Anyone Thinking of Buying a TKO Trans?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 05:00 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by rj8806
That post couldn't be further from the truth. Tremec sets the price that ALL dealers have to sell the TKO for. They cannot sell it for less than what Tremec specifies or they run the risk of having their dealer priviliges pulled. The price set by Tremec is also for a base, unmodified TKO. That is not price fixing. As everyone on here already knows, a "stock in the box TKO" is not going to fit into a Corvette without major modification to the car and I have not met too many vette owners willing to cut their car in order to install a transmission.

Most all TKO dealers have the same base price for a modified TKO (modified in order to fit a vette in this case). As mentioned by someone else, the price difference is in the supporting parts/pieces.

Having worked both for Keisler and then American Powertrain ( I am no longer with either company by the way....), the biggest difference is the service you will recieve. Do your homework and "investigate" all potential companies and it will come easy to see who is going to stand with you in the event of problems. By the way...just cause you've been around the longest doesn't mean they are the best.

Good luck with the upgrade. It will absolutely your vette and make it that much more fun to drive.
Well, i humbly disagree about the price fixing, but unless someone is willing to take it to court, it is a moot point.... Thus...

This seems to be a good enough deal, thus Tuesday when they open, I to will be placing an order for a tko600

And thank you everyone that helped, was involved, on both sides of the line

im just debating on what will be the best final gearing for me....... im thinking the .64...

got to use that calc a few post before:-)

Last edited by pauldana; 02-19-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rj8806
That post couldn't be further from the truth. Tremec sets the price that ALL dealers have to sell the TKO for. They cannot sell it for less than what Tremec specifies or they run the risk of having their dealer priviliges pulled. The price set by Tremec is also for a base, unmodified TKO. That is not price fixing. As everyone on here already knows, a "stock in the box TKO" is not going to fit into a Corvette without major modification to the car and I have not met too many vette owners willing to cut their car in order to install a transmission.

Most all TKO dealers have the same base price for a modified TKO (modified in order to fit a vette in this case). As mentioned by someone else, the price difference is in the supporting parts/pieces.

Having worked both for Keisler and then American Powertrain ( I am no longer with either company by the way....), the biggest difference is the service you will recieve. Do your homework and "investigate" all potential companies and it will come easy to see who is going to stand with you in the event of problems. By the way...just cause you've been around the longest doesn't mean they are the best.

Good luck with the upgrade. It will absolutely your vette and make it that much more fun to drive.

By the way... you all made a great choice in vendors.
That sounds good about we made a great choice in vender
Old 03-02-2012, 03:00 PM
C6Matt
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

told me I was #14 on the GP... I cant wait for the trans to arrive!
Old 03-02-2012, 04:12 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is awesome - CF just gave them somewhere around $50K in orders. Glad they got rewarded for their pricing and service. Next time we have a group purchase of something pretty expensive we can point to this to help negotiations.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Boy, keisler really blew it on this buy,didnt they See what willing to deal with us and good service gets you.A big thank you to AP . and thanks again to 69vettefla,Josh

Last edited by Billysvette; 03-02-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:09 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Billy - my pleasure bud. I think Keisler had/has their hands full right now with their situation. The other vendors that I was talking to didn't take us as seriously as AP and I think doubted we would come through with the orders. I am sure they are sorry now.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:22 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Billysvette
Boy, keisler really blew it on this buy,didnt they See what willing to deal with us and good service gets you.A big thank you to AP . and thanks again to 69vettefla,Josh
Originally Posted by 69VetteFla
Billy - my pleasure bud. I think Keisler had/has their hands full right now with their situation. The other vendors that I was talking to didn't take us as seriously as AP and I think doubted we would come through with the orders. I am sure they are sorry now.

yea I agree.....im a little surprised though Hurst didn't work with us much better..... guess they may think twice also next time............... hope i get mine before the 24th.... i have that following week off.... give me the time do install the unit.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:15 AM
Keisler Automotive
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks,

We took your request seriously, and have done many group buys for Corvette Forums owners in the past. The reason we did not participate this time is because we have a lot of orders in house at the moment, and our focus is spent increasing our production rate by nearly 200% to knock the orders out in March. Had we comitted to this group buy, we could not have provided it to you in 4-7 days which is our normal lead time we will be back to soon.

Also, I have an important request for all of you: If you receive PM or public posting messages from anyone claiming to be former employees or sales people of KE with opinions or advise you like that posted above by rj8806, PLEASE PM ME and forward these messages to me.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Greatsteaks
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm about to order a tko-500 to swap from auto to 5spd in our 71. They have a 500 in stock but 600s are back ordered. Our 71 is stock 270hp and 3.36 rear gears and will stay that way within reason. Should I wait for the 600? It's only 100 more or will the 500 be just fine? It looks to me that the 500 is geared better for my rear gears? Also when converting from auto to manual do I need a new manual shift plate? Thanks!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:52 AM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by Keisler Automotive
Folks,

We took your request seriously, and have done many group buys for Corvette Forums owners in the past. The reason we did not participate this time is because we have a lot of orders in house at the moment, and our focus is spent increasing our production rate by nearly 200% to knock the orders out in March. Had we comitted to this group buy, we could not have provided it to you in 4-7 days which is our normal lead time we will be back to soon.

Also, I have an important request for all of you: If you receive PM or public posting messages from anyone claiming to be former employees or sales people of KE with opinions or advise you like that posted above by rj8806, PLEASE PM ME and forward these messages to me.
I have to say that Keisler did the right thing by not participating due to their backlog and being upfront about it and that is appreciated by me.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:51 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I have to say that Keisler did the right thing by not participating due to their backlog and being upfront about it and that is appreciated by me.
Did your kit ship out yet?
Old 03-16-2012, 11:56 AM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by qwank
Did your kit ship out yet?
Nope. Should have it in a couple of weeks. Glad to see that you got started on your swap
Old 03-16-2012, 12:28 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Got mine yesterday . Going to put her in the rack next Thursday.... I think I can finish the whole thing in 8-10'hrs
Old 03-16-2012, 12:31 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Originally Posted by pauldana
Got mine yesterday . Going to put her in the rack next Thursday.... I think I can finish the whole thing in 8-10'hrs
That is great - did you order a TKO 600?
Old 03-16-2012, 12:42 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

That is great - did you order a TKO 600?
Yup... 600 w/.64 od
Old 03-16-2012, 01:53 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Having all these swaps going on is so exciting.

Quick Reply: Anyone Thinking of Buying a TKO Trans?