Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black factory c-3 15x8 rally wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 09:37 AM
bgl0b6
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black factory c-3 15x8 rally wheels?

I am trying to find out what I have,and if they are of any historical or other value.First off I realize any could be painted black,and that it is only paint.Here is what I have....Off craigslist I puchased a set of factory black rally wheels,still have the factory part label on them and also a yellow label to the dealer where they were originally sent,a Chevy Olds dealer in New York.They are AZ coded and the only date marks I can find is F184 by the lug area.They did have tires on them at one time.The guy I got them from is an older man who has a car collection he has had for many years.In his collection he has a 1969 Corvette factory race car,Black on black,roadster.He bought the car in 1974,and the wheels were not on the car but came with it.He said he didn;t know if the were originally from the car,just that they were with the car and parts he got in the package.I asked him if there was a posibility of them being from that car why did he want to sell them.He said they have been on a shelf in his shop since 1974 and it was time to do some cleaning of the shop,also he said the wheels on the car were a $3000. set of magnesium racing wheels which were on the car thru its racing career,he had pictures of it during that time and the race wheels were on it in all of them.I saw the car ,he still has it along with some other vintage race cars in his collection.I have never seen any rally wheels in any other factory color than silver,I maybe just missed it if they did make other colors,I'm no expert.Another guy on another web site said that if it were a COPO car,they may have been on the car from the factory and all the hi-per parts would have been shipped inside the car as extras.I bought the wheels for a price of any regular 15x8 rally,I didn't pay any premium for them.Before I powder coat them silver I am just wondering if anyone else knows what I have,I hate to destroy anything historic.Again I realize its just paint but want to check first....Mike bgl0b6@yahoo.com
Old 02-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Thats pretty long winded story!!
I think all rallies were the argent silver color.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

You have four service replacement rally wheels bought over the counter (yellow sticker) at a GM dealership.

For Corvette production, the argent silver was applied at the assembly plant.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 02-18-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:17 AM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
You have four service replacement rally wheels bought over the counter (yellow sticker) at a GM dealership.

Unusual perhaps, but not rare or historic IMO. Powder coat away . . .
Old 02-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

There's probably just as many black service replacement wheels around (subsequently painted whatever colour by their owners) as silver painted original wheels.

Beware of any person who tries to explain unusual features as being a COPO car.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:13 PM
bgl0b6
5th Gear

Default Thank you all for the info

I at least know I can use them without hurting any value of them.The guy who sold them to me said he didn't really know anything about them other than they came with the car,sold them to me for $200. for the set.The other info was only to check them out first and was offered by a guy on another web site as a possibility.The question arose as the seller did have an original '69 factory race car.Thank you all for the info....Mike
Old 02-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

The black rallies are those sold over the counter, as that's the color of all them are painted to prevent rust
Old 02-18-2012, 08:16 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by bgl0b6
The question arose as the seller did have an original '69 factory race car.Thank you all for the info....Mike
I'm gonna call a provisional 'BS' on that one too. Factory race car? Let's see some proof.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:41 PM
bgl0b6
5th Gear

You know,I couldn't tell you for sure,I don't claim to be an expert,I was just buying wheels for my Monte Carlo.What I saw was a 1969 Corvette in a beautiful unrestored condition,roadster with about a 3'' chrome roll cage,a 427 c.i motor and set up for road racing and about 200 pictures of the car in vintage racing events,early 70's vintage.Along with it he had an unrestored 1964 Plymouth Fury Max Wedge race car,1960's vintage,and 14-15 other vintage race cars from the late 50's to mid 70's,all with vintage pictures of their race days at each one.Some were nicer than others.He was quite a wealthy man,with a private collection in the basement of a large Factory that was set up like an auto race shop with all the.He appeared to have the history of all his cars,and he said for the 18-19 cars he had they had a combined insured value of over 3.5 million.Again I am not any expert as to what they were but they sure impressed me...Mike
Old 02-19-2012, 12:59 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

OK. The line has been cast, and the hook has the bait. Anyone gonna bite?
Old 02-19-2012, 09:27 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Wealthy man...check! Unbelievable car collection...check! Mention multiples of millions of dollars...check!

You forgot to mention that he befriended you late in life, didn't have any family, died, left you the estate, and directed you to sell the cars to "people who will care about them" for pennies on the dollar. And about how eBay shipping will handle the freight for a modest deposit of $xxx.

