sounds a little smoother. (you just confirmed my feeling, those who have driven them seem to really like them )

I'd like to stick with Keisler so hopefully they get whatever sorted out over the next few months and I can get something lined up for next winter

Hope you didn't take my msg the wrong way, just saying it makes not having one worse
Mooser
Old 03-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Keisler Automotive
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Great Job Gordon. Congrats to Andy

Very nice writeup from both of you! Reading this reminded me of the feelings I had when I did my first 5speed swap from automatic (it was on a V12 Jag convert XJS that came with a th400 and 2.73 diff - yuck). I wasn't prepared for just how different the car was with the 5speed - it blew my expectations away.

Gordon made a comment that the RS shifts like the T56 in his C3. The reason for this is because the Borg Warner T45 (basis of RS) was developed several years after the BW T56, and used the T56 synchros, along with its own version of the shift system including Guide Plate and single rail architecture. If you were to drive a TKO equipped C3 vs the RS C3 back to back, you would notice a big difference in shift quality. RS is also much quieter in 1-3 gears.

We will soon have the next revision level extension housing for RS and SS. This housing (rev M) has neutral safety switch provision. It will be a running changeover.

Moose, thr RS600 is not discontinued, just paused while we catch up. It will remain a member of the RS family. We are making some changes to the countershaft design to make it easier to produce; thus allowing us to produce them at a higher rate.

Andy and Gordon,
Thanks again for posting your swap experience! I hope to see MN80's swap online, as well as another C3 member here that received one of the first RS units for C3.
Shafi
Old 03-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Kudos to all involved. These OD clutch car conversions transform the car's enjoyment so much. I have a Keisler TKO600 and one day, hope to slide the RS600 in its place.

Thanks Shafi, for engineering a nice kit. Saved me a lot of time when I installed mine.

Gordonm is one of those guys who knows a lot about these C3 cars and like other good guys here, shares his knowledge freely.

Way to go!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:28 AM
1980 Ray
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey slotehog could you please remove the quote from my post? Shafi contacted me and is going to help me sort out these problems. I was one of the first transmissions and they have made several updates since then that should fix my problems.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Slotehog
Instructor

Ray,

I'm glad Shafi made right. I've had nothing but good things to say about his company so far and as stated earlier, Gordon is A+ as well!

Andy

Get notified of new replies

To A big thanks to Gordonm for the RS500 swap!!

Quick Reply: A big thanks to Gordonm for the RS500 swap!!