Need to get better at this scam thing. Unless, of course, you would like to provide a few specifics and even better, pictures.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:58 AM
bgl0b6
5th Gear

If you have read my posts,the purpose of this post was to find out about some wheels,a legit question.The cars were about the back round of where I got the wheels,nothing else,I don't own the cars nor are they for sale as far as I know.I was refered to this site by a guy on another site who said I would get some good answers as to what I had from decent guys,a few I did,the other comments you can keep.I saw what I saw,I could care less if you believe me or not.One of you has in the thousands of posts and from the 100 or so I read from him he has nothing but negitive posts and replies,every one he makes about any Corvette someone posts about is negitive.How can one man be so negitive and so smart.Others make it sound like I am trying to sell you something,all I wanted to know was if the wheels were possibly something of other value before I powder coated them,nothing else.I think a great deal of know how is wasted by a few peoples attitudes here.Sorry if I offended someone here,Thank you to the ones who offered legit answers,to the others,don't worry,I wont be back here,nor would I refer anyone else here....
Old 02-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

What I saw was a 1969 Corvette in a beautiful unrestored condition,roadster with about a 3'' chrome roll cage,a 427 c.i motor and set up for road racing and about 200 pictures of the car in vintage racing events,early 70's vintage.
There were hundreds of cars that were modified by their owners either when new or at some later date into 'racing cars'. Not one of them is a factory racing car. Please understand that there's a lot of guys here that have been around the hobby for decades and have heard all the stories a hundred times before.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:31 AM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

How can one man be so negitive and so smart.
Great observation. Unfortunately, some people don't have the skill of delivery.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by keithinspace
Wealthy man...check! Unbelievable car collection...check! Mention multiples of millions of dollars...check!

You forgot to mention that he befriended you late in life, didn't have any family, died, left you the estate, and directed you to sell the cars to "people who will care about them" for pennies on the dollar. And about how eBay shipping will handle the freight for a modest deposit of $xxx.

Need to get better at this scam thing. Unless, of course, you would like to provide a few specifics and even better, pictures.
My goodness, I must have really missed the sinister malice that this Original poster was really shoveling out!
I thought the whole time he wanted to know why a set of vette wheels were black, but really was trying to bilk millions out of unsuspecting vette buyers offering black market factory appearing race cars!
You truly are a bad man!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2012, 12:19 PM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LeMans Pete
Great observation. Unfortunately, some people don't have the skill of delivery.

Amen....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Tim H
My goodness, I must have really missed the sinister malice that this Original poster was really shoveling out!
I thought the whole time he wanted to know why a set of vette wheels were black, but really was trying to bilk millions out of unsuspecting vette buyers offering black market factory appearing race cars!
You truly are a bad man!!!!!!!!!

Amen X's 2......!

To the OP....I am glad you have received your answer and I apologize for the other forum members derogative comments. I believe you were sincere in your query. So, good luck with your powder coating of the wheels and be sure to post up some before and after photos.

Stay in tune....

Last edited by GREGG-73; 02-19-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:51 PM
502ci
Drifting

A nice detailed legit question.

I see there are still some nice people here willing to help but unfortunately a couple not so nice.

I'm the person who referred him here to hopefully get an answer but now I'm embarrassed that I did because of those couple responses...

Like I mentioned still some nice people here but to those people who have nothing good to add why don't you go surf and post in the "off topic" section where you belong...as we all know anything goes there and you will feel at home there. It's pretty bad getting harassed by a person who has been here for a while but I gotta say when a NOOB like keithinspace who has been here for a month and has nothing better to say has just one agenda and that is to bring down this Forum...

Get notified of new replies

To Black factory c-3 15x8 rally wheels?

Old 02-19-2012, 02:25 PM
C3bdj1
Racer

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by 502ci
A nice detailed legit question.

I see there are still some nice people here willing to help but unfortunately a couple not so nice.

I'm the person who referred him here to hopefully get an answer but now I'm embarrassed that I did because of those couple responses...

Like I mentioned still some nice people here but to those people who have nothing good to add why don't you go surf and post in the "off topic" section where you belong...as we all know anything goes there and you will feel at home there. It's pretty bad getting harassed by a person who has been here for a while but I gotta say when a NOOB like keithinspace who has been here for a month and has nothing better to say has just one agenda and that is to bring down this Forum...

I too am sorry for some of the replies you recieved. The old saying "There's one in every crowd" surely applies here on this forum. Unfortunately...there a lot more than just "One". They're everywhere.

Stay with us, most of us are not like the examples you saw on this post.

Bobby :thumbs
Old 02-19-2012, 09:41 PM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Way to go guy's, some of you really know how to **** people off.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:10 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

bgl0b6, don't go away mad, a forum like this is really just a large group of people, and in any large group of people you are going to find some who are negative, some who just want to argue, some who just want to crap all over anything that anybody else has, etc. Then you have the guys like me, who like to bust peoples chops over spelling errors and generally make jokes about stuff. Takes all kinds of people to make a forum, to paraphrase an old saying, so just take the good with the bad, and try to have enjoy it for what it is.......a bunch guys who like to talk about 'vettes.

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott

Quick Reply: Black factory c-3 15x8 rally wheels?